Noisy car!

Hello all!

I'm new to this forum and Skoda. So please be gently

I've recently purchased (Dec 2017) my second hand skoda octavia SE business ( 1.6 diesel) 66plate. 

After owner the car for a few weeks, i'm feeling very disappointed. The car seems very noisy, whether this is wind/external noise, road noise and engine noise. 

wind noise can start at low spends, to the point i'm sure door seals /sound proofing are faulty or just rubbish. 

Road noise. yes this is dependent on the road surface but it seems to be on any road unless the smoothest new tarmac! for information, my tyres are dunlop sports bluresponse (RR) 205/55R16 91V.

engine noise. having the smaller 1.6 diesel engine with 5 gears. i wasn't expecting formula 1 performance but i'm pleasantly surprised to how nippy it feels.  However, this is not a comfortable motorway cruiser. try sitting 70mph on the motorway and with the engine revs just above 2000rpm. the engine noise is quite loud in the cabin to the point i was thinking the car is struggling. For testing only, squeeze the pedal and it will go to 80mph  very quickly so i'm not sure its a power issue. Even those it does sound like its struggling. This is with no passengers or luggage.   

Ive recently asked skoda to look into the vehicle. One thing i did notice the external door seals do not appear very tight.  Its hard to see, but in the middle of the picture, ive lightly press this seal, and if you can see the seal as pushed into the gap.  other octavia's this seal feels very solid against the body. Checking the other seals around my car, they are better however still loose and soft compared to other octavia's. Yes, this might be nothing but i so much what this car to be better.   

my wife as a 09 plate fiesta petrol which seem a lot more refined. In fact, every car in my car history seem more refined than my octavia. 

So, my question is.... Was i expecting too much from my first skoda, and this lack of refinement is normal. or do i have a issue with my car? 

i hope someone can help! my next setup was sound proofing the car (noise killer) and possible fitting a engine acoustics blanket... Or swopping the car for my wifes little fiesta!   

AA339BC0-FAA9-4DDA-9B4B-6AC9D6973273.jpeg

Did you test drive the 1.6tdi before purchasing? Simply test drive another 1.6tdi SE business and that'll tell you if the issue is with your car.

My first Skoda too, collected mine late December. Haven't used the car that much but from my observations - engine very refined (it's a 1.4tsi so there's bound to be a difference there) but as for road noise (on 17") and wind noise - no complaints whatsoever. Last journey was 40 odd miles at 70mph on motorway - I was really impressed by the refinement.  

@wellsy1, impossible to help you in this way, you simply must try another diesel Octavia.

1.6 goes with 5 speed gearbox? Cars with 6th speed benefit a lot on the open road.

Based on my experience, Octavia isn't that brilliant, but overall it is a very decent ride. If you suffer an issue with seals, I suppose this can be solved. Maybe the door needs to be adjusted to lock itself more closer to the opening, but that's really need someone to look the issues in person.

We are owners of two octavias, and the first one is from 2013, to be replaced in 2-3 months. Although very small mileage, you feel this car gets old, it becomes more noisy, but overall it is still decent. It is a 2.0 diesel. Petrol one is much more refined, and this is something you really feel in the lower segments. In higher segments diesels are nicely damped, but in lower segments more silent petrol engine nearly without any vibrations, really makes a difference of how you perceive the car.

What does make a difference in Octavia quite a lot are tyres. Somehow suspension doesn't filter much of the road noise, making this car very much tyre sensitive.

I too have the same engine, although my car runs on 17 inch wheels, so 16 I would imagine would be much better in terms of refinement.

It is well documented on this forum that refinement (or lack of) is an issue for some. After 2 years of ownership I am getting used to it, but soundproofing and comfort are certainly not as good as my previous mk2. It is a more enjoyable and easy drive though I feel. The economy is brilliant and I never find it to be lacking in performance. A 6th gear would be nice though.

Tyre quality is important though. I have Dunlop on my front at the moment and would be happy to fit again. I have experienced 'Sawtoothing' on the rears which didn't help noise levels (Dunlop may be more susceptible than others possibly?) I have also had the front wheelbearings replaced recently due to 'droning', again this helped and is quite a common issue. My car is approaching 60,000 miles, although I have read others replacing them much sooner under warranty.

