Superb Newbie - a few questions about odd things

Have you thought of using the Eco mode Facet!?? It's pretty good in congestion! :D

Joking aside, the same argument could be made about why you saved your money on getting the spec that you did. I think you've answered your own question. Also, I suspect, and don't know for certain but the Eco mode is probably less 'sluggish' with a Diesel due to the larger amount of low end torque. I don't find mine gets me onto the back of Mabel's 1.0l Ford Ka econetic any faster in other modes in reality...I may as well coast there and save some pennies! Haha

2 hours ago, facet edge said:

I still find it funny that anyone will set a car to eco mode and make the car sluggish. Why did people spend thousands of pounds on a car and then ruin the experience to save a couple of pounds?

a) there are times when sluggish doesn't make any difference anyway (e.g. in slow traffic, or you have passengers who aren't up to it) = you can't always make use of the car's performance
b ) every little helps - a bit of fuel saving, a few less emissions  - no harm in that
c) it doesn't "ruin the experience".. part of the experience is the "luxury" and comfort... it doesn't change that (might say it even improves it)

d) the superb and the octy are excellent all rounders... so, frankly, if I'm carrying 300kg of fire briquettes in the back, I'm not worried about performance, but load carrying

e) it's not really any more sluggish in E - have paddles will use; have S will use..

sounds like you only expect to drive the car for one purpose, which, ironically, is kinda wasting its all-round capability. :)

Edited by mr.nik

34 minutes ago, Legfitter said:

Have you thought of using the Eco mode Facet!?? It's pretty good in congestion! :D

I agree, and SWMBO prefers the ride quality (ooerr missus) around the local roads in Eco. For motorway / fast A roads it's pretty much always normal for me, with a flick of the stick to S for a quick getaway at the roundabout. Full sport is interesting when driving progressively on the twisty bits, but the car is so much better than I am that I suspect I will never see the fullest of its capabilities there. It's nice to have the options. Even if we have to set them before we set off (anyone else cancel start-stop as their first action after start-up?)

Us and our first-world problems eh? :D

• 1 month later...

Haven’t tried individual yet but will. I also queried the the conflicting indication with my dealership and was told that it was the way SKODA had decided to do it and that no doubt they had a reason, I just think they have not fully joined up their changes in the infotainment system.

i would prefer to be able to select a mode and keep it until I want to change it, you can pull back the gear selector to activate sport if needed and again to return to your selected mode. 

On 22/01/2018 at 14:34, mr.nik said:

I'm totally thrilled with my new sportline 280...    

but i do have a few questions - i'm happy to be told "known problem" or "there is a thread for that" - but I noticed a few quirks so far, and wondered if it was just me:

1) the navigation system seems to lose its memory of the fact that "google maps" option is ticked, and sometimes just comes up with plain maps; haven't quite worked out exactly when yet, but is this a known "feature"? (or is it to do with mobile reception?)
2) When the car has been in ECO mode and stopped, and then started up again, the screen display shows ECO mode selection, but the "maxidot" displays shows "D", not "E", and indeed, the car behaves as if in a regular mode that doesn't do coasting..   i have to manually re-select ECO mode to activate it. 

3) I can't get media command to connect, and it's possible i didn't order that, but neither will any of the other skoda apps connect. Do they all rely on media command, and is that something can be enabled in VCDS - or is it dealer only. And should I be able to get the other skoda apps to work anyway?  (the online portal thing that stores trips etc. is working fine)

still trying to get to terms with the whole automatic parking brake  :-) 

Thanks for reading,

nik

I haven’t found any problems with the SatNav as yet although I was annoyed that I do do not have the latest maps in a new car and that updates would take 8 hours to download and then 4 hours to upload to the car, so I guess this will not happen. Oh one niggle why do they hide postcode selection.

Skoda select registration was fairly straight forward although initially it would not recognise my vin but that changed after a week of ownership. Once you are up and running “My SKODA” constantly asks for locations of events in your calendar which is irritating.

The parking brake I like as you no longer have to sit with your foot on the brake when stationary and it releases when you touch the accelerator or pull back on the ACC stalk. I have been told by the dealership that the brake lights remain on, not checked this yet, but this goes against all those government adverts about not blinding fellow road users.

I updated the Sat Nav... It's really straight forward other than needing a spare large SD card. The website opens a downloader that manages the huge download and then (and I find this out after doing the 50 minutes in the car option) it can upgrade in the background while you use the car as normal. So, if you do a one hour journey it carries on as you use the system like normal. 

I don't use the Google maps because I need to use my phone's data having not ordered it. I never remember to turn the hotspot on in my phone so can't help you there.

I just leave the brake on auto. I think it works great until you get in a car without it again! Haha 

48 minutes ago, dst1234 said:

then 4 hours to upload to the car,

It has never taken more than about 30 minutes for the uploads to the cars that I have done ( 5 up to date I think) and, as has been said, just put the card in the car and it will look after itself  by auto restarting next time you drive if it hasn't finished when you stop.

The download from the website is, indeed, a pain. It takes me 10 hours on my connection speed. I have a Volvo to do as well and that takes just as long. They are complete downloads each time rather than just updating changes and you cannot select individual countries; it is continental Europe or nothing. (sigh)

I think it manages to do updates with a lot of pauses because the updates are for regions - even the UK is split into different sections. Mine took a good few short trips because I was not using the car much or for long each time.

I think the download took about an hour - but it is 25GB.

3 hours ago, dst1234 said:

I have been told by the dealership that the brake lights remain on, not checked this yet, but this goes against all those government adverts about not blinding fellow road users.

The lights do stay on but it is very easy to flick the handbrake switch. Then the lights will extinguish. Simply pressing the accelerator will get you going again and the auto brake will still be working.

• Like 1

Auto hold does not engage the electronic parking brake. It holds pressure in the brake lines and therefore brakes are applied hence the brake lights being on. Engage the electronic parking brake and this engages the actual parking brakes on the rear wheels - you can hear them engage. You can still pull away just as easily with the EPB on as auto hold.

Providing you''re wearing your seatbelt and the driver door is closed, turn off ignition with the auto hold engaged and the EPB will engage.

If you look in the maxi dot display, auto hold shows the (P) in green whereas it's red if you have the EPB on.

Edited by rtj70

Thanks on both things. Will start on the map update I believe I have an sd card large enough. On the brakes front using the parking break is an additional chore, although it should stop things from seizing up, previous cars only had hand break applied by garage often a surprise when collecting the car. Brakes lights remaining on could be extra security I suppose.

Previous dsgs applying the handbrake in drive caused the front end to raise up.

16 minutes ago, dst1234 said:

it should stop things from seizing up

When you stop the car and turn off the ignition it will apply the EPB if as I say auto hold is on (so seat belt fastened and door closed).