Noisy car!

Evening all. Moment of truth. 

collected car...... tested! And it feels like a new car. Can’t believe how such a small mod and fix as improved the noise within the cabin. First bits, which looks like not skoda fault. Door card as been removed to have a small dent fixed at previous garage. Look like whoever did it, didn’t replace all the screws. Also didn’t replace the small led light for the alarm . So vibrations from door card, maybe rattling from led light in door and as silly as it sounds, noise from inside the door escaping from the small hole the led light should be. Secondly, and this was the skoda mod. Plastic trim that fits on the doors around b pillar. As morris mentioned. As now, As per skoda uk documenatation, been removed , mod refit and adjusted to max height( I hope that makes sense) this is to prevent wind noise and maximise seal performance. Result, MUCH more comfortable place to be. Every noise within the cabin seems to have been reduced. Yes only small test ride home. But feeling much better.  Sorry , I really tried to get a copy of the mod. However was told “ I can see it but I can’t keep a copy of the document”. Checking it, all looks official. Tomorrow when it’s light, I’ll take a photo of the area. Sorry I couldn’t get document. 

• Like 2

Great news Wellsy1. You must be very relieved about this. A photo would be interesting to see - may be something others will take up if it is a Skoda modification.

You will now be able to enjoy the car and put this little blip behind you. Although they will never be the most refined car, I have certainly started to appreciate mine more as the miles have passed. The positives far outweigh the negatives in general and you can always play with it a little to improve things based on what people have recommended on this forum.

Keep us posted!

2 months into my ownership of a 1.5TSi SE L DSG Hatch, I can't get over how much quieter it is than my previous 16 plate 2.0TDi SE L DSG Estate. Also the ride is far smoother and the whole car is a lot more comfortable generally.

Any one else swapping from Estate to Hatch or vice versa noticed this - granted the diesel and weight difference might be a factor?

morning

yeah will give car a good test drive today, however trying not to think about noise to much as I guess you can be over sensitive to it.  From my journey home last night. Car felt fine. Yep bit of road noise, but nothing incredibly poor or much different to other cars in its class. Very similar to my friends civic.( civic is slightly softer suspension, but this is with me listening out for every bump and bang). It as amazed me how much a small difference can make.  however I feel like like I will still do all the tricks to try and make car even quieter. I’ll take a photo today of the offending arena, however I’m wondering if my main problem was issue with door card . 

1 hour ago, wellsy1 said:

morning

yeah will give car a good test drive today, however trying not to think about noise to much as I guess you can be over sensitive to it.  From my journey home last night. Car felt fine. Yep bit of road noise, but nothing incredibly poor or much different to other cars in its class. Very similar to my friends civic.( civic is slightly softer suspension, but this is with me listening out for every bump and bang). It as amazed me how much a small difference can make.  however I feel like like I will still do all the tricks to try and make car even quieter. I’ll take a photo today of the offending arena, however I’m wondering if my main problem was issue with door card . 

Good to hear it's sorted.

for those who are still keen on reducing noise, a good write up on noise killer here http://www.wastedspace.co.uk/cms/2010/10/01/noisekiller-for-octavia/

i am am going to bite the bullet and soundproof my wheel arches as I have the felt stuff at work so costs nowt. I have shelled out on some butyl pads as well

• Like 1

10 hours ago, wellsy1 said:

morning

Can you post some pictures of any modification?

On 27/01/2018 at 10:07, wellsy1 said:

morning

Hi would it be posible to get a picture of the modified skoda part, thay used to get rid of the noise.

Hi all. Sorry had crazy weekend plus leaving early for work and get home late. However I’ve taken a picture now of the area. 

All still good. Road noise is now exceptable and car could do with 6th gear. Strange not from a power wise point of view, just to help sit comfortable at motorway speeds.  However car is much better, much more comfortable and  sound levels in the cabin much better. I’ve added a photo of the area. Sorry couldn’t get mod as it would mean taking the trim off. All I could get from the time I spent with dealer. This piece of trim as a mod on the fitment. To prevent wind noise and help seal fit better. Dealer ship I used was listers, Bedworth. I’ll call again to see if I can get a copy. In a couple of weeks time I’ll be visiting bass junkies, who seem to stock all the sound dampening and sound proof material. So hopefully vehicle will just get better! 

