Can not find a replacement for dear old Yeti

paco

T Roc, Karoq, Golf SV, Kona, all have the same problem for me, with the driver seat set at the lowest position, the roof line at the top of the windscreen is a bit too low causing me to tilt my head down slightly which leads to a neck ache, my Yeti has no such problems and i don't even need it on the lowest setting, anyone else have this problem or can recommend a Yeti size car with a high roof ?  I feared the Karoq would be 'streamlined' in this way, and yep, it has, what a shame. I may have to just get one of the last Yeti's as a replacement although i was wanting a change, when did they stop fitting the 5 CD Bolero?

My problem with a Yeti replacement is the Tardis effect. Cars like  Kias and and Toyotas are much larger than the Yeti  but inside are much smaller. I carry two bikes, an mtb and a road bike with just the front wheels removed. I also carrya full size spare wheel straped to the side rails next to the bikes. OK the rear seats are removed, but I tried a bike in the back of a kia and it wouldnt go in upright. A Honda CRV maybe a possibilty, but its bigger outside than the Yeti.

The Karok or what ever its called has the removable seats and bikes would fit...but the tail gate slopes..and its a bigger car.

Beforethe Yetis I had a Roomster, that lived up to its name, and before that Berlingo.

Why dont car designers think about space instead of connectivity...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paco said:

When did they stop fitting the 5 CD Bolero?

This went when the Yeti facelift was introduced.  A high capacity SD card will take much more than the contents of 5 CDs, even with minimal compression.

2 hours ago, paco said:

T Roc, Karoq, Golf SV, Kona, all have the same problem for me, with the driver seat set at the lowest position, the roof line at the top of the windscreen is a bit too low causing me to tilt my head down slightly which leads to a neck ache, my Yeti has no such problems and i don't even need it on the lowest setting, anyone else have this problem or can recommend a Yeti size car with a high roof ?  I feared the Karoq would be 'streamlined' in this way, and yep, it has, what a shame. I may have to just get one of the last Yeti's as a replacement although i was wanting a change, when did they stop fitting the 5 CD Bolero?

No vision problems with the C4 Picasso.......an absolute glasshouse!

It’s categorised as an MPV.....not the fashion these days apparently.

The Picasso has a simple Japanese 6 speed automatic which I expect to give long term reliability, a sorted engine and not much otherwise, that I can think of.

It’ll accept a 10’ (3m) piece of 4x2......full flush rear seats and folding front pax too, plus even better visibility at roundabouts.

17 hours ago, paco said:

I'm also struggling to find a suitable replacement for my Yeti.

I've test driven numerous alternatives (3008, Ateca, Kodiak and most recently Karoq) but despite the obvious improvements in on-board technology, I still feel most at home in the current Yeti (2014 140 BHP TDi).

I test drove a 2.0 TDi DSG Karoq Edition yesterday and although it was probably the best of the bunch I've test-driven recently, it somehow didn't seem worth >£30k. I was somewhat disappointed by both excessive road / tyre roar (19" wheels / Bridgestone tyres) and noise / harshness from the 150 BHP Euro 6 engine. It averaged around 30 MPG over my 20 mile test drive (only 100 miles on the clock though).

A 1.5 TSi manual may yet prove to be a viable option, but I suspect I'd miss both the traction afforded by the Haldex 4x4 and independent rear suspension  (torsion beam set-up on 2WD vs multi-link on 4WD).

I did find myself considering a "last on the line" Yeti 4x4 (at just over £21k), but these are diesel only and the Ad-blue system seems very much an after thought (internal filler neck). The new Karoq I test drove was showing an Ad-blue range of 5500 miles.

decisions, decisions .........................................

The aforegoing comments do not fill me with joy. I am anticipating with restraint, the release of the 190 Tdi Karoq which some forum members have intimated is due for summertime. If it ticks the boxes it will replace my 2015 4x4 170 Elegance, but I am beginning to get cold feet and doubt if it is what I am waiting for. I had a look at the VW T-Roc, its a lightweight shopping trolley with a bit of tinsel added to attract the younger set, plus it appears too delicate and twee for my uses.

M

PS 17 for KTM

Edited by ktm690rr

19 hours ago, Zib said:

This went when the Yeti facelift was introduced.  A high capacity SD card will take much more than the contents of 5 CDs, even with minimal compression.

My F/L Yeti is fitted with is multi DC player with the SD at the bottom .

19 hours ago, Zib said:

Thanks for the reply, my current 5 cd bolero takes a sd card as well and if i play the same tracks the cd version always sounds better, but most new cars are not fitted with a cd player unfortunately.

