Rear view camera retrofit

gony

Hi! I want to retrofit the rearview camera for my superb my 2017. I have amundsen with front and rear sensors. I do not have rear wiper.

Does anybody knows that beside a camera and wires, do i need also an video interface or something similiar? Any suggestions to buy them online?

Thanks

I retrofitted highline Rear View Camera on my Superb MY 2017.

In short, you will need this:

• OEM Camera (3V0827566A)
  • OEM MQB Highline Camera Cable

I ordered this OEM kit (http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/shop/rear-view-cameras-12/oem-highline-rvc-rear-view-camera/), but after I have received it, it turned out the package contains wrong cables.

The photo and the instructions all show the correct cable, yet I received the wrong cable, which is used for old head units and not new Amundsen / Columbus units.

I tried to contact the shop (sent many e-mails, called them, etc.) and they simply ignored my e-mails and calls (it's funny - they responded to my emails and questions I had before I placed the order, but after I have placed it and paid, they simply ignored me).

I intentionally ordered the kit so I won't need to order the camera and cables separately, yet that didn't help because of the awful customer service at cars-equipment.com. Because of that, I would recommend you to order it from some other website (if you search around the forum, you will see many other people also had bad experience with that website - sadly I didn't do that before placing my order).

This meant I needed to spent another 100 EUR even though a mistake was on their side to get the correct cables (http://www.cars-equipment.com/en/shop/rvc-parts-controlers-and-cameras/oem-mqb-highline-camera-cable-wire/).

After you Install the camera, you will indeed need to code it using VCDS. Also be careful that the OEM camera you order already has a firmware for Superb 3 installed. If the firmware is not installed, you will need to flash it yourself and calibrate the camera which is quite involved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kami_ said:

I ordered this OEM kit (http://www.cars-equipment.com/www/en/shop/rear-view-cameras-12/oem-highline-rvc-rear-view-camera/), but after I have received it, it turned out the package contains wrong cables.

The photo and the instructions all show the correct cable, yet I received the wrong cable, which is used for old head units and not new Amundsen / Columbus units.

I tried to contact the shop (sent many e-mails, called them, etc.) and they simply ignored my e-mails and calls (it's funny - they responded to my emails and questions I had before I placed the order, but after I have placed it and paid, they simply ignored me).

I intentionally ordered the kit so I won't need to order the camera and cables separately, yet that didn't help because of the awful customer service at cars-equipment.com. Because of that, I would recommend you to order it from some other website (if you search around the forum, you will see many other people also had bad experience with that website - sadly I didn't do that before placing my order).

This meant I needed to spent another 100 EUR even though a mistake was on their side to get the correct cables (http://www.cars-equipment.com/en/shop/rvc-parts-controlers-and-cameras/oem-mqb-highline-camera-cable-wire/).

After you Install the camera, you will indeed need to code it using VCDS. Also be careful that the OEM camera you order already has a firmware for Superb 3 installed. If the firmware is not installed, you will need to flash it yourself and calibrate the camera which is quite involved.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the cable. An expensive and annoying omission in the kit. Could you not request a chargeback, assuming a credit card was used? I’m sure that would get some attention from the website!

4 hours ago, Kami_ said:

What was wrong with your cable? I too have just had mine for the octavia and as far as i can see it looks right. I have 2  wires for the camera one with a shield for pins 6 and 12. A posite and negative feed and 2 wires for high and low canbus. Can i ask if you connected behind the glove box module or at the head unit. Ill be starting my install in the next day or two.

1 hour ago, arnold said:

What was wrong with your cable? I too have just had mine for the octavia and as far as i can see it looks right. I have 2  wires for the camera one with a shield for pins 6 and 12. A posite and negative feed and 2 wires for high and low canbus. Can i ask if you connected behind the glove box module or at the head unit. Ill be starting my install in the next day or two.

Yes, it was connected to the unit inside the glove box because that's where the main unit is at.

Those are the cables I received in the kit - http://oi67.tinypic.com/2rost47.jpg and those are the ones which are needed - http://i65.tinypic.com/i74p6s.jpg.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kami_ said:

Yes, it was connected to the unit inside the glove box because that's where the main unit is at.

Those are the cables I received in the kit - http://oi67.tinypic.com/2rost47.jpg and those are the ones which are needed - http://i65.tinypic.com/i74p6s.jpg.

Ok I see. Mine are completely different so that's a relief. Did you source the positive and negative from the same place as well. Any idea of pin numbers or is it fairly obvious when the units out. I have my multi meter at hand if not. 

2 minutes ago, arnold said:

Ok I see. Mine are completely different so that's a relief. Did you source the positive and negative from the same place as well. Any idea of pin numbers or is it fairly obvious when the units out. I have my multi meter at hand if not. 

In that first link for the OEM kit, halfway down the page, is a link to a PDF installation “guide”. http://www.cars-equipment.com/base/files/shop-attachments/6495308/44280.-kodovanie-6C-Highline-cam.pdf

Edited by wg100
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Kami_ said:

Thank you very much for this helpful suggestions. I was in dealer and they did not want to make the retro fit and than i went to a local garage where i received this strange reply regarding the need of an “camera module” beside the oem camera.

so you also did not have the rear wiper right?

If you spec a factory fit reversing camera you need to also go for the (free) washer-wipe. Does OEM work regardless? Never thought a rear wiper would make any difference! But it's free and I wanted it anyway.

Does the OEM unit do the various modes for the reverse camera including putting the guide-lines on, parallel park, trailer hitching and the wide/fisheye view for reversing out of a parking space?

You don’t need the wiper for the retrofit. The camera has a built in washer nozzle so the lens will get cleaned when you’re applying washer fluid to the rear window. Obviously this function won’t be available without a rear wiper. I did not connect it on my car, and I don’t miss it. 

Yes, it has all the different modes. 

12 hours ago, GaSelle said:

You don’t need the wiper for the retrofit. The camera has a built in washer nozzle so the lens will get cleaned when you’re applying washer fluid to the rear window. Obviously this function won’t be available without a rear wiper. I did not connect it on my car, and I don’t miss it. 

Yes, it has all the different modes. 

Yes, what he said.

If it's an OEM highline RVC camera and it's correctly coded you should see 3 different modes (standard, wide angle / fish eye, tow bar).

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know which camera and cable would work on an MY17 hatch with a Bolero head unit and no rear wiper? A standard camera would be fine, but I don’t see any lowline options so maybe not much of a price difference?

Thanks for the info :thumbup:

It looks like the camera unit is the same and it’s just additional can signal connections that allow for the highline options so not much point to retrofitting the lowline setup. I hope it works with the Bolero unit.

• 2 weeks later...

So to give an update pf the situation. I received finally an offer from dealer for reverse camera retrofit. They quoted eur 575 including installation.

there are two downsize of the issue, they do not confirm if the camera is highline and this is the first time that they will retrofit the camera to a car. In this regard i need your opinions if it is worth to retrofit with above conditions.

thank you

• 1 year later...

Just installed my camera but having trouble with the coding. I followed the guide in the hyperlink above but having trouble with Module 6C - byte 1+2 wont allow me to change the values as per the guide: meant to be 40840201A2002017000040. The best I can do is 40000001A2002017000040. If I change the numbers manually it comes up ‘uninitialised module’. Anyone managed to crack this?