Running Boards; Expensive Bauble or Useful Accessory

Falkster

After seeing these pics, if I wanted the running boards I'd buy the OEM ones. That install is so much tidier and smoother.

I'm still pooping my twousers a little over the aftermarket ironmongery you posted in the past!  These shots make up for that.

Edited by TheRobinK
  • Like 1

Very tidy .. you get what you pay for! The direct 4x4 youtube videos on fitting their own running boards are utterly appalling. Who the hell would touch those or have that company to fit. Hacked up panels galore. I had asked Superskoda for a photocopy of the install instructions to help me decide if I wished to purchase the Skoda originals and fit myself. Got a short response, dealer fit and nothing more. If the doors need to come off I see why. I do like them to be fair taking into consideration all comments above ..

Edited by jasoncmiles
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Kids love them though, makes it much easier for the little one to clamber aboard.

Any chance of a picture with the door(s) open? With the doors shut, it doesn't look like there is actually much to stand on!

I paid £900 for...

Running boards

Rubber mats front and rear

Rear tunnel rubber cover

Boot mat

Rear mudflaps

Touch-up Pen

All fitted.

I guess this nets the running boards down to around £750.

We even got a couple of books for the kids and a teddy bear...

20180615_115501.thumb.jpg.79048065d6bddcb7b84003996b0b3eb9.jpg

20180615_101743.thumb.jpg.805a0ffda39bc0c1d1da12097e0647ce.jpg

20180615_102007.thumb.jpg.164332979d88ee7eeaddc5d3bd8082dd.jpg

• 1 month later...

Some useful information from a fellow member if you're planning to source the running boards outside of the Skoda dealer network i.e. Superskoda...

The running boards are genuine Skoda from Superskoda, but be aware that if you buy from them they don't include the rubber gasket that goes between the running board and the sill  (£15.00 from the dealer)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, robdav said:

..and the point of the running boards is...?? 

...to make the car look nice to the owner. Same reason some people religiously clean theirs. :tongueout:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WiggosSideburns said:

...to make the car look nice to the owner. Same reason some people religiously clean theirs. :tongueout:

Ouch :)

I thought there might be more to it than that but if not, that's cool. Don't think my mrs would let me shell out for a set seeing i raided the piggy bank for the scout recently lol 

Some more helpful feedback...

We have two young kids. They climb onto the steps and then step into the car, rather than clamber over the painted sill.

They are also able to stand on the step to reach the internal grab handles to pull closed the rear doors, rather than me following them round the car and closing the doors for them.

There is some additional protection against people opening their doors into your car as they protrude out a fraction further than the door mouldings.

They negate the need for steps when loading or unloading a roof box or roof-mounted bike carrier, and make cleaning the roof and windscreen much easier.

Aesthetically they finish the car off nicely and break up the swathes of cheap looking matt black plastic along the bottom of the doors.

As you can see from my pictures the genuine Skoda running boards offer up quite a lot of additional protection to the sills from debris, salt and stone chips etc. as well as helping keep the car clean, it's quite surprising how little spray makes it's way passed the boards and onto the doors.

Opening the rear doors the other day, one of the kids toys fell out, and landed on the step rather than the big muddy puddle on the ground.

With the doors open I sit on them to put on / take off my walking socks / boots / wellies whilst the boot lip is occupied by the wife and kids.

They suit the Scout much better than the other Kodiaq models as the chrome strip compliments the aluminium bumper inserts.

Edited by silver1011

Dealer fit only.

They aren't cheap so you need to be sure the benefits for your circumstances are there. I know I wanted them before I bought the car so factored in the cost from day one.

I'd have had them for appearances and access for the kids only to be honest. All of the other advantages were a bonus.

Each to their own but the running boards are more use to me than blind spot assist, ACC, park assist etc.

fair play. had Blind spot, acc, park assist and the rest of the "driver assistance" stuff on my company car a while back and turned every single one off. ACC was OK but not brilliant so didn't spec any of them when it came to getting the Kodiaq but the boards do look interesting... 

I was fortunate that they were installed on the ex-demo model I bought and can definitely recommend if you have young children as my 3yr old can climb in herself using them

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ace_dynamo said:

I was fortunate that they were installed on the ex-demo model I bought and can definitely recommend if you have young children as my 3yr old can climb in herself using them

Young Children?

My wife's little legs would like those as well.:biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If they were cheaper I'd get them to protect my car doors for that reason alone. Car in today to have the door resprayed. I wonder over the life of the car which would work out cheaper!

47 minutes ago, KKB24 said:

If they were cheaper I'd get them to protect my car doors for that reason alone. Car in today to have the door resprayed. I wonder over the life of the car which would work out cheaper!

I presume that you had some damage to your door, if so then wouldn't the running boards have been damaged even if that meant your doors were not damaged.

1 hour ago, silver1011 said:

Ouch, was that another cars door being opened into yours?

Yes and typically no note left. It was less than 16 hours old and only had 33 miles on the clock :angry:

Never mind, it'll look as good as new tomorrow.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, KKB24 said:

Yes and typically no note left.

I'm not sure how opening a door would do that - can't tell from the picture but it doesn't look dented, which you would expect?

And getting back on topic... by the look of how high that impact is, I don't think running boards would have stopped it anyway.