Leasing through ŠKODA Finance - who is named on the V5C?

So I'm looking at getting a personalised plate for my new Octavia for when it arrives in a couple of months, but it asks for the name of the registered keeper when I'm checking out.  I assume it will be ŠKODA Finance with it being a standard personal lease, but can anyone confirm?  Nowhere is open at the weekend to ask!

You won’t even see the V5 - the car will be in their name (VW financial services) and all correspondence e.g. parking fines, speeding tickets and the like will go to them.

You can still put on a plate without issue, you will just have to go through VWFS to do it.

Edited by GoneToBeemer

I would have thought that the V5 would be in the name of the person who leases the car. VW Finnance own the car but they are not the Registered keeper. The person who leases the car is.

The V5 is also not proof of ownership. There is some times time scales for paying fines ect ect and if the fines are sent to VW Finnance it could be 4 or 5 weeks before you get them.

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

I've just spoken to Skoda via their online chat,  according to them I will be the registered keeper.

I think I'll have to wait and get clarity from the lease broker tomorrow!  Knowing my luck whatever I put will end up being wrong!

Thanks for the responses guys.

I've leased mine through a Skoda dealer (Marshall) and the V5 is definitely in VWFS name and kept by them. I have also tried to put a private plate on the car but their system wouldn't let it through for some reason. 

When you're buying your plate, after you've confirmed exactly who the V5C owner will be, you will have to put them as your nominee for the plate. Jut be careful as the wording of VWFS or whoever else it needs to be must be exact on the nominee application or it won't work (Skoda think there's a colon missing from mine, hence it not going through)

• Like 1

If it helps I’ve got my 4 year old car on finance from a lender called money barn. 

Got it from a 2nd hand car dealer. I’m shown as the regerstered keeper but the car is owned by Money barn. 

If it’s personal lease (PCH) the V5 will not be in your name for sure.

PCP / Hire Purchase it will be.

All PCH really means is a long term hire agreement, so you never have the option at the end of your agreement to own the car.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoneToBeemer said:

If it’s personal lease (PCH) the V5 will not be in your name for sure.

PCP / Hire Purchase it will be.

This is spot on :)

Edited by ahenners
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jtalep said:

So I'm looking at getting a personalised plate for my new Octavia for when it arrives in a couple of months, but it asks for the name of the registered keeper when I'm checking out.  I assume it will be ŠKODA Finance with it being a standard personal lease, but can anyone confirm?  Nowhere is open at the weekend to ask!

If this was from a main dealer the owner would be Volkswagen Finance as mentioned, their process for cherished plates is here https://www.vwfinance.co.uk/en/privatecustomers/manage_agreement/request_changes/changing_your_registration_number/assigning-your-cherished-plate.html

I don't know if lease brokers also use Volkswagen Finance though.

As already mentioned a PCH through VWFS and the V5C is kept by VWFS, you never see it.

VWFS will let you put a cherished / private plate on their car but it all needs to be done by them, and as a result they charge an admin fee on top of the £80 charged by the DVLA, both to put it on and take it off!

The risk here is that the plate is on their car, as the car is registered to them, they have the rights to your cherished plate.

All of this meant we couldn't be bothered going through the rigmarole for a 24 month lease and so didn't bother, we left it on retention.

The same goes for taking the car abroad, you need to apply to VWFS for a copy of the VE105B too.

Edited by silver1011

10 minutes ago, ahenners said:

How do you get the plates made up without the V5? Most places usually want to see a copy of the V5.

Most, but not all B) despite what the law requires...

Edited by SWBoy

1 hour ago, SWBoy said:

Most, but not all B) despite what the law requires...

I bought my Private plates plates from a firm in the Isle of Manor even Ireland, Correct Font/spacing /size/colour. They have a kite mark and post code so all legal and the quality of the printing is 100% if not better.  All I had to do was tick a box to say I had the V5

Edited by Auric Goldfinger

2 hours ago, ahenners said:

How do you get the plates made up without the V5? Most places usually want to see a copy of the V5.

Some places do, some places don't.  I think if they list them as 'show plates' there isn't the same requirement and as long as they carry all the relevant markings and it's in the correct formatting then they're still legal.  I've bought a few plates in the past and never had to show the V5.

As an update to the original post I took the plunge and ordered my new reg, turns out you can update the nominee online for free so once I get confirmation of what name appears on the V5 I can just update it, wait for the new document to arrive and then send it to the dealer ready for them to do what they need to do when the car arrives in the UK (whenever that might be...)

13 minutes ago, jtalep said:

I think if they list them as 'show plates' there isn't the same requirement and as long as they carry all the relevant markings and it's in the correct formatting then they're still legal.  I've bought a few plates in the past and never had to show the V5.

I've had the same experience, and bizarrely the plates I got using a V5 were deemed 'illegally spaced' and failed an MOT but those I used to replace them without using a V5 have passed several MOTs since then!

Describing them as 'show plates' and not requiring a V5 does seem like a possible loophole that could be exploited for nefarious purposes (by which I mean cloned plates) though...

9 hours ago, Auric Goldfinger said:

I would have thought that the V5 would be in the name of the person who leases the car. VW Finnance own the car but they are not the Registered keeper. The person who leases the car is.

The V5 is also not proof of ownership. There is some times time scales for paying fines ect ect and if the fines are sent to VW Finnance it could be 4 or 5 weeks before you get them.

No the V5 is in the name of VWFS if thats who your lease is from. You will never see the V%, they are the registered keeper and the owner, you are merely hiring it from them.

In terms of getting the plates made up, you can get them made up using the retention certificate prior to sending it to VWFS (they asked me for an email copy) but they do send you a document you can use to get them made up.

Edited by paddy wagon