Difficult replacing Yeti

Good load capacity as very boxy in shape (the swooping rear of most alternatives means they need to be 0.4m (or more) longer to get same item in (we bought a small chest freezer once, happily carried it)

Yeti headroom is good, if headroom is key (like thread opener), maybe new Citroen aircross.  

If luxury required try a BMW 2 series active tourer

If 4x4 capacity, try a Vitara, or new Hyundai Kona, or wait for VW T-cross (the VW version of Arona), or a Jeep

As a Yeti owner, would buy another if still made, the Karoq is good, but too long (and wide) for parking spaces in some older car parks in the city.   I wish there was an Arona size Skoda, as Arona spec is bit odd

I understand it is to be a Fabia sized SUV, ( Komb Over) so would be the size of an Arona.

Surely they are not doing another basically the size of a Karoq.

Does nobody ever think of a Ford Kuga as a Yeti replacement?

DSCN3585.JPG.0b0daee360066ef2bbd307d86ae892a5.JPG

seat-arona-rear-cornering.jpg

0e34c262c7a3df18812122b29a733781dc1f4041.jpg

Edited by AwaoffSki

1 hour ago, kenfowler3966 said:

I understood there was to be a new Skoda suv in 2019 based on the VW T-roc. This would be virtually the same size as the Yeti and hence its true replacement?

The T-roc is same size as Karoq

The smaller one is T-cross (due to launch Geneva show, on sale Autumn 2018)

There are 2 different rumours of the Skoda, one is basically a rebadged Seat Arona (think similar to bigger Ateca/Kaoq spec differences), the other is a scout version (slightly jacked up version) of the face lifted Fabia from summer 2018 (bit of plastic cladding added but 2wd).   Neither are true Yeti replacements.

There has been other versions of scout (roomster etc) so not that crazy a concept (and in my opinion better idea than Fabia redline with its 1970s go-faster stripes)

^^^ Arona only FWD. like the T-Cross will be and the Fabia SUV sized one, 

unless maybe they go Light Hybrid and then a small petrol engine and part time AWD. 

Can but wish.

5 hours ago, paco said:

Thanks for the reply, my current 5 cd bolero takes a sd card as well and if i play the same tracks the cd version always sounds better, but most new cars are not fitted with a cd player unfortunately.

Unless you have got exceptionally good hearing, that means the tracks have been over-compressed in conversion to mp3 or similar.  Have you tried ripping a track at the highest possible bit rate and then comparing?

Skoda aren't launching the "new" smaller SUV until late in 2019 so I can't see it just being a simple Skoda badged Arona. In the 2 years till launch technology will move on - as will competitors small SUV's - so isn't it more likely that the new small Skoda SUV will be a later development of the Arona and T Cross? What would be the point of Skoda simply launching their version of a 2 year old design Arona? 

Guest FurryFriend
On 20/01/2018 at 18:54, edencampers said:

My problem with a Yeti replacement is the Tardis effect. Cars like  Kias and and Toyotas are much larger than the Yeti  but inside are much smaller. I carry two bikes, an mtb and a road bike with just the front wheels removed. I also carrya full size spare wheel straped to the side rails next to the bikes. OK the rear seats are removed, but I tried a bike in the back of a kia and it wouldnt go in upright. A Honda CRV maybe a possibilty, but its bigger outside than the Yeti.

The Karok or what ever its called has the removable seats and bikes would fit...but the tail gate slopes..and its a bigger car.

Beforethe Yetis I had a Roomster, that lived up to its name, and before that Berlingo.

Why dont car designers think about space instead of connectivity...

Because they're IDIOTS. 

We all wanted to keep the Yeti. All of us who own them KNOW how great they are, and how versatile they are. 

But the Fashion Police as I call them, decided otherwise. 

They all want Jelly Moulds, they said. 

No doubt others of you are getting 'invitations' from your dealers to go and check out the new Karoq.... Not a chance. Just another hideous JELLY MOULD. Like 80% of such rubbish on todays roads. Boring, boring boring cars. 

Sorry Skoda, but you lost our business. It's NOT what we want. I want another Yeti. 

Like I said...... IDIOTS. :angry:

Edited by FurryFriend

Total morons, discontinuing a model that could not sell 100,000 a year globally and that Skoda UK are struggling to flog of the last of.  No shortage of new or nearly new ones for enthusiasts that want to buy one or more as a keeper.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Haha 1

Guest FurryFriend

I think you're right Ken. 

And I take your point AwaoffSki. But the bean counters lost this one. It's not always about money. They have turned CUSTOMERS away from what they call 'the brand' in these PR correct times. 

Not smart business sense. We won't be back.