220 sportine cosumption.

Hi there everyone. I've lurked for a while now, but have just taken delivery of my brand new sportline, so I thought I best join up.

It is an absolutely beautiful car, and I am very pleased with it.

I just have a quick question regarding consumption. At the moment, and I appreciate the engine is not yet "run in", I only appear to be getting on average 22mpg. This is on an 8 mile commute in mixed traffic. Should I be expecting more or is this the realistic figure others have experienced. I have it sat in Eco as well and have been very gentle with the acceleration, yet nothing seems to make a difference. Only me in the car and a small amount of luggage.

Thanks for your help in advance, and I'll get some pictures posted later.

Glenn

• Like 1

I don't pay any attention to the car's fuel consumption readouts. I take my mileage from the pump readings. My first fill-up returned only 26.5 mpg, but I was trying out all the suspension modes and fuel maps and flooring it on the onramps, etc. Since then, I've had a high of 40 mpg and an average over the year of 35 mpg. I also use the expensive petrol in my 220 ps Sportline.

It probably doesn’t help that it is very cold at the moment and so the engine takes longer to fully heat the oil up. And the engine will be tight.

Just on the point of economical driving, old fashioned cars used to use a very rich mixture during acceleration but modern cars tend to use other techniques to help cool the combustion area. So reasonably brisk acceleration shouldn’t be uneconomical and bear in mind that prolonged slow driving in a low gear is uneconomical. In other words, moderate acceleration that gets you into higher gears quicker, can be better than spending a long time in say 3rd gear at 20. What saps fuel is not acceleration, but braking. Therefore try to anticipate the need to slow down and close the throttle asap by looking well ahead.

I am not a fan of eco mode and to me there doesn’t seem much point in having a sporty car in that mode! Bear in mind that in normal mode with foot off the throttle, the engine rpm is kept up by the transmission and the fuel consumption is zero. In eco mode with foot off the throttle, the engine has to be kept at idle by using fuel so the fuel consumption is not zero.

Consider driving at 30, lights go red ahead so you lift off, and eventually have to brake. In eco mode you are using fuel until you have to brake. In D you use no fuel (except a momentary pulse as the DSG shifts down) until you come to a near stop. Of course the car slows more quickly, so it depends on whether the car will slow too much too quickly with the throttle closed in D. Inan urban situation, probably most often it won’t.

Therefore it depends on how much /how quickly you need to slow down as to whether there is any benefit, but I’d suggest that for urban driving there is nothing in it or possibly eco could be slightly less economical. It just depends on your driving technique and the traffic.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forums. :) 

As said above, you're basically seeing a mixture of factors at present: Running in period, cold winter weather and (potentially) traffic conditions on your commute. There's a big difference between 8 miles of open motorway or sparsely populated A road and 8 miles of twisting, hilly B road full of snow, for example. The car will use a good 10 to 15% more fuel during run-in in my experience. I got my 220 during warmer months but still only saw 25 to 27mpg, whereas now the car's run in I easily see 32-35mpg to a tank. Please bear in mind my particular usage is what they used to call 'severe service' and shouldn't be taken for 'best practice'; because I'm disabled my poor car basically does lots of short cold journeys and lots of revving. Most people easily see mid to late 30s to a tank overall once the car is run in, and indeed I still get late 30s to mid 40s on the motorway depending on traffic despite my harsh city driving day-to-day running conditions.

C6qj2E5WkAEM7Gl.thumb.jpg.d7975925b7fea0b227f380e0e75a9c2e.jpg

Have a read of the running-in thread (HERE), and search around the forum. You'll find plenty of 220 and 280 threads (they're the same engine, with bigger injectors and turbo on the 280). Nobody buys a 2.0 TSI because they're eco conscious (though tbh they could, and they'd not be wrong), but rest assured your figures will improve greatly after a couple of thousand miles by the warmer months. As a few said above higher octane fuel won't do any harm and generally pays for itself with this engine (99 RON, meaning Tesco Momentum 99 or Shell V-Power), but boggo 95 RON won't hurt too much unless you're really pressing on it hotter weather.

