VRS Spoiler/Boot Paint Cracking

Evening all,

Just noticed today during the winter wash that my paint is cracking on the boot of my Octavia VRS where the spoiler and boot lid meet. I've attached pictures...

What do you all think? Anyone seen this before? I know paint is only covered for 3 years, but would this be worth discussing with Skoda Customer Services? My car is a late 2013 VRS but I did purchase it second hand. 

I have a touch up pen from Skoda, should I use this to touch it up and seal it, or discuss with a reputable paint shop?

The left side is worse than the right. I had a search but couldn't see any results with the same issue. 

Thanks

Stu

IMG_0619.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg

Edited by Guest

Yeah I've never removed it, or to my knowledge its never been removed before. 

You think its a touch up job or a paint shop discussion? 

Personally I would firstly see if Skoda will assist. Probably not. Secondly, if you intend to keep it for 1-2 years longer, do what I did with my MkII, take it to a paint shop and have the boot and any stone chips on the front refurbished/sprayed and the rest mopped to make it look like new. 

Just now, Redboy said:

Personally I would firstly see if Skoda will assist. Probably not. Secondly, if you intend to keep it for 1-2 years longer, do what I did with my MkII, take it to a paint shop and have the boot and any stone chips on the front refurbished/sprayed and the rest mopped to make it look like new. 

Yeah I'll discuss with Skoda, then if they don't play the game I'll discuss with a paint shop. I plan on keeping it for another 3 or so years so its getting sorted one way or another. 

Yeah I suppose thats a possibility. I personally never shut the boot like this but its possible the previous owner did and that is why this has happened. It would probably look daft if I just touched it up with the paint pen eh? 

No, you will probably do a decent job, however you'll know it's there. I don't suppose it will put off a potential buyer in a few years time...unless it deteriorates or rusts further. 

Im certain its rust that has started at the holes where the spoiler is attached. Ive noticed some bubbling on my 2014 vrs in exactly the same area. I took it to the dealer on Friday for them to raise it with Skoda.

I really hope they cover it with the bodywork warranty, its only going to get worse thats for sure.

Yeah I believe I noticed it months ago but to be honest it slipped my mind and just today I noticed it’s split during cleaning and it’s worse. 

I’ll give Skoda a call and see what they say to it and then discuss with a paint place. If it’s going to be too costly to fix I may need to do a touch up. 

I had a similar problem last year with my 2014 vRS. It is white and I noticed that the area around the screws/bolts which hold the spoiler onto the tailgate has started to rust. I brought it up with the service manager at DM Keith at Huddersfield who took some photos and said I would have to take it to the Bodyshop at Leeds so that they could check the paint depth. I did this and once they had done the paint depth checks and taken some photos I was left to wait for Skoda to make a decision. After 3 months and numerous requests for more close up photos they approved the repair. The whole hatchback was resprayed and new badges fitted. The cause was the bolts caused the sealant to split/come away as they were tightened and water was then able to get in. I suggested that a washer fitted underneath the bolt would solve the problem. They checked a brand new car and it was the same. I bought a 66 plate vRS 4x4 in November last year and it now has the washer fitted under the bolt. 

Good to know this isn't a isolated case and I appreciate you explaining the cause of the issue in detail. 

I can see a fight coming and I don't know if I can take it for 3 months of hassle. 

My car is well outside warranty, and I didn't purchase It direct from a Skoda Dealer, but it was originally purchased from a Skoda Dealer. Do you think I should go to Skoda regarding the issue? 

Edited by Guest

Went to Skoda today and they took pictures and details. Have to wait a week to see what Skoda UK say and if they authorise a repair. 

I went to a independent body repair shop, the guys have 25 years experience from BMW and Audi behind them, and they looked and said corrosion. 

Hoping Skoda will cover it, the wait is on. 

On 04/02/2018 at 19:00, ployb said:

Im certain its rust that has started at the holes where the spoiler is attached. Ive noticed some bubbling on my 2014 vrs in exactly the same area. I took it to the dealer on Friday for them to raise it with Skoda.

I really hope they cover it with the bodywork warranty, its only going to get worse thats for sure.

Any update on how your Skoda is getting on regarding this same issue? 

Nothing yet, i took it in last Friday, they measured the paint thickness and took some photos. Mine hasnt cracked yet so is quite difficult to see but the paint is bubbled.

They did say it could take between one and two weeks to get a reply.

Ill post when i hear.

20180131_164036.jpg

Yeah mine started like that as I said before but it just slipped my mind. It will get worse. Hope you get it sorted also. I’ll keep you updated with my issue, cheers. 

I first noticed a yellow colour coming from between the spoiler and tailgate as it’s a white car. There are only 2 people who assess the photos for warranty and that’s for whole VAG. You will have made them busy. Don’t be surprised if it takes a while and they request more photos especially if the bolts to see if they have been tampered with. 

Yeah I don’t mind the wait as long as this issue gets sorted over the coming weeks! Can’t believe there is only 2 people that assess these issues! 

'If' it was true that in the UK there are only 2 people that can 'assess photographs for VW Group Warranty claims in the UK, 

it is just as well that you do not have to rely on having Photo Graphs assessed and you can have a Warranty Manager arrange an Expert Examination 

by a trained person with all the gear and more than an idea and an NVQ.

Report made, and a proper repair arranged, to Factory Standard, only better, because the factory standard turned out to be crap.

Edited by AwaoffSki

Good news,

Got approved yesterday, so only took 2 days for them approve the repair and its getting a new spoiler also. Going in on the 5th for repair. I'm glad its been handled the right way, and the Skoda Dealer so far has been good! 

Wanted to let you all know, cheers. 

• 4 weeks later...

Due to the bad weather up here, it got cancelled going in. Rebooked for the 26th of this month to get done. Keeping it for a few days they said.