0252D4C9-5472-467C-BEFC-9459585ED2A3.thumb.jpeg.b2d7f45074c65de79ce3e5214d3e6009.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Hi alpha. Sorry just read your message again. The trim is the original. Mod is to do with re fitting of this trim and making  sure it pushing seal tight at the top 

Very good Wellsy1. This thread got me tempted to also make some improvements to the sound dampening of my car.

I live quite near these guys:  https://www.deadening.co.uk/

So popped in earlier on in the week and purchased a pack of these: https://www.deadening.co.uk/products/silent-coat-2mm-deadening-mat

It was a doddle to fit. Like Car Rock, I placed the mats around the spare wheel well, and on the base of the well. I also placed a few mats around the area in general and also under the rear seat base. There is certainly a marked improvement in overall refinement, so I am very pleased.

I am due a set of new tyres on the front soon, so while the wheels are off I may remove the inner wing liners and place some matting on the inner wings.

Certainly worth a go!  While chatting to the chap in the office, he said that he had sold many kits to VW group car owners, who were disappointed with the refinement levels of their newer purchase in comparison to some of the older versions previously owned (Golf's especially). Many Octavia owners (myself included) preferred the MK1/MK2 in this respect.

26 minutes ago, coloneldolomite said:

Very good Wellsy1. This thread got me tempted to also make some improvements to the sound dampening of my car.

I live quite near these guys:  https://www.deadening.co.uk/

So popped in earlier on in the week and purchased a pack of these: https://www.deadening.co.uk/products/silent-coat-2mm-deadening-mat

It was a doddle to fit. Like Car Rock, I placed the mats around the spare wheel well, and on the base of the well. I also placed a few mats around the area in general and also under the rear seat base. There is certainly a marked improvement in overall refinement, so I am very pleased.

I am due a set of new tyres on the front soon, so while the wheels are off I may remove the inner wing liners and place some matting on the inner wings.

Certainly worth a go!  While chatting to the chap in the office, he said that he had sold many kits to VW group car owners, who were disappointed with the refinement levels of their newer purchase in comparison to some of the older versions previously owned (Golf's especially). Many Octavia owners (myself included) preferred the MK1/MK2 in this respect.

I'm looking at ordering the 2mm butyl from these guys. How many sheets did you go for to cover the boot area + rear seat? Thanks

5 minutes ago, ahenners said:

I'm looking at ordering the 2mm butyl from these guys. How many sheets did you go for to cover the boot area + rear seat? Thanks

There are 20 sheets in a pack and I think I used around 12. I didn't cover every inch of the boot, probably around 60% of the area that is visible when you remove the carpet mat. Only 2 sheets were placed under the seat base.

I also have a rubber Skoda boot protector, so this probably helps a little too!

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, ahenners said:

I used 2mm for tne boot floor and 3mm for the rear arches.

Next i may do the bulk head but i am not looking forward to removing the carpet.!

• Like 1

It wasn't a series 3, but I once sold my brand new Skoda scout 1.8 tsi because of the dreadful noise, especially road noise. I fitted thick, good quality carpet underlay but the noise levels were still unacceptable. Skoda cut corners to save a few pounds on proper insulation, so refinement suffers. I now drive a Mk 2 1.9pd Octavia, but my expectations are lower. It's just a cheap, used workhorse for local trips so it's fine. I value refinement very highly, so my other caris a 1999 Lexus LS 4 litre V8, which on good roads is literally silent.

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening all! 

Sorry it’s been so long . Just I’ve not tried anything  else yet because of lack of time. It’s been a few weeks since my last post so another few weeks to evaluate the Octavia on different journeys. Trip today was Manchester and to be fair, I will say any road surface that isn’t shiny black and smooth the car does create annoying level of road roar. For me it’s sounds like a lack of sound deadening and sound absorption. 

Thanks everyone for the picture.  When you fitted the deadening did you also fit absorption material as well. I think my plan is to start with the boot, including wheel arches. Then under back seat and foot wells. Then deadening between sound proof and bonnet. Lastly I’ve read about engine blankets. Anyone tried one? 

Lastly, regarding price of material to do yourself. Was quoted just £330 all fitted! ( this didn’t include engine blanket) but I thought seems a good price considering I now don’t have to mess with carpets !