UK car sales see first drop for six years

grajay

http://statista.com/statistics/385435/skoda-car-sales-in-united-kingdom 

Other than the Yeti was not dropped last year, prices were reduced or offers made to get more flogged off, you can buy a new one today if you want.

so there will still have been 13,000 or what ever first registered in 2017 and yet Skoda UK / Dealerships could not sell all they had available to them

Then the Kodiaq was introduced which sold, as did more of the Octavia, Superb and Fabia which are their top sellers in the UK with the Yeti in 4th place.

High demand for Yeti continues as ŠKODA expands factory capacity - ŠKODA.mhtml

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

I was going to keep my current diesel Yeti but it has become a minefield now

as the possibility of resale prices dropping through the floor and punitive tax

measures. It is time the next slew of "experts" emerged to reaffirm the diesel is "good"

57 minutes ago, gumdrop said:

I was going to keep my current diesel Yeti but it has become a minefield now

as the possibility of resale prices dropping through the floor and punitive tax

measures. It is time the next slew of "experts" emerged to reaffirm the diesel is "good"

I suspect any significant drop in the resale value will have already happened.

Most of the drive to get diesels off the road is aimed at the older cars (as noted by the one band increase in VED on new non-RDE2 diesels from april 2018). The newest cars being considered by the manufacturers' scrappage schemes are EU4 and earlier. The London T-charge only applies to EU3 vehicles and earlier (both petrol and diesel)

Unless you simply want a different car, I don't personally think the argument for selling an EU6 diesel Yeti now is compelling.

Edited by Gyp
Corrected the April 18 VED rules

The New VED one band rise means that a Brand New First Registered today Euro 6 Diesel with a First Year VED is £200

if that same car sits unsold and unregistered until April it will be with be £500 for First Years VED.  Same car.

The issue is that these Euro 6 Emission vehicles are ones tested under the tests pre September 2017.

Not the new real world testing.

As usual yesterday the SMMT Spokesperson never cleared that up or explained things.

Yesterday there was lots of chances to explain properly how Philip Hammond MP / Chancellor messed up.

& how Chris Grayling MP is clueless.

(Some guy on SKY was on about Ad-blue on forecourts being the 'blue liquid' you see at garages, 

maybe he is mixing up Windscreen wash with the Clear Liquid of Ad-blue)

That is all confusing to the public, that is not about Old Diesels.  

Pre Euro 6 emission vehicles (Euro 5) have not been allowed to be first registered in the UK since the introduction of EU 6 for passenger cars in 2016.

VW Group after the emissions scandal broke suspended sales, and then tried getting some registered and sold and were caught out.

adblue_0.jpg

61fAq2lBO3L._SL1280_.jpg

adblue-6.jpg

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

The New VED one band rise means that a Brand New First Registered today Euro 6 Diesel with a First Year VED is £200

if that same car sits unsold and unregistered until April it will be with be £500 for First Years VED.  Same car.

That is confusing to the public, that is not about Old Diesels.  

Pre Euro 6 emission vehicles (Euro 5) have not been allowed to be first registered in the UK since the introduction of EU 6 for passenger cars in 2016.

You're right, I'm wrong.

It's all non-RDE2 diesels (which will include Euro6) that get hit with the increased first year cost.

• Like 1

My 2.0TDI SCR is honkin on short cold trips now this winter, no problem last winter.

17,000 miles covered and people ask if i have spilt paraffin when i park up.

You might want to put the sound down.......

Edited by AwaoffSki

On 1/6/2018 at 10:02, Gyp said:

I suspect any significant drop in the resale value will have already happened.

Most of the drive to get diesels off the road is aimed at the older cars (as noted by the one band increase in VED on new non-RDE2 diesels from april 2018). The newest cars being considered by the manufacturers' scrappage schemes are EU4 and earlier. The London T-charge only applies to EU3 vehicles and earlier (both petrol and diesel)

Unless you simply want a different car, I don't personally think the argument for selling an EU6 diesel Yeti now is compelling.

I am planning on keeping my Euro6 diesel Octavia long term. I know that there is a possibilty that the value of it will plummett, that is why I will keep it for a good few years. However when the CO2 on the planet starts rising again due to all the petrol cars, maybe, just maybe diesel will have a resurgence? Like most things in life, everything gets tarred with the same brush especially in the media, whether its Euro 2 or 6. 

The SMMT Spokesperson never says they are not New Car Sales, they are just First Registrations, and if Manufacturers in the UK do less First Registration or Demonstrators etc that they punt as Ex Management then numbers First Registered Drop. (Selling new cars to yourself, to sell as Used cars)

Then they never mention the biggest Group Buyer Motability Finance and how as the UK Government take DLA / PIP away from tens of thousands and their cars have to be returned while they appeal, wait 6 or 7 months, that was thousands of Motability cars not ordered and first registered in 2017.

Thousands will not be getting a new car this year either if no longer eligible.

The £2,000 or so Transitional Payment that Motability the Charity or actually the UK Government  / Tax payer is paying out might be going to buy a 2nd hand car.

But then the SMMT are not going to get involved in that can of worms.

I've never owned a car that didn't 'plummet' in value. But then I've never owned anything really very interesting.

I always take a guess that a car will half in value every 3yr I own it. Then weep quietly in the corner.

• 1 month later...

^^^ 

Lots of vehicles will be dumped by manufacturers, for sale in the EU / Europe / Globally, 

petrol and diesels because they will not have Real World Test results before September 2018.

The results would make them unsellable probably.

Also the changes in company car tax rates is very negative to new cars petrol or diesel (hybrid & electric are OK) . My company has extended all the current leases by 6 months while they consider changes. 

Very likely we will switch to an ecop and people will opt for longer terms.