Can not find a replacement for dear old Yeti

paco

Just a thought, do all the 2017 Yeti SE Drive models have the Amundson Sat Nav / DAB fitted ? And why do some Yeti's have completely colour coded rear bumpers and others still have plastic strip in the middle? 

Guest FurryFriend

Yes, the SE Drive models DO have the Amundsen Satnav and DAB factory fitted. 

It was part of a package of very nice extras put on the final models. 

On 22/01/2018 at 15:47, AwaoffSki said:

Total morons, discontinuing a model that could not sell 100,000 a year globally

That's pretty low. 

Plus VAG with the MQB chassis has gone the same route as many manufacturer collaborations. One chassis, same parts bin,  just put a different body & sparkly bits on it and build different brand versions in one factory. 

• Like 1

I think it's obvious why Skoda have dropped the Yeti in favour of the Karoq. The Yeti was made up of a mish mash of various VAG parts which wondrously all came together brilliantly to make a great car - happenstance as well as great engineering and the Yeti was almost universally applauded as a vehicle which excelled in most departments. Problem was when it came to replace the Yeti Skoda were limited by the MQB chassis to make more or less endless clones of the Ateca, Audi and VW small SUV's. One great delight was that they didn't try, and then call it a "Yeti 2", or whatever, at least the Yeti will live on as a unique one off without the name being degraded by being absorbed into blandness. Fact of life is that most cars from all major manufacturers are coalescing into almost identical "efficient" white goods - and for most people that is exactly what they want - and deserve!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 24/01/2018 at 20:03, FurryFriend said:

Yeah. Says it all. 

Seats out, and you have an instant small van with an impressive amount  of space. We looked at a new Jeep initially.... What a joke. The seats don't fold fully, and you certainly can't get a flat floor loadspace, never mind remove them. 

Even the salesman had to admit that it was pretty useless. 

I want versatility and use from a car, not bling and style. 

I think the current designers have completely lost the plot. 

Jeep don’t have to compete on international markets when they already have a captive large domestic market.

Trump’s anti trade policies will simply reinforce that non competitive situation (ironically it’s the progressive ‘blue states’ that produce the internationally competitive products) unless Marchionne demands more.

There was a time when you identified and were identified with your car.

We are being herded into the same paddock now..........and in transition.......

4 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

That, and not enough people were buying them.

They gave it a fair chance, but no point face lifting again when sales were a flop.

...and in spite of Top Gear’s promo too.

Guest FurryFriend

No, we were both just amazed that an American vehicle like a Jeep had so little useable space inside it. 

Whatever happened to the Great American Outdoors experience where the whole family piled in, like the Chevy Chase movies complete with canoes, bikes, rifles, camping gear, sleeping bags, rucksacks, axes, chainsaws, grandma, 6 kids, 4 dogs, 2 bear traps, 4 fishing rods, nets, groundsheets, camping stoves, water, barbeque, and enough beans for a month? 

Or were our expectations too high. :D

JEEP is a brand, like Skoda is a brand.

There are various models of JEEP's in different sizes, seating, space etc. even talk again of a Fiat Panda type size one, as they spoke about when the YETI was a concept.

Jeep-Grand-Wagoneer-#.jpg

header.jpg

Edited by AwaoffSki

Whilst the present yeti has been and still is great for me with very little problems I am totally put off ,not by appearance of the Karoq,I think it’s a good option BUT for me the cheating and lying by VAG which has severely damaged the Diesel engine ,diesel car sales and diesel car values so if I do decide to change, any VAG PRODUCT  will be off my list unless I I’m unable to get a decent P/X from other manufacturers because of the Vag scandal and the fix fail problems adding to the troubles.

1 minute ago, Sad555 said:

Whilst the present yeti has been and still is great for me with very little problems I am totally put off ,not by appearance of the Karoq,I think it’s a good option BUT for me the cheating and lying by VAG which has severely damaged the Diesel engine ,diesel car sales and diesel car values so if I do decide to change, any VAG PRODUCT  will be off my list unless I I’m unable to get a decent P/X from other manufacturers because of the Vag scandal and the fix fail problems adding to the troubles.

Isn’t that just the point!

Unless their replacement is irresistible why do they expect you to continue to be faithful to the brand knowing what we know now.

• Like 1

On ‎20‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 18:32, paco said:

T Roc, Karoq, Golf SV, Kona, all have the same problem for me, with the driver seat set at the lowest position, the roof line at the top of the windscreen is a bit too low causing me to tilt my head down slightly which leads to a neck ache, my Yeti has no such problems and i don't even need it on the lowest setting, anyone else have this problem or can recommend a Yeti size car with a high roof ?  I feared the Karoq would be 'streamlined' in this way, and yep, it has, what a shame. I may have to just get one of the last Yeti's as a replacement although i was wanting a change, when did they stop fitting the 5 CD Bolero?

