Samsung tv issue

mattievrs

Typically I’ve had the tv just over 3 years and it’s gone funny! I have a led Samsung tv that’s recently started to show a purple hue in the bottom right corner. It’s about 3 inches by 3 inches and is more noticeable with lighter white backgrounds. I’ve done all the self diag stuff with the tv and been in contact with Samsung who say it’s out of warrantee and probably not worth fixing.....although they can send an engineer for a small charge to have a look....erm no thanks. Having looked around the internet it seems a common problem. So I’m in the market for a new tv I guess around £600 max and no bigger than 50 inches. I have a couple of questions though......

I have a samsung sound bar that I link wirelessly to the tv, can this be wireless to another make ie LG? 

I’m not keen on Samsung again, but what do other people have/recommend?

Have you tried contacting the company that sold it to you? 

Depending on the original cost, you may get some form of compensation back from them, or a contribution towards a new TV. 

I got approximately £250 back on a £300 Sony TV from Tesco after it went tits up at 15 months. They agreed it should have lasted longer than that. 

We occasionally get a blue screen on start up on our Philips, but a quick on/off reboot and all is rosy again. No complaints as it is now 10 years old. 

Yeah, had it from curry’s 3 1/2 years ago, and after contacting them, they sent me towards Samsung. At that point curry’s only offered 2 years on them as satiated on the receipt I have. I’m not massively pee’d off if I’m honest as it was only a £249tv they had on offer and I’ve honestly used it probably every day near enough.

Did you pay by credit card? 

SOGA or whatever its called should kick in. 3 years is nothing. 

As for Samsung, I've never had any issues. Always good kit and lasts. Like anything though they will have failures and just sounds like you've been unlucky. 

50" Samsung 4k is around £450, with a hefty discount/offer on their 4k blueray if you need one at the same time. 

Not bad about you paid about 20p per day to watch tv. I think Samsungs are good. On the plus side, my original 40" Samsung was £1100 about 7-8 years ago. It has a power card failure so I was quite happy to replace it with another Samsung 50" 4K UHD Smart tv for about £500 before last Christmas. Great tv...from Currys. One probable Elf and Safety feature is rather annoying now, my old 40" turned easily about 20 degrees left/right, whereas new tvs appear to have to be on large wide fixed stands, presumably to stop children pulling it down on themselves. Therefore I had to ensure that the stand actually fitted on my tv cabinet and this stopped me getting a mega screen. Much to the wife's relief. 

On 1/30/2018 at 15:38, mattievrs said:

I have a samsung sound bar that I link wirelessly to the tv, can this be wireless to another make ie LG? 

Yes it could, depending on how it 'communicates' with the TV.  AUX socket, HDMI, Bluetooth, USB & WiFi???

Any new TV you buy is likely to have at least one of these connections on it.

Samsung just made the box.

On 1/30/2018 at 19:06, gadgetman said:

SOGA or whatever its called should kick in. 3 years is nothing. 

I think you might mean Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.  :)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Macdemon said:

Yes it could, depending on how it 'communicates' with the TV.  AUX socket, HDMI, Bluetooth, USB & WiFi???

Any new TV you buy is likely to have at least one of these connections on it.

Samsung just made the box.

It connects via Bluetooth from what I can see in the instructions. 

Ive decided to put up with the purple splodge for the short term and have a good look around at what I could replace it with. I’m toying with another Samsung but I might see if I can get a good earl on extended warrantee. I’m sure I saw that curry’s were offering 5 years now on tvs as well so might look seriously into it.

Check out Richer Sounds as well while you are looking,  got a very good deal just before christmas for my in-laws on a 50" for them, they threw in 5 yrs in the deal too.

Edited by kentphil1

10 hours ago, mattievrs said:

It connects via Bluetooth from what I can see in the instructions. 

Ive decided to put up with the purple splodge for the short term and have a good look around at what I could replace it with. I’m toying with another Samsung but I might see if I can get a good earl on extended warrantee. I’m sure I saw that curry’s were offering 5 years now on tvs as well so might look seriously into it.

John Lewis will do 5 years anyway, and so do Costco of you know a member. 

Ironically, I never even thought of John Lewis at all.......and I work for Waitrose so would get discount on any jl purchase! They also have the tv that I was looking at for £70 less, then there’s my discount on top......and yes, as said.....5 yr garrantee! 

• Like 1

RETRA guidelines used to be 6 years as a reasonable measure of durability for a TV. If your product is less durable, it was "not of merchantable quality" according to SOGA.  When an LED TV from Tesco died at 25 months (2 year guarantee of course), I downloaded the relevant letter quoting SOGA, sent it off demanding repair or recompense, and got 80% of the original purchase price back inside 2 weeks. (the only cost to me was an independent TV engineers report that the TV was beyond repair).

The cash returned bought me a more modern and capable TV of the same size as the original ;)

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 2

On 1/30/2018 at 19:22, Redboy said:

whereas new tvs appear to have to be on large wide fixed stands, presumably to stop children pulling it down on themselves. Therefore I had to ensure that the stand actually fitted on my tv cabinet and this stopped me getting a mega screen. Much to the wife's relief. 

I fixed a cable from the back of mine, fixed to the bolt holes, using bolts and then fixed to the back of the cabinet.

It could be fixed to the wall if not on a cabinet. Anyone with kids should probably do this or something similar imo.

Edited by Tilt

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/30/2018 at 15:38, mattievrs said:

Typically I’ve had the tv just over 3 years and it’s gone funny! I have a led Samsung tv that’s recently started to show a purple hue in the bottom right corner. It’s about 3 inches by 3 inches and is more noticeable with lighter white backgrounds. I’ve done all the self diag stuff with the tv and been in contact with Samsung who say it’s out of warrantee and probably not worth fixing.....although they can send an engineer for a small charge to have a look....erm no thanks. Having looked around the internet it seems a common problem. So I’m in the market for a new tv I guess around £600 max and no bigger than 50 inches. I have a couple of questions though......

I’m not keen on Samsung again, but what do other people have/recommend?

There's a place in Clay Cross. Derbys. That repairs them. When you look at their website they've got mixed reviews but they were very good with mine and relatively cheap. But, here's the rub Bernard, I can't for the life of me remember what they're called. :blink:

• 2 months later...
On 1/30/2018 at 19:33, Lee01 said:

You may as well get another Samsung. Chances are it''ll be an LG panel in it anyway.

AH-LG- changed from Lucky Goldstar.  Don't know about their TV, but in telecomms world it was not known as UNLucky for nothing.