Indicators in door mirror - how to change

DensYeti

The repeater indicator in my driver side (UK) door mirror has stopped working.  How do you remove it and fit new one?  How to get at inside...is it just by removing the plastic rim covering or does the light unit prise out with a screwdriver. I am scared of breaking any flimsy clips so ruining complete mirror and having to get complete new mirror unit fitted!.

Is there any other possibility for it not working....broken wire, bad connection at a plug/socket?

Dennis

Edited by DensYeti
missed out last question

10 minutes ago, DensYeti said:

Thanks but I think it is a different mirror; my one does not have a puddle light (though we have very many puddles!)

The basic construction of the mirror is exactly the same, so those instructions do still apply.
Look at the 4th photograph down in particular. The indicator repeater lamp housing is mentioned.

Llanigrahm.....thanks for that.  I am still recovering from the dreaded bug so at moment have no interest whatsoever in fixing anything.......bed is too warm and comfy :sleepy:.   Will eventually have to look at it though.

WOW WOW Barnstaple franchise for SKODA has said the mirror indicator repeater unit is £53 inc VAT!  It is 2 LEDs mounted in a unit.

Does anyone know of a more reasonable source please?

Edited by DensYeti

2 hours ago, DensYeti said:

Does anyone know of a more reasonable source please?

If you don't mind ordering from Italy there are some on ebay for £35

Saw some on ebay £36.57 + £10.90 post so £47.47 overall.

What ebay item number for ones from Italy please?  Have been looking for ages through lists.

3 hours ago, Llanigraham said:

I don't think it is an LED but a standard bulb.
Might be worth taking the mirror apart to check.

Skoda Marshall say 2 LED....one each end of unit..........perhaps time to look see and maybe get soldering iron out for LED transplant!!

Sorry to seem a bit slow but how exactly do the cover clips come apart.  Looking at the above photos I can't quite work out what goes into what.

1. with 2 screwdrivers.....do you push mirror cover clips up or down to release mirror housing tangs

OR

2. Do you push tangs up or down to release them from cover clips.

Perhaps a quick sketch showing how a tang and clip come together.

Dennis

38 minutes ago, Clive said:

Clive - thanks That looks to be the one.

Have asked for clarification of auto translation explaining meaning of:-

NON-ORIGINAL MIRROR ARROWS ARE SUPPLIED WITHOUT LAMP IF IS A SOLAR FILAMENT LAMP AS IF IT IS AN LED MODEL THESE ARE ALREADY INCLUDED

Maybe all I need is a bulb after all, but think it is LED type........so if this one from Italy takes an ordinary bulb then so much the better:biggrin: (I won't tell the car of the change ;) )

8 minutes ago, Urrell said:

Yes but it says:-

3. Carefully, with a flat blade screwdriver (or two at the same time if you can) release the clips that secure the cover to the mirror internals

That is why I am asking ...how release the clips...........probably obvious once you have done it once........but I am so wary of braking plastic clips having broken some in past and seen garages breaking them (one on my ex VW Golf column cover)

OK plucked up courage and got front upper cover off.  Unscrewed the two T10 torx screws and eased bottom assembly with repeater off .  Will try to put more photos with arrows and captions up later.

Next silly question is how does the plug with wires come away from its socket.  I tried gently prising along the top with a screwdriver but it did not seem to want to just pull off.  Are there hold-on lugs that need squeezing or prising up?

For testing what is to be expected on each of the 3 wires?  1.  Orange  2.  Yellow  3.  Blue/black

Just been on longish telephone call to SKODA UK to try and find out how to unlock the plug to pull it out.........basically they would not tell me!

Said government law under health and safety prevented them telling such information!!!    I explained that all I wanted to know was what locking mechanism held the plug from vibrating out (usually just two plastic lugs/clips) but got nowhere just a lot of waffle.

They pointed me in the direction of the website ERWIN.SKODA-auto.cz for technical info on the electrics.......yes you guess..a paying site. 

I told them in no uncertain terms what I thought of their CUSTOMER MIS-SERVICE   (That especially after having had to go through the replacement wrecked engine debacle)

Sorry all for the rant.

So does anyone know what locks the plug (3) in place?

Mirror_indicator.jpg 

Dennis

1 hour ago, Arkaig said:

Is this of any help?  You'll possibly have to right-click and translate to english:

Unfortunately significantly different. (I haven't a clue how to get this MacBook to do translations either :blush)

Apologies, DensYeti, for not seeing your post yesterday in your hour of need on the cover clips - pleased to hear you sussed it. Scary bit for me was pulling the mirror glass off...

I can't help you on how to disconnect the plug - I never did that. My experience of the various electric plugs on the Yeti is that every one seems to 'work' differently. Some just have more tangs to release at the same time than is humanly possible, others have locking mechanisms that need to be unlocked (some simply slide) to release the plug. 

Thanks.      So how about the start of a new permanent topic HOW TO UNDO ELECTRIC PLUGS.  This would be a topic containing only actual practical information that could be added to as people found out how to do each item (added to under moderator control)  The subject would require headings of model of car, variant of the actual bit in question,  how to get at the plugs/sockets, photos showing the items (this would differentiate such differences as seen above with the two different mirror/lighting where though apparently similar, the plugs were very different and located differently).

My new bottom section should be arriving tomorrow, Friday, so very much hoping it is exactly the same with same socket and that it will become obvious how locking mechanism works.

Dennis

Edited by DensYeti

1 hour ago, DensYeti said:

My new bottom section should be arriving tomorrow, Friday, so very much hoping it is exactly the same with same socket and that it will become obvious how locking mechanism works.

Where did you order from in the end @DensYeti ?

4 hours ago, Clive said:

Where did you order from in the end @DensYeti ?

The Italy place.......second of the two websites you gave above....ie without puddle light.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/INDICATOR-MIRROR-SKODA-YETI-09-WITHOUT-LIGHT-COURTESY-RIGHT/401449392011?hash=item5d783f978b:g:IoYAAOSwrslaXiS2

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DensYeti said:

The Italy place.......second of the two websites you gave above....ie without puddle light.

Oh good :thumbup:

Mirror base received from Italy Tue. 13 Feb.

Still none the wiser about removal of plug (or is it bulb holder??)

Shows two vertical pillars in base with holes that torx screws through main body screw into. Also silver lighting unit held to base by two cross head screws.DSCF0865.thumb.JPG.a9af292031367a3a80404d9972f5f9cb.JPGto 

The two upward protruding tags on the left of the front black bit, and the body they are on actually stick a bit forward of the silver bit but hope that it will all get tucked back flush when it is pushed into the front cap.

DSCF0864.thumb.JPG.8fbec885148f3202ae4f61b8efafc309.JPG

This shows very plain plug holder with the three connection pins just under the top of the flat bit

DSCF0863.thumb.JPG.39eacec8fcd4952f50cd12480df91849.JPG

DSCF0861.thumb.JPG.64ef2fb692fab5a78fce6171e0af24cf.JPG 

This weather, and needing the car is preventing me from actually opening up the mirror again to try and work things out again.

This shows the black plastic sticking out a bit from the lens bit

DSCF0862.JPG

Tomorrow, Thursday 15 Feb,  Big expedition to nearest main town with dealer to fall on their mercy to advise "how to do it" .

Dennis

Edited by DensYeti