YETI SE MFD Km/h to miles per hour?

voxmagna

Wifey is always complaining she cannot with certainty tell from the speedo when she is doing 30mph. I've fudged this for now by sticking a red tape line on the dial whilst enabling here satnav speed warnings. I don't know if anybody has used this as defense against a speeding ticket, but the Skoda speedo cannot easily be read without eyeline parallax errors below about 40 mph where the scale is cramped and accuracy depends on seat position.

I notice the mfd does give an alternative digital readout of speed in km/hour. Does anybody know if this can be changed to miles per hour? I worked through the mfd options and couldn't find anything?

Edited by voxmagna

I have an app on my phone which dispays exact speed using the phones gps. Get a phone mount  so you can see the screen when driving and have this ap active when driving and you get a large digital display of current speed.

You will find that a true 30 mph is actualy around 34 on the speedo and 53km/hr on the maxidot. (Not the innacurate 48 as quoted above as the speedo is deliberately optimistic.

Use the phone app to calibrate the km/hr display and learn the actual displayed km/hr which equate to speed limits.

In my car I drive at 85km/hr in the 50 average limits which allowing for speedo error is exactly 50mph. And I find I am slowly passing everyone.

A true 60 mph is 101km/hr and 70mph is 118km/hr.

I never really look at the speedo dial now, just the km/hr display.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions on using GPS and yes I know about the speedo errors. But the fundamental requirement is that speed at around 30mph should be visible to the driver without having to remember to enable all kinds of smart devices and know they are working before getting into the car.

36 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

You aren’t going to be pinged for 50kph surely.

There are road sections near me that are well publicised cash cows for getting money from speeding tickets using cameras. You know the sort: 40mph then a bend and a solitary 30 mph sign with no logical reasons looking at the road layout why the limit should suddenly change, except that a lobby group of local residents requested it.

2 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Yes the large MPH can be enabled by anyone who has VCDS

I have vcds, can anybody say which control module has the adaptations?

Thanks

Thinks you have to change the car so it thinks it's in Australia

One thing to remember - change it back if you go to Europe as without some display of km/h on a modern car you are breaking the law

1 minute ago, bigjohn said:

One thing to remember - change it back if you go to Europe as without some display of km/h on a modern car you are breaking the law

.....and Australia too!

11 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

.....and Australia too!

Bimey forgot that - I wonder why it shows mph in Aus setting then?

I keep my digital readout as km/h as I drive in Europe a lot. Wish I had a car with headlight "tourist" settings as converting is a bit of a pian although I've got used to it on my facelift Superb II (uber tiny levers buried in the hedlight unit) 

Edited by bigjohn

53 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

You don't need to change anything back once it has been done, as you get an additional option in the Maxidot menu, under I think, alternative speed, that takes it back to MPH.

This whole subject has been mentioned on here numerous times.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kenfowler3966 said:

However they have an option to swap to mph when abroad and this is large as well.

Still legal here as you can show kmh when abroad.

Yes, but WHY?  Where do Australians take their cars that uses mph?  UK?  USA?  Burma?  Samoa maybe?

In the UK I get it - we are surrounded by countries that use km/h and can easily get to them.  In fact it is a legal requirement that UK speedometers are capable of showing km/h.

That said, I drove 76,000 miles in our Yeti and never struggled to work out where 30, 40, 50, 60 or 70 mph were on the analogue dial.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, weasley said:

That said, I drove 76,000 miles in our Yeti and never struggled to work out where 30, 40, 50, 60 or 70 mph were on the analogue dial.

That may be true but it is still quicker and easier to glance at a large digital readout than look where a needle needle is pointing on a dial.

• Like 1

I used the iPhone/ipad carista app which with suitable Bluetooth device connected to car will change the region to Australia. Very easy to use but not as versatile in total to VCDS but has quite a few useful car setting changes and failed code reading / cancelling. Very useful if no access to true VCDS software.

Thanks to gizmo MY12 Yeti now thinks it's in Australia! For those interested in the legals, the Yeti analogue speedo doesn't have the markings you usually find around the dial. Therefore they have to provide it in the MFD if the requirement is to have both displayed? However, if you recode the instrument display with vcds to Australia the default MFD still shows km/h as before. The key is the last step: After coding, a new option appears in the MFD settings under ALT(ernate) speed and distance checked by default. After re-coding you remove the tick and get the huge digital speed display in mph.  Should you wish to drive in a km/h area you just go to MFD /settings/ALT speed & distance and tick the box. Whatever the arguments are for and against and acceptance of car speedo errors, I think this is a big improvement.

