Swap FL vRS169 for vRS245?

Hi everyone

First Time poster, long time lurker. 

Hoping to get some honest feedback and recommendations to help give me piece of mind. 

So I’ve had my vRS169 facelift with every option ticked for a few months now and absolutely love the car. 

For or some reason though I feel like I’m missing out on something on the vRS245.

Now this could just be me having some sort of anxiety, overkill in thinking or being greedy in wanting the highest model in the Octavia range. 

So I’m now at a point where I am questioning myself, wondering if I have made the right decision. 

At the time of my purchase the 245 was yet to be released with no pricing available. It was anticipated the pricing difference would be up to 10k. 

I know there are some only minor differences between the two vRS models where I have tried to weigh up those options by researching this great forum space. 

It would be great to hear your advice on this. 

Thanks in advance. 

31 minutes ago, SashaGrace said:

If you want to replace yours with a new 245 I’m afraid you can't as production is suspended.

Also, were is 169 from? The vRS is available as a diesel with 184ps, a petrol with 230ps and another with 245ps in Mk3 flavour.

169 will be in kw. 

• Like 1

I agree with Sarah :biggrin:, and i have a 245. it's around 15bhp and 20nm difference. A remap would see you past that. 

Other than that I know the diff is better than 230, slightly bigger brakes which I doubt improve performance much and 7 speed wet dsg.

As mentioned I own a 245 dsg and not driven a 230 can't say if the bit extra power, diff, brakes and gearbox add up to enough of a better drive to justify swapping.

I guess you will be stung in the ass with depreciation trading in a few month old car.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Of course it's not what the car salesman would say (they're bent on the strong effect of the 'tuning' between the 2L engines) but it's purely a personal decision as to whether you like the stock 18" wheels or the bolder (too bold for me) 19" wheels and the marginally extra grunt. It is touted however to be more fuel efficient because the 7sp DSG has the extra power to hold onto higher gears, or whatever. Essentially, be happy with what you have, because there is always something else out there (or in production) that will make you think twice about your purchase. Don't be sucked into hype, but if there are other personal reasons to want a 245, then there is no other reason needed to justify the law of diminishing returns.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, SkodaAsh said:

Of course it's not what the car salesman would say (they're bent on the strong effect of the 'tuning' between the 2L engines) but it's purely a personal decision as to whether you like the stock 18" wheels or the bolder (too bold for me) 19" wheels and the marginally extra grunt. It is touted however to be more fuel efficient because the 7sp DSG has the extra power to hold onto higher gears, or whatever. Essentially, be happy with what you have, because there is always something else out there (or in production) that will make you think twice about your purchase. Don't be sucked into hype, but if there are other personal reasons to want a 245, then there is no other reason needed to justify the law of diminishing returns.

What he said. There's always a little extra power or upgrade to keep people buying what is essentially the same model until a completely revamped version such as Octavia IV. The new 230 is a great car, if it's a bit more oomph you want then you can always map it and surprise some 245 owners. 

I know the pre fl 230 has the vaq diff. But the op has a couple of months old car which means it will be the fl 230 which doesn't have the diff.

Edited by stepdavi

48 minutes ago, stepdavi said:

I know the pre fl 230 has the vaq diff. But the op has a couple of months old car which means it will be the fl 230 which doesn't have the diff.

Indeed. If the OP is like me though and just uses the car for commuting and ferrying the family around, upgrading for that won’t be worth it. IMO anyway. 

I agree. I was only answering the op question of what differences. 

2 minutes ago, SC03OTT said:

Indeed. If the OP is like me though and just uses the car for commuting and ferrying the family around, upgrading for that won’t be worth it. IMO anyway. 

• Like 1

In which case if you are all about compromise why even get a vRS except for badging / bragging sake, might as well get a fairly brisk turbo diesel !

If you want something that can double for doing all the above but also feel more like a weekend toy ( maybe even track weapon) -

then the petrol makes much more choice. Its more of a "thoroughbred".

You could try and make the diesel fast but to do so flies in the face of all the current wave of anti-diesel measures and increased MOT regulation so seems entirely pointless to me.

Haha. Okay I think we were thinking the same way based on the figures makes it sound like the CR :D

I'm right at the bottom of the rung with the 220 in terms of this post :)

Answering the OP point I don't worry too much about the margins between cars,

it would be nice to have ediff mainly as thats the only thing almost impossible but there are aftermarket differential options even, it would be more expensive to buy another car outright.At least he has the performance pack diff :)

The nicest thing about the 245 in gap to me I perceive is the alcantara seats

( before the 245 I thought that seats on my dads LK were better until they came out) tbh but they are just seats, nothign to lose sleep about.

The guy who massively modded his car for Revo had some of those Recaro Wingbacks, they are way expensive to obtain but far better than anything OEM put in the car anyway so you can always improve the car later way beyond what its shipped with. Note sure I'd want to spend a few grand on seats though !

Edited by vRSAnt

6 hours ago, stepdavi said:

This I’d like to confirm on my own pre-FL  RS but wouldn’t know where to look. Any idea how to find this out?

I have swapped my 220 for a 245 and I think its a completely different car performance wise.   Going from a manual to the new 7 speed DSG I can feel a reel difference.

The cars look the same but drive completely different, not only the differential.  The engine its self-has a modified manifold, different injectors and a revised turbo to compensate for the power upgrade.  It pulls a lot harder. The brakes on the 220 were good but the 245 is even better.  

I can't speak for the 230 and I know its only a small difference in figures but with the small changes, it's a completely different car.

Sorry mate but I gotta point out, that's is exactly what a lot of people seems to say about stage 1 (i.e. the car is as standard undertuned) too, so that isn't impossible to narrow the gap.

Not 100% of all the difference, but actually can make a fair difference - in fact probably then exceeds the 245.

Although if your plan was to do that also on a 245 then that would nullify the difference. Basically unless I was planing to get a new car anyway, I don't see the justification personally.

18 minutes ago, vRSAnt said:

Sorry mate but I gotta point out, that's is exactly what a lot of people seems to say about stage 1 (i.e. the car is as standard undertuned) too, so that isn't impossible to narrow the gap.

Not 100% of all the difference, but actually can make a fair difference - in fact probably then exceeds the 245.

Although if your plan was to do that also on a 245 then that would nullify the difference. Basically unless I was planing to get a new car anyway, I don't see the justification personally.

Completely agree, I didn’t plan to get rid of my 220 it was just that the deal was to good.  I had even modified my 220 with a Milltek, induction and tuning box and loved it. 

Just saying driving both they feel like completely different cars in stock, modified and 245 versions. 

Edited by pkoconnor
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, pkoconnor said:

I have swapped my 220 for a 245 and I think its a completely different car performance wise.   Going from a manual to the new 7 speed DSG I can feel a reel difference.

The cars look the same but drive completely different, not only the differential.  The engine its self-has a modified manifold, different injectors and a revised turbo to compensate for the power upgrade.  It pulls a lot harder. The brakes on the 220 were good but the 245 is even better.  

I can't speak for the 230 and I know its only a small difference in figures but with the small changes, it's a completely different car.

I was under the impression the 245 runs the same IS20 turbo as the rest of the MK3 petrols and there was simply a software update to increase the power?