Rear view camera retrofit

gony

So for anyone else out there struggling...

in the end I called Skoda (Ashford Kent) and they were actually very helpful. Coding and calibration done for £108 inc. VAT. I was happy with that. The guy said the coding I did was correct but it doesn’t always work and he had to go about it a more long winded way. No idea what he meant but I can’t knock them. They fitted it in next day too, so happy customer here. Doing the install myself was great from a learning perspective. If I had to do it again I would do it in half the time. If anyone needs advice feel free to ask. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello, my one is my17 Se business trim with navigation. Is highline or low line dependent of the highline camera for trs or not( i suspect not).

I need to replace my boot switch/ handle( not the lock) and seems i can only source one with camera and very tempted to do the retrofitting while boot hatch lining is off.

How i can determine exactly what cable i need high line or low line? Is the camera calibration different between hatch and estate?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I would like to know the same like the previous person...I have a 2016 Superb (wagon/staton) is it he high or the low camera?

Another thing, does anybody have experience with cameras from AliExpress? I found this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32917491245.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.6e933c00ZSbXGq&mp=1

Quality of the picture, any difference in the functionalities?

thanks in advance:)

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally decided to have a go at this and bought the cam from the link above. It all fitted nicely, but when trying the coding from the guide (below) it’s not working:

https://www.cars-equipment.com/base/files/shop-attachments/6495308/44280.-kodovanie-6C-Highline-cam.pdf

I can enter most of the coding, but when attempting the last 6C (Manual tr.) edit I cannot even get into the module. VCDS attempts connection several times then exits the module window. I now see people referring to alternative coding for the Lowline setup which I would need for my Bolero unit, but can’t find the actual coding.

I’m now getting two errors:

5F-Information Electr. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
6C-Back-up Cam. -- Status: Cannot be reached 0100

Also, when I change the “Car_Function_List_BAP_Gen2-VPS_0x0B” I get an Adaptation error (image below) and tried both “Yes” and “No” and both appear to activate it though. Tried with and without adding the “Security code: 20103” before going into Adaptation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’m now wondering if a faulty camera or leaving the Can wire connections disconnected could cause the issue.

vcds.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, Looking at putting this in, to combat lockdown boredom. From those who have done it any advice? For the coding are there any cheaper alternatives to VCDS, I already have a bluetooth OBD dongle so a phone based app would be great.

Thanks.

Bought the camera and cable. Any advice on coding? Do I need VCDS, or can I use Carista or OBDEleven? Any other options? I will not be using any coding again, so if I buy software/cable is it easy to resell? Thanks.

55 minutes ago, kindalen said:

Bought the camera and cable. Any advice on coding? Do I need VCDS, or can I use Carista or OBDEleven? Any other options? I will not be using any coding again, so if I buy software/cable is it easy to resell? Thanks.

As far as i know only vcds can do it.

• Like 1

Thanks, will use vcds so. Do you fit the wiring from front to back or does it make any difference? Has anybody done a tutorial/youtube video on this? 

Also do you remove the side panel and glove box to disconnect the headunit, seems very tight at back to pull straight out?

Edited by kindalen

No you can remove the head unit without removing the glove box (although it will be dangling), the wires are very tight though! (they certainly were when I took my head unit out to be upgraded from MIB 2 to 2.5)

From what I've seen you do need to wire the cable from front to the back of the car, which is one reason why I can't be bothered to retrofit this to my car.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

• Thanks 1

Got the head unit out, what a pain.... had to pop the quadlock from the side panel with a screw driver. VERY fiddely job, massive PITA. Looking at the wires it makes sense(to me) to work from front to back. Have spent about 3 hours just removing trim panels.

• Sad 1

On 24/05/2020 at 15:41, kindalen said:

Got the head unit out, what a pain.... had to pop the quadlock from the side panel with a screw driver. VERY fiddely job, massive PITA. Looking at the wires it makes sense(to me) to work from front to back. Have spent about 3 hours just removing trim panels.

Any tips about, what needs to come off, and ideas to get them off? 

Might seem no one cares, but is not so...at least i do...

I did not got my camera yet as everywhere i look is about 200£ with the cable, but i have in mind for a while to do it as soon as i buy the vcds.

What do you refer to as glitches with coding?

10 hours ago, kindalen said:

Camera installed today. Few glitches with coding, I don't have park assist but it seems to think I do. The interior lights not working (will check fuse tomorrow).  

What trim do you have?

On 24/05/2020 at 14:55, ChrisCh said:

No you can remove the head unit without removing the glove box (although it will be dangling), the wires are very tight though! (they certainly were when I took my head unit out to be upgraded from MIB 2 to 2.5)

From what I've seen you do need to wire the cable from front to the back of the car, which is one reason why I can't be bothered to retrofit this to my car.

Good luck and let us know how you get on!

Is mib2.5 the one with touch buttons may 2017 on? instead of the side buttons up to then? 

Car is 2018 SE Tech. 

Have Amundsen with 2 physical buttons.

Coding seems to be for a car with park assist, will have to change it. Also showing boot open when closed. I will look at the codes on VCDS today and clear them and see if they come back. I am new to VCDS so progress will be slow!

To remove the headunit remove side panel. Use removal keys to pull out headunit, I used a screwdriver to pry open the quadlock from side panel. Any questions please just ask.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kindalen said:

Car is 2018 SE Tech. 

Have Amundsen with 2 physical buttons.

Coding seems to be for a car with park assist, will have to change it. Also showing boot open when closed. I will look at the codes on VCDS today and clear them and see if they come back. I am new to VCDS so progress will be slow!

To remove the headunit remove side panel. Use removal keys to pull out headunit, I used a screwdriver to pry open the quadlock from side panel. Any questions please just ask.

Boot showing open when closed  might not be a coding issue... Had to replace my boot handle do to playing up and had the same, turned out was a a trim issue, i removed all boot trim put it back again and was fine...and yes... Believe it or not the microswitch tends to fail, happened to a friend with audi a4 and also to a passat both share the same switch.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, SpAwNtoHell said:

Is mib2.5 the one with touch buttons may 2017 on? instead of the side buttons up to then? 

Yes MIB 2.5 is the newer cars - mid 2017 onwards with touch buttons (rather than real buttons) and glossy / glass screens rather than matte.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, kindalen said:

Interesting, have the boot trim still off. Have to pop it back on later today.

That is rather strange compared with what happened to me.

Curios... do you have electronic boot open or normal?

Odd alright. The interior lights are not working and the backlighting for the maxidot and screen and the aircon temp are all really low/nearly impossible to see.

Have yet to clear the codes with vcds. I'd say battery was very low from being idle so took it for a spin.

Have a normal boot handle, hopefully it will clear after a drive and clearing codes.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Ok, so first of all im very sorry to raise this from the ashes, but, i do have a valid question.

On my 2016 superb combi, when i put it in reverse i do have the guide lines, and all the other modes, the one which shows obstacles in red squares, the fish eye, the tow hook. But, i have read that if you have a factory fitted tow hitch, and you want to use trailer assist, you need RVC High, in the documentation with all the specs my car was ordered with, i have 161 KA2 VWGROUP KSU "REAR VIEW CAMERA MID", looking at all the available info i could find, there were only 2 options, lowline, and highline RVC, and i have a rear wiper, and the camera does not have the wash nozzle!

So im kinda confused now, i still didnt have time to hook up to my trailer and see if i get the option to use trailer assist once its coupled.. so any help on identifying which camera this is? Thank you all in advance!