Alarm going off overnight in the cold weather

Hello

First of all I'm a new member - bought a 10 plate fabia 1.6 diesel in November

Over xmas during the night when very cold (has to be below zero) the alarm persistently goes off....this had stopped for a few weeks but colder weather has started it up again. For me it's not that much of an issue as I seem to sleep through it, but I think my neighbours are quite close to murdering me. 

Just had a mechanic have a look at the alarm codes, it comes up with "Power on Reset" - does this mean anything?

I've had a look through the forum and seems like things to have a look at are the condition of the battery, the door/boot/bonnet latches...

and if I can't get it sorted is there any way of disabling the alarm? Would removing fuse 60 work?

Thanks

Try disabling the interior alarm by pressing the button fitted on the drivers door card below the door handle  and lock the car within 30 seconds. (Check the owners manual if you are unsure what I mean) Has to be done every time you leave/lock the car.

May or may not help. If siren battery is low, the power on reset may forget this setting.

25 minutes ago, Mattylad said:

Can these siren batteries be DIY replaced?

There used to be a bit of chat on the Passat forums about this, originally coming from the Audi forums as the old A4s tended to need new batteries fitted at some point in their life, and people seemed to buy a new battery, and , maybe a battery box - if needed from Maplin.  Some of that would depend on where the alarm siren/battery unit was located.  I've owned a 2000 VW Passat 4Motion from new up to just over 13 years and a 2002 VW Polo 1.4 SE from new up to 13 years, both of these cars had factory alarms built in and I never needed to replace an alarm battery - though I had done my homework and so was prepared for needing to do that during the time I ran these two cars.

Edit:- when I owned a VX Cav GSI 4X4, it used to set off its alarm frequently, I worked out that that was due to the car battery dropping voltage maybe in a irregular manner, replacing the car's main battery stopped that happening for quite a few years, then it started happening again, so I replaced the battery again, now I do know that I was not sorting it, I was just sticking a plaster on that fault, but it worked for me as the investigation probably needed by the main dealer etc would probably cost more than a couple of car batteries.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I had this on my mark 1 Fabia vRS.

I ended up pulling the Haynes Manuel out and removing the alarm fuse and the hazard fuse.

i just had to remember to put the hazard fuse back in when I needed to drive the car.

Davy

On 2/9/2018 at 20:05, Mattylad said:

Where is the alarm\siren in the fabia?

Would be nice to know should this ever need looking at.

Cheers

It is between the rear bulkhead of the engine bay and bottom of windscreen in the middle by the wiper motor. You need to take the wipers off, scuttle panel at base of windscreen and it it fixed behind a metal plate. Bit of a pain of a job.

As for the alarm going off. Mine kept doing this and was traced to the wiring loom in the door being corroded at the bottom of the plug where it plugs into the door - behind the rubber flexi-boot you can see between the door hinges when the door is open.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for butting in here but no-one seems to respond in the Roomster area but im getting the same problem, my car alarm is going off all over the place.

As in 150 mile drive park up 4 hours later off it goes, leave it at work all day 7.30 -4pm not a squeek, drive home park up 2 hours later off it goes. Reset alarm stays quiet till about 2am weird eh

my mechanic friend scanned the car and told me its coming up with 

1 Fault Found:
01134 - Alarm Horn (H12) 
            49-00 - No Communications

So reading through various forums websites it could be wiring or more likely culprit the alarm horn itself? some even stating the car battery as mine is less than 18mths old i will bypass that one.

But any other avenues to follow i will gladly carry out.

My initial response is to purchase a cheap (relatively) alarm horn strip it and replace the batteries and replace the old one at least then i know 2 out of 3 areas are sorted, But i am scratching my head for the fuse any help please ??

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2018 at 22:28, bombheads12 said:

Sorry for butting in here but no-one seems to respond in the Roomster area but im getting the same problem, my car alarm is going off all over the place.

As in 150 mile drive park up 4 hours later off it goes, leave it at work all day 7.30 -4pm not a squeek, drive home park up 2 hours later off it goes. Reset alarm stays quiet till about 2am weird eh

my mechanic friend scanned the car and told me its coming up with 

1 Fault Found:
01134 - Alarm Horn (H12) 
            49-00 - No Communications

So reading through various forums websites it could be wiring or more likely culprit the alarm horn itself? some even stating the car battery as mine is less than 18mths old i will bypass that one.

But any other avenues to follow i will gladly carry out.

My initial response is to purchase a cheap (relatively) alarm horn strip it and replace the batteries and replace the old one at least then i know 2 out of 3 areas are sorted, But i am scratching my head for the fuse any help please ??

The Roomster shares many things with the Fabia as I'm sure you're aware.  If you want to silence the alarm horn in an emergency take out the fuse, on my Fabia it is the 3rd fuse in on the top row - might be different location on yours depending on what options are fitted etc. The back of the fuse box door / housing has icons on it letting you know what is what. The alarm has a picture of a car with someone running away.