Keyless Entry Fob Battery Life

3 minutes ago, MrWow said:

Acquired my Octavia 1st Feb 2018, needed a new battery in the fob to work KESSY.

Now getting warning that battery needs changing and fob does not work KESSY.  Is this normal?

2018? If it's only 3 weeks old then no it's definitely not normal! 

Edited by jtalep

18 months with mine. If you have kessy get one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076KZF645/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.   Loads of cars being stolen recently in my area . 

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/crime/norfolk-police-warning-after-spate-of-thefts-of-keyless-cars-1-5397393

Edited by arnold
  • Like 1

My main Kessy key lasts about 18months-24months between battery changes (obviously depending on how often its used).

I have the standard size, but always use a branded battery from a trusted retailer rather than the poundshop equivelant.

6 minutes ago, Gabbo said:

always use a branded battery from a trusted retailer rather than the poundshop equivelant.

This. Over 1 year and under 2 years sounds about right.

I had to change the original battery after about 80k km / 1.5 years.

I fitted a Maxell CR2032 which lasted about 120k km / 2 years.

It's worth using the thicker battery. :)

• Like 1

On 2/22/2018 at 10:11, Gabbo said:

My main Kessy key lasts about 18months-24months between battery changes (obviously depending on how often its used).

I have the standard size, but always use a branded battery from a trusted retailer rather than the poundshop equivelant.

I used Duracell! Guess there must be something wrong with fob.  Other fob seems to be fine so far.

19 hours ago, aki78 said:

I had to change the original battery after about 80k km / 1.5 years.

I fitted a Maxell CR2032 which lasted about 120k km / 2 years.

It's worth using the thicker battery. :)

Thanks might try that!

On 2/21/2018 at 22:06, arnold said:

Thanks top tip - have just had 2 delivered today :biggrin:

On 2/21/2018 at 19:47, jtalep said:

2018? If it's only 3 weeks old then no it's definitely not normal! 

forgot to mention it's a 2013 MY

On 23/02/2018 at 16:57, MrWow said:

Thanks top tip - have just had 2 delivered today :biggrin:

forgot to mention it's a 2013 MY

That does make rather a difference to the Feb 2018 purchase assumption!

On ‎23‎.‎02‎.‎2018 at 17:53, MrWow said:

I used Duracell! Guess there must be something wrong with fob.  Other fob seems to be fine so far.

I would change the battery another time just to be sure the one you fitted wasnt a dud &/or discount a case e.g. where the a button on the fob has been constantly pressed in your Pocket.

If it is still the same, ask the dealer to replace it.

Mine is about 14 months old and last weekend we went out for a hike in a beautiful yet cold winter day. I think it was about -15 degrees and we were away from the car for about 1,5 hours. The key was in the pocket of my winter jacket and when we returned to the car the battery in the keyfob had died completely. I couldn't open the doors at first but eventually removed the plastic cover next to the door handle and opened the door mechanically. Alarm went off and I tried to start the car by pushing the button but obviously it didn't recognize the key. We were about an hour away from our home and ended up bringing a secondary key to start the car (I suspected that the keyfob had died all together because I borrowed a battery from a guy and it still didn't work. Later at home I inserted a brand new battery and it started functioning again).

I know that some cars have the possibility of starting the car even when the battery in the keyfob has died. You just need to hold the key right next to the designated location and the car is still able to recognize the key even though the battery has died. Does Octavia have this kind of designated location? I tried holding the key next to the start-button but that didn't work. Has anyone been in that situation? It is a little scary to think that you could get stranded on cold winter days like that. We were lucky to have helpful people around but that might not always be the case.

Tried again this morning. Removed the battery from the keyfob and entered the car using the mechanical key. Managed to start the car this time.  Just needed a correct placement of the keyfob.

Every key is required to be able to start car even with dead battery.  And all keys also have emergency blades for opening door if battery dead. So no vehicle is dependant on working battery to open or start the car. Battery is only for central locking or prox system. Procedures will be well explained in manual for every car. 

As mentioned some require holding the key up to start/stop button but the emblem placement is important and varies from car to car. There is a chip inside the key that gets powered by an electromagnetic current provided by a coil inside the start/stop button, it’s very low energy so positioning is important. 

Other cars have hidden slots to put the key into. But on Octy it’s hold to Start/Stop button. 

And emergency key blades can be obvious or well hidden, often requiring you to pop off plastic covers to access them. 

Good idea to use the lock once in a while just to prevent things getting seized from lack of use. 

And your lock may only be on the pass side under a cover. 

As regards battery, should be getting close to 2 years. Prob just a dud battery that is going flat under load. See plenty of them. Even when you test them they will show 3v but under load the power is not there. 

And when changing, change like for like - don’t put 2032 where 2020 should be etc - the space inside these fobs is measured & designed to the MM and putting thicker bats in won’t give you much more life but may damage things by being squeezed in where it’s not supposed to be. The first two digits are circumference and the second two digits are thickness, but all will be 3V. 

Mine has a fob with a key. But the dealer said any warnings about fob battery life mean both batteries should be changed. May be the same with keyless nowadays.