All season tyres

kelper

The German car magazine, Autobild, seems to publish the most thorough and well-designed tyre tests.  Their website publishes a shortened version which Google translates remarkably well.  But to get the tables and full test one has to buy the PDF download.  For those (like me) who don't sprechen the Deutsche too well I have abstracted the tables and laid them out in a way that I think makes the test results much clearer.  For many of the tests the differences between tyres are very small.  In some case the differences are tiny and within experimental error.  My graphs look different to theirs because the Y axis starts at zero.  This shows the true relative performances.

Initially, they tested 25 all season tyres.  They rejected all the tyres that had a wet braking distance plus dry braking distance of 90m or more.  Each parameter is compared with a full winter-spec tyre and a full summer-spec tyre although I don't know which ones they picked.

image.jpeg.50d6b4be1f9a9a40a17acffa85ad6dac.jpeg

The original article is here

My version is attached.

It seems to me that Goodyear, Conti and Michelin would all be good choices.

Michelin did not do well on the curve aquaplaning test!

All seasons tyre test.xlsx

• Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...

I had not heard of these before, just read about them on a 4x4 forum where a member has them fitted.

I have T/A KM BFG's on a Jimny and have had for about 6 years, and i had BFG A/T's on my 110 All year round.

So.

BR Goodrich 'Urban Terrain' T/A.    Maybe worth checking out.

UK, European launch for BFGoodrich truck_bus tyre range _ Tyrepress.mhtml

Edited by AwaoffSki

I have the Vredestein Quatrac 5's fitted to my Superb 3 and they're proving very good so far.  I've even been 'fortunate' enough to try them in a few inches of snow; they are more than capable.  Only thing I will say is that when turning sharply they don't dig in as well as a dedicated Winter tyre.  Really pleased and think they're a good compromise between having two sets of wheels on the go. 

I would have like to go for the GY Vectors or Michelin CC but the manufacturers only go up to R18.  Missing a trick with the popularity of larger wheels on SUV's IMO. 

On 2/23/2018 at 08:02, AwaoffSki said:

I had not heard of these before, just read about them on a 4x4 forum where a member has them fitted.

I have T/A KM BFG's on a Jimny and have had for about 6 years, and i had BFG A/T's on my 110 All year round.

So.

BR Goodrich 'Urban Terrain' T/A.    Maybe worth checking out.

AKA Kleber Citilander ;)

• Thanks 1

Cheers.

Happy on what i am using today, but will get a set of those at some point.

DSCN3922.JPG

DSCN3921.JPG

DSCN3918.JPG

DSCN3909.JPG

DSCN3902.JPG

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ive had both Goodyear vector 4 seasons and michelin crossclimates for several miles. 

Its crossclimates every time for me. Maybe not quite as good in the deep now but the rest of the time theyre loads better. Better precision, grip and less wallowing in summer. Actually drive like summers with an added bonus in winter. 

• 2 weeks later...