As for wind noise, I can't say I have noticed it too much, so worth a trial with another to see if yours is particularly bad.

All in all, my ownership has been a bit love/hate! So many positives in general, but a bit more finesse would be the icing on the cake. When I consider replacements though I always seem to migrate back to Octavia's!

Wellsy, part of the issue with noise and refinement will be related to a diesel motor and a bonnet without sound deadening, some of it comes I’m afraid from a torsion beam back axle - basically a single piece axle which tends to transmit a fair bit of noise and vibration across the car. Not much you can realistically do about that.

Petrol Octavias are a bit quieter, but I’m surprised at the noise you mention on motorways - even a 1.6 TDi should be ok at those speeds.

good afternoon,

Thanks for your quick response and Yes i appreciate its hard to help due to the issues with the car . Just wanted peoples opinion on refinement and if my findings are the same as others. Just ive a felling skoda will tell me octavia's are noisy and its the characteristics of the vehicle.    

Yeah i did do a test drive. first was a SEL spec, same engine. Then a small test drive with the SE business which i finally choose. Based on colour and i dont like leather seats.  to be fair,i guess i've been a little naive after reading reviews and doing the usually small test drive.  Just on paper the vehicle is quicker than my previous cars (year 2000 focus petrol, 2007 seat leon 1.9 diesel and then 2012 alfa mito 1.3 diesel.) and guess i was just expecting it too be more refined too( as you can see my previous cars they are definitely  not luxury cars). 

Ride wise, i dont mind it... Its more how noisy the cabin seems. 

1 minute ago, MorrisOx said:

Wellsy, part of the issue with noise and refinement will be related to a diesel motor and a bonnet without sound deadening, some of it comes I’m afraid from a torsion beam back axle - basically a single piece axle which tends to transmit a fair bit of noise and vibration across the car. Not much you can realistically do about that.

Petrol Octavias are a bit quieter, but I’m surprised at the noise you mention on motorways - even a 1.6 TDi should be ok at those speeds.

Good afternoon

This was my feelings. I know its not scientific, but based on age and spec. i was expecting the car to preform better that my 1,3 diesel alfa( not known for  its refinement) . or my 11 year old leon 1.9 diesel. 

I thought the diesel octavia had bonnet deadening?  maybe this is something i can look at. I really want to like the car ( not only because ive a 4 years loan to pay) but with my growing family the size is very helpful. I was wondering if anyone as used noise killer. I was hoping there sound installation kit plus engine acoustic blanket will make my journeys peaceful again. 

Think one of the areas that suffers from costcutting is the sound insulation or lack thereof. 

what I did with mine was line the spare wheel well and under rearseat with self adhesive bitumen sheets, then a layer of sound insulation. May be worth doing the wheel arches as well

Cost about £30 for the material. Enough to do the bonnet as well. makes a difference

As others have noted they are a bit light on sound deadening, and the most noticeable form of noise for me is road/tyre on anything other than perfectly smooth tarmac at speeds of 50+.

As for engine noise... I had a 1.6tdi Audi A3 on loan for a week when my VRS broke down last year. Even in the A3 with more sound deadening, the engine was still noisy and the noise never went away even on a motorway cruise. Think that had the 6 gear box too.

1 hour ago, carrock said:

Think one of the areas that suffers from costcutting is the sound insulation or lack thereof. 

what I did with mine was line the spare wheel well and under rearseat with self adhesive bitumen sheets, then a layer of sound insulation. May be worth doing the wheel arches as well

Cost about £30 for the material. Enough to do the bonnet as well. makes a difference

Hi carrock, 

many thanks . This was a route I was looking at. Just wasn’t sure what effect I would get. Glad to hear from someone with a positive result. I was also thinking of looking at floor wells and transmission tunnel. As anyone used a acoustic engine blanket? Seems like some people have very good results regarding blocking engine noise 

bitumen. 

under the bonnet. 

So a flammable, heavy, tar-based material, stuck upside down, over a heat source?

If you're going to do it, please do it the right way. Butyl is better than bitumen for a given thickness and is far easier to work with. And then add some MLV.

It's also not flammable.

- Bret

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coloneldolomite said:

I too have the same engine, although my car runs on 17 inch wheels, so 16 I would imagine would be much better in terms of refinement.