Well, ive gone and done it !!! bought myself a 7 month old 2800mls 17 plate 1.2 SE Drive Yeti, just brought it home 2 hours ago. drove it home for approx. 60 miles it drives great but not much different to my 1.2 2012 model. I was surprised when the dealer told me [ after i asked where it was ] that it did not come with a service record book !? " its all online now" . there's lots of gadgets to play with and get used to, so i will post a report in due course. 

• Like 2

Good.

You can just ask them to print out your invoice, report and service details at services and then you will have a paper record.

You can buy a Service book and get stamps in it if you want, the dealership can fill in the details from when the car was PDI's and you took over the car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, paco said:

Well, ive gone and done it !!! bought myself a 7 month old 2800mls 17 plate 1.2 SE Drive Yeti, just brought it home 2 hours ago. drove it home for approx. 60 miles it drives great but not much different to my 1.2 2012 model. I was surprised when the dealer told me [ after i asked where it was ] that it did not come with a service record book !? " its all online now" . there's lots of gadgets to play with and get used to, so i will post a report in due course. 

Great - you will probably find the newer 1.2 engine more economic than the earlier version. I am getting approx 2.5 MPG better fuel consumption in same conditions/roads.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Expatman said:

Great - you will probably find the newer 1.2 engine more economic than the earlier version. I am getting approx 2.5 MPG better fuel consumption in same conditions/roads.

OK, mine are 17" wheels but so were my previous ones, just noticed this evening when i checked it was still on the drive :tongueout:, that the inside door sides are black plastic on the new one but my 2012 SE had a material covering that matched the seats :angry:.

Just read this thread and the OP's decision to get one more from the old range, makes sense.

The car is quite unique.

I used to like the old boxy Nissan X-trail which I considered streets ahead of its replacement.

The original post mostly complained about the front window line/headroom height in alternatives but I noticed there was no mention of the current Subaru Forester. 

Great visibility from the square all-round windows but obviously nowhere near the internal efficiency/flexibility of the Yeti, but you can almost wear a top hat in the car though, in terms of the headroom.

Guest FurryFriend

Interestingly, at the recent Detroit Motor Show, Mercedes are reintroducing an updated version of the original 1979 shaped model which they have called the G Class. 

Funny that......

It looks very similar to our Yetis...... Mercedes say "The shape resonates with our customers and the attention it's getting is unbelievable" 

** Four things we learnt from this year's Detroit car show - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42699500

You screwed up Skoda.   We LIKE the shape.  BRING IT BACK!! 

Edited by FurryFriend

Back when I was running long wheelbase Landies, our next-door neighbour had a G-Wagen.  Very nice... 

Noteworthy that Merc consider it a viable product, even at its 1% share of their US business. 

On 21/01/2018 at 12:01, pinkpanther said:

I'm also struggling to find a suitable replacement for my Yeti.

I've test driven numerous alternatives (3008, Ateca, Kodiak and most recently Karoq) but despite the obvious improvements in on-board technology, I still feel most at home in the current Yeti (2014 140 BHP TDi).

I test drove a 2.0 TDi DSG Karoq Edition yesterday and although it was probably the best of the bunch I've test-driven recently, it somehow didn't seem worth >£30k. I was somewhat disappointed by both excessive road / tyre roar (19" wheels / Bridgestone tyres) and noise / harshness from the 150 BHP Euro 6 engine. It averaged around 30 MPG over my 20 mile test drive (only 100 miles on the clock though).

A 1.5 TSi manual may yet prove to be a viable option, but I suspect I'd miss both the traction afforded by the Haldex 4x4 and independent rear suspension  (torsion beam set-up on 2WD vs multi-link on 4WD).

I did find myself considering a "last on the line" Yeti 4x4 (at just over £21k), but these are diesel only and the Ad-blue system seems very much an after thought (internal filler neck). The new Karoq I test drove was showing an Ad-blue range of 5500 miles.

decisions, decisions .........................................

I've now driven a petrol Karoq 1.5 TSi SE L) and found it OK, but again tyre noise a little excessive.

It went OK, but the same engine in the Octavia feels genuinely nippy, whereas it was merely OK in the admittedly larger and more upright Karoq.

The car had only covered 410 miles and was showing a long-term average of 33 MPG (20 MPH average speed).

This Karoq was more realistically priced and is probably the model I'd go for, rather than the 150 BHP 4x4 DSG TDi Edition, which felt a little  overpriced at >£30k.

All things considered I think I'll keep my current Yeti and follow through on planned maintenance / enhancements (cambelt / water pump, 312 mm brake conversion, rear disc/pad replacement and possibly uprated dampers).

I also have a few zinc inclusions to address / touch-up, along with some stone chips and a couple of door dings (careless drivers in carparks).

I've owned many (>100) cars over the years, but haven't had this much deliberation regarding a replacement car!  I'd ideally like a 1.4 4x4 Yeti, but these are still too costly, relatively rare and too close to the cost of a new Karoq, 

Edited by pinkpanther