Can not find a replacement for dear old Yeti

paco

Just since 2015.

Suzuki had something to offer obviously as VW bought 20% of them and Suzuki only bought the last shares back the night before the VW Scandal broke in September 2015.

VW / Audi happy to build engines and electrics & cars in Hungary, and Suzuki build the Vitara there.

Edited by AwaoffSki

Guest FurryFriend

It was a 2008 model, so older, but put us off Suzuki as a brand. 

The 2017 model we saw here in Newcastle on Tyne was just as tinny, so definitely wouldn't be on our list. I see it as a cheap build. If thats their best model it's a disgrace. 

Vitaras have been around since 1988.

As always, you pays yer money, you makes yer choice. I would say don't waste yours. 

Edited by FurryFriend

^^^ Some from 1988 are still around, and also from 2008 in as good a condition as a 2009 Yeti.

So many used hard, then become playthings and used as offroaders, broken, scrapped used to keep others running.

Lots of versions over the years. Suzuki & Fiat engines.

http://howmanyleft.co.uk 

Best not to waste your money, let others then that allows more others to get a used bargain.

Edited by AwaoffSki

3 hours ago, FurryFriend said:

Vitaras have been around since 1988.

And back in the day they were renowned for feeling unstable (not ideal in something at least nominally capable of being taken off a metalled road) and having unpredictable handling.  A friend of my brother in law was once given one free, gratis and for nothing.  He gave it back the next day, it was that bad (he described it as having tried to kill him).  Anyone who wants a 'classic' Vitara is welcome to it, I won't be trying to steal their place in the queue.  More recent ones may have fewer homicidal tendencies but FurryFriend's description doesn't make me want to rush out and look at one.

Guest FurryFriend
2 hours ago, Sad555 said:

If you want a replica box not a jelly mould why not this 

A56D0B4F-F8C2-4BB8-AADB-EB2C61028D7F.png

That's a car we seriously looked at. It's a lovely car, and the interior is absolutely outstanding. We were torn between the Soul and the Yeti. I would certainly consider it.  

The Kia dealer Jennings of Washington is very close to us, and we looked at it several times, but they were not budging at all on their price of around £24000 for an outright cash sale on the top of range MAXX model so I bought the Yeti. 

I think their sales lady was too eager for a big commission. We always buy cash but I won't be pushed around. 

Edited by FurryFriend

I’ve had one before and might even look at again ,the quality is even better now and good value with good space not quite the finish of the yeti but I never had any problems and more for your money

Soul Electric sells quite well in other countries than the UK.

Skoda still talking about it and showing a show model, and sometime in the future they will have the tech,

if they had it and missed putting it in the Yeti they could at least of had it ready for the Citigo, Fabia or the Karoq..

Sad55,

just a reply to say that if The Elk (mouse test) test did have the Vitara considered to be unstable they went on to sell millions globally over the next 20 years,  (i thought it was The Samuri then the Jimny that were supposed to have the Stability issue, but they sold in the millions as well.)

The Vitara & Grand Vitara's where sold in various body styles and lengths and engines and drivetrains, 3 door, Convertible, 5 door, 5door XL, and the name continues to be used today.

If Skoda had maybe done more choices in the Yeti they might have been as successful sales wise and longevity wise as Suzuki have been with the Vitara.

*Cars without ESP and even ASB do and did handle differently obviously, or obvious to most drivers, and Skoda had no SUV until 2009, and then it had ESP.*

So the Vitara's could not have been all bad considering the sales over a 20 year period, and them evolving and developing, lighter, safer and various to chose engine / drivetrain wise.

Edited by AwaoffSki

Guest FurryFriend
On 20/01/2018 at 18:54, edencampers said:

My problem with a Yeti replacement is the Tardis effect. Cars like  Kias and and Toyotas are much larger than the Yeti  but inside are much smaller. I carry two bikes, an mtb and a road bike with just the front wheels removed. I also carrya full size spare wheel straped to the side rails next to the bikes. OK the rear seats are removed, but I tried a bike in the back of a kia and it wouldnt go in upright. A Honda CRV maybe a possibilty, but its bigger outside than the Yeti.

The Karok or what ever its called has the removable seats and bikes would fit...but the tail gate slopes..and its a bigger car.

Beforethe Yetis I had a Roomster, that lived up to its name, and before that Berlingo.

Why dont car designers think about space instead of connectivity...

Says it all. 

All they are thinking about is mass production, and with constantly falling car sales they clearly haven't got it right. It's mass marketing at its worst. 

