What to do MOT due soon

Hay people.

Not sure if this is going to be a goodbye or an quite expensive fix (getting angry

Anyway not sure what to do with my motor as my car is due a MOT soon and I know it will fail on the MOT.

just trying to find some advise on if I should carry on with my motor of if its time to get rid as a project car for someone.

Anyway Iv recently had a Brand new Borg and Warner k03s turbo fitted less than 3 months ago, new turbo oil feed pipe, new oil pickup pipe new front bushes and wishbones with new FARB,, new inner rack ends and track rods, along with new boots,  full oil change and flush, pagid discs and pads last year along with stage 1 Revo, coil pack replacements, new window regulator new crack sensor, and a few more fixes, So iv done a lot of work on it.

Now here is the parts that need fixing.

Drivers side door locking Mech has just gone (so door wont open) Easy fix)

Needs a new exhaust system

And my ABS passenger cable has snapped (can be fixed easy)

Now I know my car will not pass its MOT on what needs doing and Also It will need new suspension soon as its getting a bit bouncy.

So Im in two minds to either sell as a full donor car  as MOT ends 9th march, or get all the things fixed. Im Kind of getting to my tether now as iv just had all this work done and now need to fork out at least another £700 to get it sorted with the above parts.

What do people Think.

Getting Fustrated

Or do I get the minors fixed get it passed it mot and sell then as a donor car, or a project car.

gallery_94394_1713_108084.jpg

Edited by drew_smith

Plenty of these being broken on the FB groups, so could go the route of second hand exhaust and abs cable. Door mech is a fairly straightforward fix too. As for suspension, shocks are cheap enough (around £38 each for the front from TPS) or you can get a complete set of coil overs for about £200 - depends if you want to stay standard. Rear shocks are cheap too, at around £25 each for aftermarket ones. Top mounts would need factoring in to that as well, at about £15 each corner. If you are handy with the spanners (or have helpful members close by) then a big chunk is saved on labour.

I would say you could probably sort it all for less than half that price if you scour the classifieds/facebook groups

Cheers Dude

I did look into that,

I didn't mention that I am kind of in a rush as im moving house soon so needs to all be done by the 9th of this month as MOT is due on the on that date, and where im moving to has no drive. so stuck in kind of a way in the time scale and where I have to get it done.

To be honest that's a nice looking vRS mate. Door lock from ebay less than £22 and work fine. Quick delivery too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251356023869?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Exhaust can be got from another car being broken near you fairly cheaply. Or just wing it and see if it does fail on it.

ABS cable can be soldered back together and with some heat shrink and electrical tape will be sorted almost for nothing.

Worry about the suspension at a later date (if it passes). 

At the end of the day its getting on in its years now, as they all are, and you have to expect these things. Plus if you've had enough of it you'll get more for it with a 12 month ticket on it than without.

14 minutes ago, 00000000000000 said:

To be honest that's a nice looking vRS mate. Door lock from ebay less than £22 and work fine. Quick delivery too.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251356023869?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Exhaust can be got from another car being broken near you fairly cheaply. Or just wing it and see if it does fail on it.

ABS cable can be soldered back together and with some heat shrink and electrical tape will be sorted almost for nothing.

Worry about the suspension at a later date (if it passes). 

At the end of the day its getting on in its years now, as they all are, and you have to expect these things. Plus if you've had enough of it you'll get more for it with a 12 month ticket on it than without.

thats a good point

27 minutes ago, octyal said:

I would put it in for MOT and see what they say. Is the exhaust actually blowing? or just crusty? Some stuff may just get an advisory

exhaust is blowing and crusy

just spoke to my local mot.

they say it will prob pass just need get the downpipe to cat sleeve fixed. this will leave slight blow in backbox.

Going buy those parts then fix then sell with full mot.

Shame iv put so much in to it as iv had her.so long but I think its time sell her on after work is done.

Edited by drew_smith

The amount of people that have sold their Mk1 vRS and only to regret it. The decision is entirely up to you obviously but once you've fixed it you might find the love again. :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, 00000000000000 said:

The amount of people that have sold their Mk1 vRS and only to regret it. The decision is entirely up to you obviously but once you've fixed it you might find the love again. :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, 00000000000000 said:

Love hate Mate. ha ha. will let you know how I get on.

I generally spend anywhere between £400 and £1500 every MoT. These cars are getting old and despite the Skoda badge, you're paying out Audi / VW money for parts. In 2016 I spent a total of £2000+ on a total overhaul of just basic running parts.

I will always vote for "keep it" (my car is the ultimate evader of the grim reaper) but it all depends on how committed you are. Look after it and spend money, it'll be one of the best cars you've ever owned. These things are getting rather rare now.

• Thanks 1

Another vote to Keep It! I've spent goodness knows how much since I bought mine, coming up 3 years ago, just on basic things to keep it in as good a condition as I can.  It isn't worth anywhere near what I've spent but I could never part with it and as the guys have mentioned they're getting more and more difficult to come by in good nick. Best of luck with the MOT!

• Thanks 1

Going in for mot. will let you know outcome. if it passes then getting the suspension

Still awaiting  mot as just mived to Macclesfield. does anyone know the guy/girl who drives the black  Octy in macc

Edited by drew_smith