It is well documented on this forum that refinement (or lack of) is an issue for some. After 2 years of ownership I am getting used to it, but soundproofing and comfort are certainly not as good as my previous mk2. It is a more enjoyable and easy drive though I feel. The economy is brilliant and I never find it to be lacking in performance. A 6th gear would be nice though.

Tyre quality is important though. I have Dunlop on my front at the moment and would be happy to fit again. I have experienced 'Sawtoothing' on the rears which didn't help noise levels (Dunlop may be more susceptible than others possibly?) I have also had the front wheelbearings replaced recently due to 'droning', again this helped and is quite a common issue. My car is approaching 60,000 miles, although I have read others replacing them much sooner under warranty.

As for wind noise, I can't say I have noticed it too much, so worth a trial with another to see if yours is particularly bad.

All in all, my ownership has been a bit love/hate! So many positives in general, but a bit more finesse would be the icing on the cake. When I consider replacements though I always seem to migrate back to Octavia's!

Hi ,

well im going to get skoda to check the car over. It may do very little, however I’m sure the door seals are not right. And every little helps! As you got the same engine and gear box. How do you find engine noise at 70mph?  Do you find engine to be sitting just above 2000rpm at this speed. 

it must sounds like it’s all hatefor me, it’s not.  I do like the car, looks are reserved yes. But great space and I do find it nippy. And everything seems very well screwed together. I just find the refinement poor. And yes it does need a 6th gear! Fingers crossed skoda find something  and then with some sound proofing  I can make the car more enjoyable. 

31 minutes ago, brettikivi said:

bitumen. 

under the bonnet. 

So a flammable, heavy, tar-based material, stuck upside down, over a heat source?

If you're going to do it, please do it the right way. Butyl is better than bitumen for a given thickness and is far easier to work with. And then add some MLV.

It's also not flammable.

- Bret

Yes it's bitumen based but consider the following

The self adhesive on the pads is very strong, chances of coming loose is minimal at best. The pads are virtually impossible to remove once stuck down firmly.

even if it did, it's held in place by the underbonnet liner which is clipped in place.

Directly fixed above the engine is a plastic engine cover, also an oil based flammable product, a lot closer to the heat source than my bitumen pads which are 2 layers away again.

so thanks for your concern - but I'll take the risk of the bitumen pads coming loose, passing through the bonnet liner, THEN passing through the plastic engine cover, THEN resting on a bit of hot engine...........

• Haha 1

Wellsy, one last thought. These cars can be very sensitive to loose trim panels on the outside of the doors - they’re positioned at the trailing edge of the front door windows, the leading adge of the rear door windows. If they are not seated properly they can create quite a racket as air bleeds in.

4 hours ago, wellsy1 said:

Hello all!

I'm new to this forum and Skoda. So please be gently

I've recently purchased (Dec 2017) my second hand skoda octavia SE business ( 1.6 diesel) 66plate. 

After owner the car for a few weeks, i'm feeling very disappointed. The car seems very noisy, whether this is wind/external noise, road noise and engine noise. 

wind noise can start at low spends, to the point i'm sure door seals /sound proofing are faulty or just rubbish. 

Road noise. yes this is dependent on the road surface but it seems to be on any road unless the smoothest new tarmac! for information, my tyres are dunlop sports bluresponse (RR) 205/55R16 91V.

engine noise. having the smaller 1.6 diesel engine with 5 gears. i wasn't expecting formula 1 performance but i'm pleasantly surprised to how nippy it feels.  However, this is not a comfortable motorway cruiser. try sitting 70mph on the motorway and with the engine revs just above 2000rpm. the engine noise is quite loud in the cabin to the point i was thinking the car is struggling. For testing only, squeeze the pedal and it will go to 80mph  very quickly so i'm not sure its a power issue. Even those it does sound like its struggling. This is with no passengers or luggage.   

Ive recently asked skoda to look into the vehicle. One thing i did notice the external door seals do not appear very tight.  Its hard to see, but in the middle of the picture, ive lightly press this seal, and if you can see the seal as pushed into the gap.  other octavia's this seal feels very solid against the body. Checking the other seals around my car, they are better however still loose and soft compared to other octavia's. Yes, this might be nothing but i so much what this car to be better.   

my wife as a 09 plate fiesta petrol which seem a lot more refined. In fact, every car in my car history seem more refined than my octavia. 

