Tweeter grill degrades sound quality?

I was not happy with the speakers of Octavia III, and had them replaced some time ago with a Focal 6.5" speaker set.

However, I'm still not satisfied with the sound. The tweeter sounds like some frequencies are coming from a vague direction causing some kind of small but annoying distortion. I can't think of any other reason but the speaker grill to cause this issue. Since replacing the grill with custom mounting cups is quite tedious, I'd love to hear if someone has similar experience.

Time to get the Dremel out with a small drill bit?

It depends if you want to keep the stealth look or not - custom tweeter mounts would be possible, find a decent ICE installer locally and they should be able to knock you up some.

My local ICE installer does some amazing install builds. Studio In Car

Also remember that a new speaker set does need to bed in.

My Rainbows just improved over time, though I am considering cutting the plastic out from my speaker covers and finding a way to replace with acoustic cloth

• Like 1

If you could extract the grill from the tweeter mount, you could then cut out the section infront of the tweeter, wrap the entire piece in speaker cloth and remount (maybe).

Did something similar on my focus.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WayTooTall said:

If you could extract the grill from the tweeter mount, you could then cut out the section infront of the tweeter, wrap the entire piece in speaker cloth and remount (maybe).

Did something similar on my focus.

Not a bad shout that.

10 hours ago, brettikivi said:

hui! Do you have the part number? I suspect it's a 5e0837974, and €25 in Germany, so €40 here. Each. Bildelsbasen has some.

- Bret

Yes, 5e0837973 and 5e0837974.

26€ each in Tampere.

• 1 year later...

You don’t necessarily need to upgrade the speakers. 

If your grille is as bad as mine then drill it’s holes open. 

If you are not satisfied yet install Match UP 7DSP which makes some miracles to the sound. 

And then if you are still not satisfied upgrade the speakers. There are car model specific speaker sets available which are almost plug’n’play. They fits in original places and connectors. 

Forgot to say that just replacing the speakers without adding an amplifier/DSP could cause the sound become even worse. This was the case when I upgraded VW Golf VI’s speakers.