quandry

seriously considering buying a Superb, about a 63 plate (ish) but heres my worry...........

the 1.6 IF "CHEAT FIXED" can be trouble, can i check if its been done or not?

the 2.0ltr would only be software updated for the cheat fix?

also, is the 4x4 version thirstier? would a DSG+4wd be even thirstier?

the cheat fix seems to have ruined 1.6 prices (even if only by reputation)

i need really good mpg as I have a school contract till july 2021 and my Eclass isnt helping.... even if it awesome to drive

Edited by lichfielddriver

10 minutes ago, lichfielddriver said:

the 1.6 IF "CHEAT FIXED" can be trouble, can i check if its been done or not?

Yes, you can use the reg number and speak to your local Skoda franchised dealer, or Skoda UK customer services...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/about-us/contact-us

If you have the VIN from the windscreen (under the passenger side wiper) you can check for yourself online...

http://www.skoda.co.uk/owners/dieselinfo/check-your-vehicle

10 minutes ago, lichfielddriver said:

Yes, it's heavier.

And yes it's heavier and officially the DSG is slightly worse for fuel economy, but this very much depends on driving style.

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, lichfielddriver said:

In my experience 4x4 adds around 10-15% to fuel economy - no idea regarding DSG (never dared to own one out of warranty!)

The EA189 update also ruins the 140 BHP 2.0 TDi (in my experience).

• Like 1

People get jittery about buying a used Superb with the DSG. I don't know why. I bought my car at two years old, have followed the servicing advice and changed the DSG oil at 4 years old/40000 miles, and it's still super smooth. I'll get the DSG oil changed again this autumn when the car will be 8 years old and I expect it to run nicely for years to come. I believe there were problems with the 'dry' DSG that was fitted to the 1.8 Superb petrol engine, but the 'wet' DSG that's been fitted to the 2.0 diesel has a very good reputation for reliability. I really like mine and wouldn't dream of returning to a manual box. 

• Like 1

Bought my 2014 2.0litre 140 4x4 from a main dealer in November 2016.  'Fix' was applied before I picked it up.  Coming from a 1.6 petrol Focus I find the power good and 4x4 traction and driving feel excellent, can't compare to a 'pre-fix' scenario so in effect I am none the wiser!!  I have the 6 speed manual which I would have preferred anyway so that ticked most of the boxes.  

I plan to rollback in due course as I believe from everything being said that this will improve the longevity of the engine and components, and in general give a better driving feel.  Only then will I look to a Stage 1 remap to gain more driveability.

MPG has consistently been 42ish. 

12 hours ago, pinkpanther said:

The EA189 update also ruins the 140 BHP 2.0 TDi (in my experience).

@pinkpanther Interested to hear of your experience, have the same engine and my car was fixed when bought so I can't compare, but perhaps the symptoms are there....? Cheers

2 hours ago, TasMan said:

@pinkpanther Interested to hear of your experience, have the same engine and my car was fixed when bought so I can't compare, but perhaps the symptoms are there....? Cheers

Hi Tasman - it's all here: https://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/429970-ea189-emmisions-update-my-experience/

On 05/02/2018 at 11:57, D-Cunningham said:

People get jittery about buying a used Superb with the DSG. I don't know why. I bought my car at two years old, have followed the servicing advice and changed the DSG oil at 4 years old/40000 miles, and it's still super smooth. I'll get the DSG oil changed again this autumn when the car will be 8 years old and I expect it to run nicely for years to come. I believe there were problems with the 'dry' DSG that was fitted to the 1.8 Superb petrol engine, but the 'wet' DSG that's been fitted to the 2.0 diesel has a very good reputation for reliability. I really like mine and wouldn't dream of returning to a manual box. 

I think that's partly the issue with DSG, when its working as intended its an absolute peach, when its not working it can empty your wallet quite quickly.

There are plenty of users on here that have taken their DSG cars into stellar mileage without issue, then there are those who seem to suffer repeat problems on an all too regular basis.

At 8 years old a serious DSG failure can write a car off. Manual boxes fail too, but are generally more cost effective to repair or replace.