220 Vs 280 TSI

Hmmm, they must have done their research.

The number of 190TDIs sold with 2wd vs. 4wd might undermine or support your supposition.

However, there's no doubt about the trade off of cost / somewhat poorer fuel mileage for much better traction. I've driven the 190 with both 2wd and 4wd; the former was a pain by losing traction so often. Of course one could drive much more gently, but where's the pleasure in that...

9 hours ago, kriva said:

Yup, I still reckon Škoda wouldn’t sell much 280s if the 220 was available with 4x4.

more people would buy the 220 in 2WD than with AWD, hence why Skoda left the AWD configuration for the 280.

not everyone wants AWD.

1 hour ago, kriva said:

Of course, but that’s not what I said. I don’t think a lot of people would go for the 280 if the 220 was also available in AWD. There’s a difference there...

Agreed but depends on what additional cost is purely down to the engine.  The additional £4k is engine, front and rear brakes and 4 wheel drive system plus I suspect slightly different DSG to cope with additional drive train.

If the cost of the engine was £1k to £1.5k I think most would stump up for the extra;)

Had a refresher with a 280 Sportline Estate yesterday and what a peach of an engine!  Very smooth and civilised when you're just pootling but blip the paddles a few times and it's like standing on a land mine (even with the notoriously slow pedal response).  The standout point of the test drive was thinking that stop/start had kicked in as I couldn't hear the engine but it turns out it was just me being so used to the noise of a diesel that the petrol was mute in comparison.  Up until that point I actually thought the TDI in my current Sportline was fairly smooth and quiet.

I've just phoned the dealer and am likely going to order next week but will give myself a w'end to think it over.  18 week lead time on the hatch with my preferred options and I'm yet to decide on colour.  I still like Business Grey metallic and whilst it's 'another skoda grey' I think it will age well and suits the lines of the Superb.  The curve ball is I've always had a liking of Meteor Grey and this is now available on the Sportline (annoyingly it's a flat paint that costs the same as a metallic).  I had the chance to see both a Fabia MC and Octy vRS both in MG with black design packs and I thought it looked great.  Nice contrast with the black trim.  It actually looked better on the Fabia as that has similar shoulder swage lines as the Superb and a few different angles, whereas the Octy has a 'smoother' profile. 

As this is a new colour there's none in the dealers yet and I can't find a single promotional image of a Superb in this colour.  I really like the colour and the very similar Sazuka Grey doesn't look out of place on a big Audi such as the RS7 or RS6.  I really want to but am really dreading regretting my decision when I finally take delivery.

I love the black Sporlines that have been posted on here but we had two Black Magic vRS' at the same time and it played havoc with my car detailing OCD.  Velvet red is nice but at £900, a bit of a pi55 take.   I nice metallic blue or something other than 'meh' would be nice to have.  Too much choice, well in anything grey that is! 

Edited by penguin17

1 hour ago, penguin17 said:

I love the black Sporlines that have been posted on here but we had two Black Magic vRS' at the same time and it played havoc with my car detailing OCD.  

Sorry to off topic slightly but this comment caught my eye. :)

Just picked mine up last weekend, which is Black Magic Pearl.

I love detailing as well. B)

Used to spend hours on my previous cars, snow foaming, washing(two bucket method), claying, waxing and sealing. 

What products would you recommend for the black magic paintwork pal? 

2 hours ago, penguin17 said:

Had a refresher with a 280 Sportline Estate yesterday and what a peach of an engine!  Very smooth and civilised when you're just pootling but blip the paddles a few times and it's like standing on a land mine (even with the notoriously slow pedal response).  The standout point of the test drive was thinking that stop/start had kicked in as I couldn't hear the engine but it turns out it was just me being so used to the noise of a diesel that the petrol was mute in comparison.  Up until that point I actually thought the TDI in my current Sportline was fairly smooth and quiet.

It is a peach of an engine, knock it down a gear and she really takes off.  Great fun.  Makes a good noise too.