So, my question is.... Was i expecting too much from my first skoda, and this lack of refinement is normal. or do i have a issue with my car? 

i hope someone can help! my next setup was sound proofing the car (noise killer) and possible fitting a engine acoustics blanket... Or swopping the car for my wifes little fiesta!   

I have an se business 2015 sep, the same colour. Mine is a 150bhp. I have all the same issues as you have been experiencing. Mine has the same wheels also with conti eco, that are auful.

The dealer will do nothing, and may pull the odd trick to pacify you however the fundamental fact remains it a floored car. My mistake was not taking it back after 30 days.

There are aspects of the car that are realy good, its fantastic quality imo. The satnav, radio are all realy good. However all the problems regarding the noise are inherent in the design thats is somthing different.

The car is the loudest car by far than any other car i have owned tyre roar, booming effect. I sound proofed mine and there is very little difference, i did the boot and rear arches, and there is minimal difference. I have a spare wheel and rubber bootmat also. 

There is no fix for any of this, i have looked at many posts all pointing to different things regarding the noise, all contradictory. I opinion is its a number of issues. I dont think it has to much to do with the boot eather. 

My opinion is the car has a resonant frequency as with all cars. There are certain inputs, wether it be ground born, or engine  that excites this resonant  frequency. Coupled with road noise.  This all makes for a noisy car.

The door seals on mine are also not touching in places i think this makes a marginal difference.

Edited by Alpha2110

24 minutes ago, Alpha2110 said:

I have an se business 2015 sep, the same colour. Mine is a 150bhp. I have all the same issues as you have been experiencing. Mine has the same wheels also with conti eco, that are auful.

The dealer will do nothing, and may pull the odd trick to pacify you however the fundamental fact remains it a floored car. My mistake was not taking it back after 30 days.

There are aspects of the car that are realy good, its fantastic quality imo. The satnav, radio are all realy good. However all the problems regarding the noise are inherent in the design thats is somthing different.

The car is the loudest car by far than any other car i have owned tyre roar, booming effect. I sound proofed mine and there is very little difference, i did the boot and rear arches, and there is minimal difference. I have a spare wheel and rubber bootmat also. 

There is no fix for any of this, i have looked at many posts all pointing to different things regarding the noise, all contradictory. I opinion is its a number of issues. I dont think it has to much to do with the boot eather. 

My opinion is the car has a resonant frequency as with all cars. There are certain inputs, wether it be ground born, or engine  that excites this resonant  frequency. Coupled with road noise.  This all makes for a noisy car.

The door seals on mine are also not touching in places i think this makes a marginal difference.

yes mine is a nice 1.4 tsi , I have  the same mod's done. still the car is not the best. I have paid up for mine so would like to " fix it" but only new tyres will do that .but with 4-5 mm on old ones, will leave for now. got snow tyres on now and are slightly better noise wise. sorry to say but conti eco are not onmy replacement list

Hi alpha,

Well they as dampened my investigation. In one way it’s nice to here I’ve not gone mad, another makes the next 4 years of my loan a bit of a head ache! What type of insulation did you try? I get mixed reports . A few people who have fitted it thinks it’s great.  I kind of agree with the   Resonance of the car. As if something sets it off, it seem to then be noisy over normal roads if that makes sense. I wonder if the door seals and trims could be our problem. Creating a vibration in the car:-(

1 hour ago, wellsy1 said:

Hi ,

well im going to get skoda to check the car over. It may do very little, however I’m sure the door seals are not right. And every little helps! As you got the same engine and gear box. How do you find engine noise at 70mph?  Do you find engine to be sitting just above 2000rpm at this speed. 

it must sounds like it’s all hatefor me, it’s not.  I do like the car, looks are reserved yes. But great space and I do find it nippy. And everything seems very well screwed together. I just find the refinement poor. And yes it does need a 6th gear! Fingers crossed skoda find something  and then with some sound proofing  I can make the car more enjoyable. 

Hello again Wellsy1.

Yes, just over 2000rpm at 70MPH. I must admit not to finding it too obtrusive at this speed, in fact I do a fair bit of motorway mileage and find it pretty relaxed.