This engine loves to be revved once warm, and responds incredibly well to a long, hard, hot drive across country every week or so if you can manage it. It really helps 'clear out the pipes' and gets the engine feeling more agile, responsive and 'on its toes' around town for a few days afterwards. I often find if economy dips slightly and the car feels flat, a spirited run across twisting hilly roads adds a few MPG (and more smiles per mile) for a while afterwards again. As someone said above, you'll not find much of an economy penalty for using the revs (don't be scared to redline it once it's run in and the oil is warm), but braking down and then re-accelerating is what uses the fuel. There is also a difference between smoothly feeding in the power and just booting it from a standstill over and over... The former will sip fuel despite using the car's full performance, but the latter will drink like a fish! I can cover 100 miles across twisting B roads in manual or sport mode, never dipping below 3,500 rpm and regularly visiting the red line, and still get almost 40mpg by the time I'm home. It really is a very flexible and fun engine. Shame it doesn't have a manual box and RWD, it'd be just perfect!

Anyway, the long and short of it is just relax and let the engine do its thing for a couple of thousand miles. Don't forget to check the oil as they do tend to use a bit during run-in, but they don't seem to touch it after that. The oil on these has to be checked while the engine is warm. Get the water and oil up to temp (80 plus) and then let the car sit on level ground for two minutes so things can settle. Then check the oil with a clean rag or what-have-you. Checking when cold will give a misleading reading.

Have fun and enjoy your motor, but if you have any more questions there's plenty of folks on here who'd be happy to chat with you. Cheers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

What saps fuel is not acceleration, but braking. Therefore try to anticipate the need to slow down and close the throttle asap by looking well ahead.

Nick, I get what you are trying to say about eco driving, coasting and all, but the above statement really is untrue. Acceleration is the period of max energy useage and so fuel. Braking is an opportunity to recover/save a bit of fuel if you understand whats going on and how to minimise fuel during that period.

One thing that is very difficult to work out is what acceleration profile would be the most economic way to get up to speed. Obviously flooring it, or taking forever and a day hanging on to gears are not very good. I suppose that the ecu with ACC may be better than humans at working that out.

Also don't forget there's also an energy recovery system built in using an intelligent alternator" that does some regenerative braking and storing the energy in the battery, though in practice I suspect this is at quite a low level.

Edited by xman

7 minutes ago, GlennLyttle said:

Much appreciated for the responses so far guys. I will now being taking it out of eco (possibly for good) and will ignore these reading for now, and focus on the fun factor.

Yes, definitely ditch the Eco mode. Under very specific circumstances on lightly populated roads it can save a couple of MPG, but usually it just uses the same fuel or more and makes for a very flat, dull drive. 

As to the discussion above, braking technically uses no fuel at all. You’re off the throttle and (in the Superb’s case) recouping kinetic energy after all. It’s the accelerating again afterwards that does it... :D Hence why looking well ahead and anticipating traffic flow with acceleration sense (ie just using the throttle) saves fuel over the gas/brake/gas/brake method. 

@GlennLyttle how many miles do you have on the clock so far?

xman,

have you got your Euro 6 emissions car yet or driven one much?

Those with 'coasting function' can make considerable savings in fuel getting up to speed and then the drivers toe being off the accelerator just resting there.

Vw-CC-903332.jpg

Edited by AwaoffSki

So have you set the Tyre Pressures yet, and reset the TPMS.

& read the Owners manual on Driving in (Running in)?

You have new brakes / pads and they need wearing in, as does the rest of the suspension / drive train, and the greeness off the tyres.

Have fun with it.

It is not only the engines with ACT / COD that can benefit from changing driving styles, 

& not only with a DSG, but that does help.

Edited by AwaoffSki

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I am not a fan of eco mode and to me there doesn’t seem much point in having a sporty car in that mode! Bear in mind that in normal mode with foot off the throttle, the engine rpm is kept up by the transmission and the fuel consumption is zero. In eco mode with foot off the throttle, the engine has to be kept at idle by using fuel so the fuel consumption is not zero.

That's not the way Eco works though, when coasting the engine is turned off and disconnected from the drivetrain, hence zero fuel use and zero engine braking. On the right kind of road (rolling, straight) this can allow you to coast for a surprisingly large percentage of the time. I was in the Ardennes at the weekend and it was quite fun trying to maximise the coast/momentum without slowing down or unnerving passengers.

Not saying it is transformative in terms of MPG, but it does obviously use less fuel (unless you boot it on every upslope ;)). Doesn't work, or is at least neutral on fuel whilst providing a more jarring driving experience, on more twisty, up-and-down stuff.

44 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

xman,

have you got your Euro 6 emissions car yet or driven one much?

Those with 'coasting function' can make considerable savings in fuel getting up to speed.

That'll be breaking the laws of physics then...:blink:

No that is real world, as is now. 

?

Have you driven the newest cars other than on a roadtest. Euro 6 with Coasting Function?