Love playing with mine against cars, hot hatch backs, that think they can beat me from the lights then cut in front, usual hot hatch trick.  Well maybe you just won't this time.  Real wolf in sheeps clothing.  Hope you order a 280, you won't be disappointed.

Remember she will like 98/99 RON fuel though.;)

5 minutes ago, RGKTSi said:

Remember she will like 98/99 RON fuel though.;)

Really? Besides, not many places in the UK to get the stuff.

I've tried 98&100 RON in Germany; couldn't really tell any difference. 95 seems just fine and, like I've said before, if 95 is OK for Porsches, it's OK for my run-of-the-mill EA888.

It is suggested on the inside of the fuel filler flap.  Many VW/Audi tuners suggest 98/99 as well.  All the petrol stations I purchase from all have 98/99.  I only ever put Shell Nitro + in mine here.

Abroad I put a good quality fuel that is highest octane petrol I can find.  I think from memory I was using 97 RON TOTAL.  All the TOTAL fuel stations sell it.

Probably quite hard to tell the difference but I have read the higher octane fuel can make 6 to 8 bhp more!

APR is a well known tuner in the states and here.  Stock car, shows a minimum increase of 5bhp, probably more and less chance of pre-ignition.

http://www.goapr.co.uk/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_gen3_mqb.html          Octavia/Golf GTi engine.

http://www.goapr.co.uk/products/ecu_upgrade_20tsi_gen3_mqb_r.html       Superb 280/Cupra 280/Golf R engine.  This is based on the Golf R engine EA888 Gen 3.  Gives you an idea of stock performance increase.

In all seriousness, I am sure it is hard to tell but I always use the good stuff but only do about 8K miles a year so minimal extra cost outlay so I just don't worry about it.

52 minutes ago, EddGee said:

Sorry to off topic slightly but this comment caught my eye. :)

Just picked mine up last weekend, which is Black Magic Pearl.

I love detailing as well. B)

Used to spend hours on my previous cars, snow foaming, washing(two bucket method), claying, waxing and sealing. 

What products would you recommend for the black magic paintwork pal? 

I think detailing products have moved on and are more readily available than when I had the BM vRS'.  There's a lot of choice out there but at the moment I really like Carlack 68 sealant with some Finish Kare 1000P wax over the top.  Lovely finish on my grey sportline.  It's also very durable and a spritz with Finish Kare 425 QD spray really helps bring out the metallic flake pop.  Something like Chemical Guys V7 QD would also make the most of the black magic finish. 

There's a few well regarded waxes for black - Poorboys Natty's paste wax, ODK Glamour Wax and Blackfire.  Poorboys Blackhole can also be used if you need something to fill any imperfections and can't polish them out.  Blackfire  Wet Diamond would be the one I would try if I had a black car at the mo.  I personally would stick with a synthetic sealant topped off with some Carnauba based wax; the sealant will really maximise reflection and the pearlescent characteristics then the carnauba will produce a slick gloss finish.  That's the theory I work to anyway, others may say and a professional will defo know otherwise! 

Not sure whereabouts 'Up North' you are but anywhere around N Yorks/Teesside you're welcome to pop round and borrow some stuff to see what works for you.   If you take a look on detailing world and similar forums you'll find links to some small and relatively unknown UK based firms who offer some good quality waxes at really good prices, they're usually very happy to supply testers too.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, penguin17 said:

I'm 99.9% set on a Meteor Grey 280.  Marmite colour I know but I love it and I've always been jealous of @Auric Goldfinger and his meteor grey/black spoiler ensemble.  

M grey wasn't available when i ordered mine but I might have been tempted if it had. Don't think you'll regret the 280 if my test drive was anything to go by.

3 weeks and 3 days to go......

New car.JPG

• Like 2

Oh and while we are on the topic of polishing,  having only ever used Autoglym SRP in the past what would you recommend for a laser white car (non-metalic)?

Someone is bound to doubt my sanity ( they always do) but for those of you who just want a clean car with minimum effort try the following. Wash your car as normal and then rinse from a watering can which contains cold water and a squirt of dishwasher rinse aid. You will be surprised that the paintwork dries without smears and exhibits a nice shine. (I have found that Lidl's Rinse Aid is better than Aldi's by the way)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, edwards said:

M grey wasn't available when i ordered mine but I might have been tempted if it had. Don't think you'll regret the 280 if my test drive was anything to go by.

