Excessive battery drain

Hi Folks,

Hope someone can help. I have a 1.4 Skoda Octavia SE L which was built in Nov 2016. I have noticed since December 2017 that my Start/Stop does not work anymore and on 3 occasions now I have parked the car on a Friday after work and on the Monday morning the battery is dead.

This morning I popped the bonnet and connected our DC clamp meter to the battery with everything switched OFF and nothing plugged into 12V outlet or USB and it's drawing just over 3.5A as shown below. Surely this isn't normal consumption.

Any idea's folk's. Dead cell? Surely a battery should last longer than a year. Is this Start/Stop system killing my battery.

Thanks

John

IMG_20180205_100338.jpg

Hi pist0nbr0ke,

I do have a dashcam but I only plug it into the 12V outlet when driving and unplug it before I leave the car as it's not a switched 12V supply. Only fixed camera is the one that came with the car for the Lane Assist.

John

Charge your battery fully (read the manual, do not connect to the earth on the battery) and then see if things improve.

These batteries have been known to go kaput, but it is usually constant current drain that kills them such as dashcams.

You could have a faulty Battery Charging Module though, I'd be booking it in if it is still playing up after a charge, there will be fault codes logged.

32 minutes ago, weehappypixie said:

Hi pist0nbr0ke,

I do have a dashcam but I only plug it into the 12V outlet when driving and unplug it before I leave the car as it's not a switched 12V supply. Only fixed camera is the one that came with the car for the Lane Assist.

John

Won't be that then.

I'm no expert - I'd be getting the dealer to check it out under warranty, or calling Skoda assist when it's dead. (Rather than just keep jump starting it.)

Edited by pist0nbr0ke

+1 for above, after locking the car you should wait for several minutes before checking the current drain.

Just unlocking the car wakes up several modules (like the engine ECU) to prepare for the car being started.

After ignition off & locking teh car, it will also take several minutes for modules to go to sleep as the perform several shutdown tasks once the driver leaves the car.

However, I would go with AndyVee's answer regarding a faulty battery or battery quality module.

There have been several replaced early in the vehicles life for users on the forum.

Get it recovered via Skodaassist or book it into the dealer to get them to investigate.

16 hours ago, weehappypixie said:

Hi Folks,

Hope someone can help. I have a 1.4 Skoda Octavia SE L which was built in Nov 2016. I have noticed since December 2017 that my Start/Stop does not work anymore and on 3 occasions now I have parked the car on a Friday after work and on the Monday morning the battery is dead.

This morning I popped the bonnet and connected our DC clamp meter to the battery with everything switched OFF and nothing plugged into 12V outlet or USB and it's drawing just over 3.5A as shown below. Surely this isn't normal consumption.

Any idea's folk's. Dead cell? Surely a battery should last longer than a year. Is this Start/Stop system killing my battery.

Thanks

John

IMG_20180205_100338.jpg

There are a few threads on this topic

Just an update folks. I had a duff battery. They said I had a shorted cell and my battery was only charging to 17Ah.

Replaced battery and all OK now. They said the battery was adapted to my car, does this mean the battery needs coding and if so does that mean I'm stuck to using VAG batteries in the future.

Thanks again,

John

18 minutes ago, weehappypixie said:

Just an update folks. I had a duff battery. They said I had a shorted cell and my battery was only charging to 17Ah.

Replaced battery and all OK now. They said the battery was adapted to my car, does this mean the battery needs coding and if so does that mean I'm stuck to using VAG batteries in the future.

Thanks again,

John

It means that the serial number of the battery has been programmed to the car! I believe, in-case of any battery issues or changing of a battery at a later date, the car has to know the serial number of the battery.

As above, non-VW group batteries are fine. Just need to change the serial number so the car knows it has a fresh battery and will adapt and charge it accordingly so. 2 Min job with VCDS or similar.

Doesn't need to have the actual serial, just one digit changed from previous. My VW group battery had 1111111111 coded.