If you can test drive another equivalent car I would. My car has always had an audible grinding noise at very low speed, say in traffic. To cut a long story short, it ended up having a new gearbox fitted, however this didn't make any difference at all. I have since tried another 1.6, nearly new and that made the same noise, as have Citigo and Fabia courtesy cars I have borrowed! At least it put my mind at rest though. I haven't had any problems as such with the box.

I have a boot mat in mine which may help a bit. Also worth checking tyre pressures and adjusting accordingly. I think mine has loosened up quite well with the miles and this may have improved things.

Thanks, at least that puts my mind at rest to if car was over reving. Also the fact you find it quite relaxing on the motorway speed maybe there is room for improvement on mine. My car as done 14000 miles maybe the engine will loosen up a bit more over time. I know the car wil be noisy than others in it’s class. Just wasn’t expecting it to be so noisy that 10 year old car in the class below (fiesta) fingers cross the door seals, tracking checked, sound proofing & deadening. Plus acoustic blanket will make journeys more enjoyable. 

Anyone one got a recommended tyre pressure for the Dunlop’s? 

I will be interested to see how you get on. I know how you feel though, my wife's little Hyundai i10 is far superior in refinement to the Octavia.

This may be just psychological, but I often fill up with a tank of Optimax and I think it runs a bit quieter and smoother... others will disagree! Also, I have my car serviced at fixed intervals rather than variable, so about every 10 - 12k it gets a change of oil which always helps. I presume your car was serviced before purchase?

Enjoy it though. It always takes a while to 'gel' with a car.  As for pressure mine run at 2.2 bar (32 psi) as per handbook, if it has had tyres recently they may have been over inflated possibly?

I bought 2 mm bulk pack of silent coat 2mm and 3mm for the rear arches. I did not make the whole floor uniform with the stuff. There was the odd gap, this wont make any difference as its effectively mass loading, chainging the resonant frequency by increasing the panels mass. 

There are some corrugated road suffices that excite the noise and some rpm. Even on a smooth road at some rpms the engine can be felt through the entire car.  

21 minutes ago, coloneldolomite said:

I will be interested to see how you get on. I know how you feel though, my wife's little Hyundai i10 is far superior in refinement to the Octavia.

This may be just psychological, but I often fill up with a tank of Optimax and I think it runs a bit quieter and smoother... others will disagree! Also, I have my car serviced at fixed intervals rather than variable, so about every 10 - 12k it gets a change of oil which always helps. I presume your car was serviced before purchase?

Enjoy it though. It always takes a while to 'gel' with a car.  As for pressure mine run at 2.2 bar (32 psi) as per handbook, if it has had tyres recently they may have been over inflated possibly?

I run my tyres at 2.2 any higher and the noise is far worce, they do feel very squidgy at that presure as the pneumatic trail increases, so the steering feels less precise.

Car was on 2.5 bar, which I’ve change to 2.2. Which did make a difference. Adjustment of the door also help for a short period. But like I say I’m sure the door seals are faulty will see here. Car goes to skoda Wednesday so fingers crossed. Then I’ll start the path of sound proofing panels etc . 

I would say this is Škoda general problem. Sound proof quality is just not as good as on VW. Before I purchesed my first car, to me that semeds as a good sound proof compared to may parrents Peugeot 206 SW. Now as I baceme a YouTuber and do car reviews I noticed this is problem on new Škoda cars as well! Like new Karoq.

Suspension is bit noise over the speed bumps, and sound proof is just bad driving 130 to 140 km/h. Not to mention when driving 160 km/h or more on highway!

And not to mention doors and lack of spunge used in other brands for sound proof. Looks like Škoda was saving money here or weight for better consumption results?

Edited by Croat
  • Like 1

I had a  2017 1.6 tdi Audi A3 courtesy car recently, and I have to say I was shocked by the noise of the engine. It genuinely sounded like it belongs in a commercial vehicle. It sounds old school diesel.

i have the displeasure of driving 1.3 Diesel Corsas at work - these have the same engine as the Mito (Fiat JTD engine) and this engine is more refined than the VW 1.6 tdi except on idle when the 1.3 sends more vibration into the cabin. 

Edited by Jimbbobw1977