1.0 TSI - DSG

If I was driving anything like UK traffic, no way I'd go manual. I have peace and tranquility most of the time and don't do the Helsinki run more often than I need to, so I'm OK with the manual. Don't agree that first is too low-geared, but can really understand the desire for DSG if you spend much time in traffic. It's probably the way I'd go if I was looking to replace.

- Bret

I've not driven far - probably would have been better with a boat given the UK weather this Easter! - but my initial impressions of the DSG (not having driven any DSG-spec'd car before) is that its pretty relaxed and suits the car well. My own driving style is laid back and it fits nicely with that, especially seeing most of its use will be in the commuter crawl. One thing I did notice is that the car is eager to move through the gears, at least in the default (non sport) mode but it does seem a bit ponderous when pulling off - that could be more to do with my main driving being in an electric car (Leaf) where torque is on tap immediately. Stop-start is going to take some getting used to though.

Cheers guys. I did test a Leon 1.0 DSG but felt like the car was driving me & it changed up really early. Maybe I just don't drive it for long enough. Does the Octavia have a sport mode? I do have the option of adding flappy paddles & that might help me feel a bit more involved. It's a company lease so no worries about reliability. Just sold my 1.4tsi estate manual which I loved!

All DSGs have a Sport mode, holds gear longer, and seems to not use top gear.

They also have some sort of memory that learns your driving style and you will find the changes settle down.  The engine can be a bit tight for first 1000 miles and it seems to take a few hundred miles more before it becomes fully sweet.   Not sure why it happens but I suspect the default style used in early mileage is set up for economy rather than everyday driving.

Would be interesting to know the towing weight with the 1.0 engine, I am sure it is capable power wise but would feel harsh making the small engine pull a 1200kg Caravan with a family of 5 plus luggage.

1 hour ago, AwaoffSki said:

1,500kg braked, 610kg. with 115ps

If you want to know max gross / unladen etc from hatch or estate just google them.

That is very impressive for 1.0 even if it is turbocharged.

8 minutes ago, POWYSWALES said:

That is very impressive for 1.0 even if it is turbocharged.

It is impressive, but just because Skoda say it can, does not mean that it is a good idea to run up to those sorts of weights, especially  a FWD with little (engine) weight over the front wheels. Possible traction and 'tail wagging the dog' issues spring to mind.

A bit of common sense about what is put on the back and expectations for the combination,  and I'm sure it is a fine towing vehicle.

The thing that is rarely mentioned is the very low capacity 70kg towball downforce rating for all Octavia models. That is a limitation here in Australia where locally produced caravans adopt the US standards of high towbar loads. European built caravans with lower ball weights are very expensive here.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I got hold of a demo car yesterday and as a result, I'm about to pull the trigger on a 1.0 DSG Estate SE Technology. I'm blown away by the engine & box combo! The engine is so punchy & characterful (massively better than the one in a Fiesta Ecoboost that I'm running around in at the moment. The box is a revelation; super smooth, quick changes & love the sport mode. Pulling away is so quiet & smooth it almost feels like a hybrid on electric power.

I honestly can't see myself going back to a manual after this.

Quartz Grey or Racing Blue...?

:)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, usedit67 said:

Well, I got hold of a demo car yesterday and as a result, I'm about to pull the trigger on a 1.0 DSG Estate SE Technology. I'm blown away by the engine & box combo! The engine is so punchy & characterful (massively better than the one in a Fiesta Ecoboost that I'm running around in at the moment. The box is a revelation; super smooth, quick changes & love the sport mode. Pulling away is so quiet & smooth it almost feels like a hybrid on electric power.

I honestly can't see myself going back to a manual after this.

Quartz Grey or Racing Blue...?

:)

We went with Quartz Grey because Mrs Statto thought the Race Blue was a bit too in your face (much to my disappointment). She now can't believe how quickly the grey shows the dirt - I'd warned her about black (which was her original preference) but she didn't realise the same would apply to the grey

3 hours ago, Mr Statto said:

We went with Quartz Grey because Mrs Statto thought the Race Blue was a bit too in your face (much to my disappointment). She now can't believe how quickly the grey shows the dirt - I'd warned her about black (which was her original preference) but she didn't realise the same would apply to the grey

I wish we did the same, Mrs wanted black so we got black.  Still waiting for it to arrive though (ordered in December)

I went Quartz Grey for exactly that reason that the punchier colours (like Race Blue) drew attention to the fact it wasn't a VRS :) I think it suits the car, in the SE Tech spec, understated but looks nice (when clean) in the sun!

I have an Octavia SE 1.0 DSG Estate on order.  Really looking forward to it.  We currently have a Yeti 1.2DSG which replaced a 170 TDI Superb 4 x 4.  The difference between the Yeti and the Superb on a long journey is to close to call, and the 1.0 has 5bhp more than the Yeti.

build is due first week in June and we will be raking it to Austria at the end of June.

John 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jst_at_home said:

I have an Octavia SE 1.0 DSG Estate on order.  Really looking forward to it.  We currently have a Yeti 1.2DSG which replaced a 170 TDI Superb 4 x 4.  The difference between the Yeti and the Superb on a long journey is to close to call, and the 1.0 has 5bhp more than the Yeti.

build is due first week in June and we will be raking it to Austria at the end of June.

John 

Interesting comment about Yeti and Superb, in my mind they would be so dissimilar as to be almost non-comparable. 

Out of curiosity did the 2WD Yeti have a multi-link or torsion beam rear? Casual Google search on the subject was not very forthcoming.

Some people are scathing about the torsion bar rear suspension on the mk3 Octavia but except for rough badly corrugated dirt roads (Australia) it is a non-issue for me.

Guess May is going to pass by real slow for you.

We have a Yeti and Mk3 Octavia. (And a Mk2 Octavia and a Citigo. :) )

The Yeti rides potholes and ridges much better than the Octavia but as it has long travel independent suspension you would expect that. The Yeti also isolates suspension noise better and has less thump into the cabin.

I don't believe the Octavia's issue is all down to the torsion beam. I've drive vRS and 4x4 with independent setups and to be honest they are not much better at isolating potholes and ridges than the torsion beam models and the bigger wheels on the vRS negate any advantages in ride quality. And the thumps are as bad from the front as the rear and that's independent. 

I just think the Mk3 Octavia suspension setup is very firm even on standard models and there is a general lack of sound isolation from suspension and road noise. 16" wheeled models are better but start getting into 17's, 18's and 19's and the ride refinement is not class leading.

You only have to drive a Golf with the same torsion beam setup to feel the difference, there is more initial suppleness and far less thump in the cabin over potholes and ridges.

Lee

3 hours ago, Gerrycan said:

Interesting comment about Yeti and Superb, in my mind they would be so dissimilar as to be almost non-comparable. 

Out of curiosity did the 2WD Yeti have a multi-link or torsion beam rear? Casual Google search on the subject was not very forthcoming.

Some people are scathing about the torsion bar rear suspension on the mk3 Octavia but except for rough badly corrugated dirt roads (Australia) it is a non-issue for me.

Guess May is going to pass by real slow for you.

Re Torsion best, I really don't know.  

Re comparison.  We drive to Austria twice a year.  Yes, the Superb had more room (hence the new Octavia estate) but my benchmark was the ability to cruise comfortably at 60 to 70 mph and the 1.2 Yeti did this admirably.  And for a number of reasons (nothing to do with so-called dieselgate) we neither want no need a diesel.

yes, May will be a long month.

john