PS

If posting a quote,  post all of it, the last word is not 'speed' as in your quote.

Edited by AwaoffSki

The engine is definitely running in coast. It sits at idle ready to respond. 

I still think it's worthwhile.  Usually, when you lift, yes the car uses no fuel but with the throttle slammed shut, it immediately begins engine braking which saps momentum very quickly. 

A large proportion of the population drive in a surge-lift-surge-lift style.  The coasting function smoothes this out and reduces their consumption.  Even smooth drivers have periods where they aren't braking or accelerating. Coasting maximises these periods.

Edited by dg360

19 minutes ago, juux said:

That's not the way Eco works though, when coasting the engine is turned off and disconnected from the drivetrain, hence zero fuel use and zero engine braking.

I doubt the engine is turned off while you are moving, that would be dangerous as you would lose power steering and eventually brake servo assistance. I think it just disconnects the drive train in the same way as dipping the clutch. A practice frowned upon by the highway code.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

No that is real world, as is now. 

?

Have you driven the newest cars other than on a roadtest. Euro 6 with Coasting Function?

PS

If posting a quote,  post all of it, the last word is not 'speed' as in your quote.

You claim coasting can save fuel getting up to speed, how is that possible? A nonsense statement. The rest of your post does not mitigate that statement.

Edited by xman

It is the 1.5TSI EVO that can be 'off' engine off, not just 2 cylinders shut down.  So ACT / COD in the latest, plus closed down engine.

xman.  read as posted.

I said get up to speed and toe off the throttle,  (accelerator)

so coasting, this can save fuel,  as posted, if you are not at speed you are not coasting, or it is slower before you are coasting.

yes i do claim it, drive and get it, 

when you try it see if you can as well.   Simple as that.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

Good.

So that is the bit on your English education, my Doric education covered, and our decades of driving and experiences might be similar or maybe not.

I have been able to hypermile for years now in many auto's, and then when i got my first DQ200 and a twincharger VW were there helping, 

trying out functions with customers as paying road test dummies, and now it seems to be coming together, 

Turbo on Demand, Cylinder on demand, drive on demand, regeneration (not burning off ash type),  etc etc.

Now the Implausible / Irregular Co2 g/km & MPG figures need proved in the real world.

• Confused 1

Confused,

OK Clear English then.

The cars are smarter than the drivers sometimes. Put into 'D' and drive. sometimes lift off the throttle.

Try it, see if it saves fuel.  & try a DSG sometime, with an open mind.

My point about coasting was in an urban stop start environment which the OP mentioned. Having got up to say 30 and then see a need to stop (traffic lights, roundabout etc) very often coasting will not slow down enough, braking will be required. And in fact had the car been left in D it would more likely to come to a stop with less braking and less fuel used.

On the open road, coasting can certainly save fuel. I don’t use Eco mode on my 280, but many years ago I had a Saab 96V4 with freewheel, which definitely added a few mpg when in use even though in those days and engine on overrun did still use fuel.

• Like 2

Gawd all this talk of saving fuel. Do people really buy expensive, heavily depreciating biggish petrol engine cars and then worry about whether they spend £40 instead of £20 a week enjoying them? Just hit the county roads,  knock it into manual or sport and floor the bloody things haha. You’re a long time dead and one day you might not even get the option of a proper nice ICE car.  :D 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, xman said:

Nick, I get what you are trying to say about eco driving, coasting and all, but the above statement really is untrue. Acceleration is the period of max energy useage and so fuel. Braking is an opportunity to recover/save a bit of fuel if you understand whats going on and how to minimise fuel during that period.

One thing that is very difficult to work out is what acceleration profile would be the most economic way to get up to speed. Obviously flooring it, or taking forever and a day hanging on to gears are not very good. I suppose that the ecu with ACC may be better than humans at working that out.

Also don't forget there's also an energy recovery system built in using an intelligent alternator" that does some regenerative braking and storing the energy in the battery, though in practice I suspect this is at quite a low level.

My statement is “untrue” at a simplistic level. Of course acceleration and steady speeds use more fuel than when braking (and I think the regenerative element is minimal unless the battery is low). However acceleration and steady speed is a necessity to go anywhere. As soon as the brakes are used, energy is dumped as brake heat and that energy has to be replaced by another period of high fuel consumption acceleration. If you can avoid braking but close the throttle to slow down, you will use less fuel because you will have stopped using fuel earlier (anticipation of needing to slow down/stop).

Edited by nicknorman
  • Like 1