I used to own 2x Volvo 940 GLE models. I bought them both brand new and on the same day, an estate and a saloon. They were 2 of the best cars I ever owned. Legendary Volvo reliability and safety, acres of space, and simple to repair. My wife and I drove them all over the UK and Europe, often using both cars on  1000+ mile journeys. We went back to the same dealer in Exeter when we needed to replace them. The saloon had done 230,000 miles, the estate 375,000. Neither of them had needed any major work during their lives. 100% reliability. 

The guy who inherited our estate car is still running it now with over 450,000 miles on it. Still on the original engine. 

Sorry, said the salesman, Volvo have stopped making the estates. Sorry, said we, and took our money elsewhere. Approx £55,000 lost sale. Serious dosh. 

We bought 2 Citroen Grand Picassos. Good cars, but illustrates exactly why car manufacturers  can so easily lose customers by sacrificing well proven models for blingy tripe. 

Imho that's what we need. A step back from fashion, and a step back again to cars that actually are of use to their owners, and don't need constant garage attention once they hit 50,000 miles. 

You manufacturers have lost the plot. Your designers are designing rubbish. 

14 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

^^^ Some from 1988 are still around, and also from 2008 in as good a condition as a 2009 Yeti.

So many used hard, then become playthings and used as offroaders, broken, scrapped used to keep others running.

Lots of versions over the years. Suzuki & Fiat engines.

http://howmanyleft.co.uk 

Best not to waste your money, let others then that allows more others to get a used bargain.

The Lada was rubbish too.......amazingly successful rubbish for the desperate Russian.

1 hour ago, AwaoffSki said:

Sad55,

just a reply to say that if The Elk (mouse test) test did have the Vitara considered to be unstable they went on to sell millions globally over the next 20 years,  (i thought it was The Samuri then the Jimny that were supposed to have the Stability issue, but they sold in the millions as well.)

Personally, and not wishing to upset the tree huggers and animal rights etc, I wouldnt swerve for a mouse .... I'd just run over it! or are mice really that large in Scandinavia?  :blush:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FurryFriend said:

Says it all. 

All they are thinking about is mass production, and with constantly falling car sales they clearly haven't got it right. It's mass marketing at its worst. 

I used to own 2x Volvo 940 GLE models. I bought them both brand new and on the same day, an estate and a saloon. They were 2 of the best cars I ever owned. Legendary Volvo reliability and safety, acres of space, and simple to repair. My wife and I drove them all over the UK and Europe, often using both cars on  1000+ mile journeys. We went back to the same dealer in Exeter when we needed to replace them. The saloon had done 230,000 miles, the estate 375,000. Neither of them had needed any major work during their lives. 100% reliability. 

The guy who inherited our estate car is still running it now with over 450,000 miles on it. Still on the original engine. 

Sorry, said the salesman, Volvo have stopped making the estates. Sorry, said we, and took our money elsewhere. Approx £55,000 lost sale. Serious dosh. 

We bought 2 Citroen Grand Picassos. Good cars, but illustrates exactly why car manufacturers  can so easily lose customers by sacrificing well proven models for blingy tripe. 

Imho that's what we need. A step back from fashion, and a step back again to cars that actually are of use to their owners, and don't need constant garage attention once they hit 50,000 miles. 

You manufacturers have lost the plot. Your designers are designing rubbish. 

Legislative requirements dominate design these days and constant change is destroying resale.

The A

graham47

•  
  • 130 posts
  • Car:2015 Yeti Outdoor 1.2 DSG Moon White

Isn’t the Soul diesel only ?

That would be a problem for me...

DIESEL ONLY.  .??.? Not really petrol 13o  bhp and 201 bhp with dsg  and a all electric

12 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

And back in the day they were renowned for feeling unstable (not ideal in something at least nominally capable of being taken off a metalled road) and having unpredictable handling.  A friend of my brother in law was once given one free, gratis and for nothing.  He gave it back the next day, it was that bad (he described it as having tried to kill him).  Anyone who wants a 'classic' Vitara is welcome to it, I won't be trying to steal their place in the queue.  More recent ones may have fewer homicidal tendencies but FurryFriend's description doesn't make me want to rush out and look at one.

You need to look at a few on line reviews, start with Honest John, modern Vitaras are generally reviewed as excellent  vehicles.

• Like 1

Sometimes the review and experiences of a long term BRISKODA member is worth reading and considering. Someone that was in the car trade and knows their 

understeer from their oversteer and their way around a corner & out of it again.