3 weeks and 3 days to go......

New car.JPG

You need a medal for your patience!  I'd have prized the keys from the dealers hand the minute it arrived! 

25 minutes ago, Robbydazzler said:

Someone is bound to doubt my sanity ( they always do) but for those of you who just want a clean car with minimum effort try the following. Wash your car as normal and then rinse from a watering can which contains cold water and a squirt of dishwasher rinse aid. You will be surprised that the paintwork dries without smears and exhibits a nice shine. (I have found that Lidl's Rinse Aid is better than Aldi's by the way)

Yep, or just remove any nozzle from a garden hose and run it on a low pressure all over the car.  The water will just sheet away. 

2 hours ago, edwards said:

Oh and while we are on the topic of polishing,  having only ever used Autoglym SRP in the past what would you recommend for a laser white car (non-metalic)?

Something synthetic that will reflect as much light as possible.  Carlack Acrylic (I use this now, tis very good) or Autofinesse Tough kit, which I have never used but gets some good reviews for white cars. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, penguin17 said:

You need a medal for your patience!  I'd have prized the keys from the dealers hand the minute it arrived! 

Its been there a while too, it came in 9 weeks instead of the quoted 14...the salesman isnt helping as he keeps sending me videos of it. Still,  have picked the reg number now so no going back.

They did offer pickup straight away but I've had the same car for 14 years so a few more weeks wasn't too much to wait for the new one on the 18 plate.

1 hour ago, Robbydazzler said:

Jesus wept. 

Just reading this made me cringe. 

Please don't tell me you use a sponge to wash your car...? :crying:

Edited by EddGee

Can anyone explain how your plates work in the UK? It makes absolutely no sense (to me) that you want a brand new car sitting outside your dealer for weeks just because you want another plate on it. The car doesn´t get any better/worse (newer/older) no matter what plate is on it. I must admit, that there is quite a few things in the UK that seems... Ehm, different - but this one I don´t get :)

Help the stupid Dane, please ;)

3 minutes ago, RGKTSi said:

Whats the best way @EddGee?

There’s washing a car and then there’s detailing a car. 

Personally I’m no professional but I know how to care for paintwork. 

My my method is as follows:

1. Snow foam wash using pH neutral foam and snow foam lance attached to pressure washer. Leave the foam to settle and it acts as a loosening agent and removes sticky deposits and tar spots or they will loosen off during wash. 

2. Leave for 10-15 minutes then rinse off snow foam. The foam will turn brown/black and take a lot of road gunge with it making washing easier. 

3. Wash the car using a two bucket method. One bucket has a good quality wash. Again non abrasive or acidic pH neutral wash. Zymol car wash is excellent. The other bucket has fresh clean water to dip your washing mitten in to rinse it clean after each usage. The mitt must be non abrasive such as a lambs wool or something similar. Sponges contain all sorts of little gremlins such as grit and stones. A big no no. 

4. Clay the car using a good quality clay removing any tar or oil deposits a panel at a time. Lots of good clay bars need a decent lubricant to help the clay slide around the panels smoothly. 

5. Rinse the car again and towel dry using a micro fibre towel. 

6. Wax the car. I use CarLack68 nano systematic care. German top quality. 

7. Seal the car. Again I use CarLack68 Long Life Sealant for a decent seal. 

Drive around and enjoy. 

Usually lasts 3-6 months then needs reapplying. B)

Just how I do it. I stand to be corrected by people even more anal than myself. :biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, penguin17 said:

The curve ball is I've always had a liking of Meteor Grey and this is now available on the Sportline (annoyingly it's a flat paint that costs the same as a metallic).  

Meteor grey? Isnt that just grey primer? ;)

1308066.thumb.jpg.ba29aafa88b15d5b2c3901b5526e7a3b.jpg

Edited by xman
  • Haha 1