I attached a photo of the analogue speedo with 30mph marked by my red tape line. The photo is taken with the camera lens square to the mfd and the marker looks in the wrong position. But when sat in the higher seat position it looks correct. This is the parallax error I was talking about which you don't get with a digital speed display.

Thanks for your quick replies, I'm a happy bunny and I'll just let the pros and cons roll on!

Before km_h.jpg

After mph.jpg

Analogue.jpg

• Like 2

Yes your honor/worshipful, how could I know I was doing 30 when your camera busted me for doing 35? I was driving my Skoda with all due care and attention, religiously following the speed limits for the road in question (or so I believed). My vehicle speedometer was able to indicate 20 and 40 mph and as far as I knew I was doing 30, but the technology you used in your speed camera was far more accurate than speed monitoring designed by the vehicle manufacturer as used in my Skoda car.  Depending on the height and angle adjustment of my seat as now demonstrated to you with my exhibit (Skoda seat and dummy cockpit) I can show the vehicle design is unable to give  me an accurate indication of 30mph from my driving position. This gave the law officers an unfair advantage in prosecuting their case. I rest my defense!

PS: The red tape becomes invisible at night with the white back lit display.

Edited by voxmagna
  • Like 1

The same could go for 20mph or 40mph.  And why people seem unable to grasp that 30 is half way between 20 and 40 on the dial is beyond my comprehension.

People managed for decades with analogue speedos, and millions still do.  All that the digital display gives you is a false impression of accuracy.

(As it happens, these days my NextBase 420G dashcam does provide a digital speed display.  But it is GPS-based and generally much more accurate than the Yeti's own speedo - not least because it doesn't have to be deliberately mis-calibrated in order to be sure of complying with C&U regs.  That said, it's up by the rear view mirror on the passenger side so only really useful for checking that the cruise control is properly set when going through average speed camera areas.)

• Like 1

Not all GPS based speedos will tell you when they lose satellite lock and hold their value without you knowing when you go through roads with overhead trees or through tunnels. I know of 1 Gatso camera location strategically placed at the end of a bend after 1/2 a mile of thick trees overhead. The rate at which GPS updates speed can vary depending on which SIRF chip version they use.  The accuracy of GPS speed measurement also depends on how many satellites have been acquired and their angle to your car. As few as 3 satellites will give a location fix but speed won't be accurate. GPS from clear sky and no side obstructions can still be more accurate than in car speedos. Manufacturers are given tolerances they are allowed to work to with tolerances at 30mph usually higher with more error allowed on the plus side as indicated speed increases, which is why most read high and get worse at 70 mph. From a marketing perspective, have you noticed how small cars seem to drive faster than larger cars? You will find manufacturers use as much of the high side tolerance as possible , which suits them and the regulators.

Digital doesn't mean it's more accurate, but what it gives is consistency and doesn't suffer errors due to changing angles of the eyes from seat to cockpit. If you have a decent size digital speed display right in the center zone of vision where you need it, I think it is better to use that and apply a correction offset calibrated from GPS. Unfortunately, that used to be 30, 60 and 70 mph. But now with average cameras on road works and some cities imposing 20mph speed limits it gets more difficult. The accuracy of old Smiths type chronometric mechanical speedos used to be very good affected mainly by tire rolling radius (inflation pressure & temperature). Then manufacturers started using cheap moving coil speedo heads which needed magnetic compensation to achieve linearity which got worse as more of the arc was used to display 120mph+.  Digital speed readout derived from the ABS wheel sensors will still be affected by tire circumference, but they should be linear and need only one correction factor. A 2% error at 30mph should still be 2% at 70 mph.

This will not be a problem for future autonomous EV's because they will all keep to the speed limits beamed down by regular map updates. Your vehicle will be controlled by big brother and won't be fun to drive anymore. The only problem for them at the moment seems to be driving into the back of stationary fire engines and an awareness of motorcycles.

• Like 1

If there’s so little traffic that the speed limit is a safe speed, there’s cc........(and a limit warning capability?)

I have to agree that a figure doesn’t need interpretation and reduces time looking down.

When analogue was king, speedos were much bigger and clearer too.  Now they’re  simply an addendum to a beautiful big number.

Edited by Ryeman

Funny but in the 7 years we've had Yeti's neither of us have ahd a problem keeping to the 30 or 50 or 70 limit, even when the speedo doesn't have those figures on the dial.

And funnily enough I found years ago that if I did want some confirmation from a digital readout I can remember that (roughhly) 30 = 50kph, 50 = 80 and 70 = 100. Lo and behold I've never got a ticket sticking to those figures.

18 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

When analogue was king, speedos were much bigger and clearer too.  

Hmm, my old Moggy Minor had a large speedo but I remember at speed the needle wobbled backwards and forwards a hell of a lot when up to speed(ish) which made it hard to read