Someone that has the vehicle rather than the friend of someone that a family member married, who other forum members have no idea about.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/350315-suzuki-vitara-new-model-and-s-cross-thread/?page=4 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/350315-suzuki-vitara-new-model-and-s-cross-thread/?page=1 

Edited by AwaoffSki

Guest FurryFriend
3 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

Sometimes the review and experiences of a long term BRISKODA member is worth reading and considering. Someone that was in the car trade and knows their 

understeer from their oversteer and their way around a corner & out of it again.

Someone that has the vehicle rather than the friend of someone that a family member married, who other forum members have no idea about.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/350315-suzuki-vitara-new-model-and-s-cross-thread/?page=4 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/350315-suzuki-vitara-new-model-and-s-cross-thread/?page=1 

I take your point that whilst reviews and recommendations are a good starting point, going and checking a brand new car out in a showroom cuts through all the claims manufacturers make. 

I have 17 years experience in the motor trade, mostly in auto electrical manufacturing. But whilst not having been a Skoda owner for long, I have owned and driven probably close on 100 different vehicles  in my lifetime. So the views of owner drivers are, in my opinion, every bit as valuable as those of long term members. 

I could not, hand on heart, recommend any vehicle of any make or model knowing that I had had major issues with it. 

I also know from visiting showrooms and seeing the brand new 2017 model on show, sat in it, and seen the poor quality of it compared with other similarly priced cars,  that the Vitara was not a car I would have parted with £20,000 for. 

Personally I would not pay cash money for one either,  but then I drove them not just looked at them.  As to replacements for a Yeti for around 20 grand that would seem to be the unsold Yeti on offer,  but then they are only diesel ones so seem to be not selling like hot cakes.

6 hours ago, FurryFriend said:

Says it all. 

The problem is owners were spoilt with the Yeti and to a degree the Roomster. 

Both for niche markets Skoda hoped to widen, but reality was the market is just too small to be viable for a major player, and naturally this makes the bean counters twitchy in VW HQ. 

The Yeti wasn't even that popular, despite owners here, UNTIL the face-lift everyone hated. 

Unfortunately consumer demand and safety legislation drive design. 

Even Nissan found this with the Juke. Didn't really sell that well compared to the Captur which has the same underpinnings, just a better shell and bigger interior. 

The last Juke 2 designs I saw in a car mag went back to proven "same as everyone else" design in a hope to win customers back. 

The new MQB  system should mean the newer VAG models are bigger inside than the Yeti. 

• Like 1

I'm pondering what to opt for next as I'm almost halfway through my lease. If another small SUV the only one I like the look of at the moment is the Toyota C-HR.

I'm talking myself into a petrol Octavia VRS though as the babba will be into a booster seat by then and won't have to worry about my back! 

I test drove a Seat Arona and was very similar drive to my Yeti, even easier in City streets and obviously controls are very similar.  It’s slightly smaller, was very impressed with 1 litre DSG.  Quicker than I expected.

Should have ordered one last week, I was still dithering, but price has now gone up, and PCP interest rate up. Delivery was about 4 months.   It seems the (brilliant) petrol DSG combination struggles to meet demand.  Less than 5% of used are petrol autos, as it appears over ordered manual stock compared to DSG

23 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

As to replacements for a Yeti for around 20 grand that would seem to be the unsold Yeti on offer,  but then they are only diesel ones so seem to be not selling like hot cakes.

They seem to be selling well enough to me, in as much as I would dearly love to find a 150ps 4x4 DSG SE L Drive and am so far coming up with nothing.  I contacted Westgate/Grimsby Skoda about the list on their web site as posted by camelspyyder a fortnight ago and all the ones in that spec had gone.  They did find one more but someone else bagged it over the Easter break before the salesman managed to e-mail me details of the deal they were offering me :(  They've been digging around for me since then but so far nada.  So where are all these diesel Drives that no-one can sell?

• Like 1

That is good then if they got them all sold or leased and people got a bargain.

When the First Registered numbers are available next month we can see how many there were in the first quarter.

EDIT.

21 Yeti with under 100 miles on them some with 10 Delivery miles on autotrader today. 19 Manual & 2 DSG.

(a 1.2 TSI & a 2.0TDI SCR Outdoor SEL)

All First Registered before the VED increase.

1 car advertised & in Northern Ireland and £250 delivery to Mainland Europe.

http://autotrader.co.uk 

Edited by AwaoffSki