Brake Disc and Pads recommendations for 14 Vrs

Just had the MOT done on my car, and she passed but with advisories. The front pads are 75% worn, but have lipped front discs, so recommended to have Front Discs and Pads, and the Rear Discs are badly pitted and Scored, but the pads OK.

If I go to Skoda I am look at £600 on new discs and pads all round.

A local garage can get me a new set for £400, but didn't specify the brand.

So looking for any other recommendations that people have

ATE power discs (infinite loop groove) & their standard pads...or fit their plain discs & low dust pads...DO NOT fit the grooved discs & low dust pads together as loads of SQUEEEEELLL.

forget everything else..I been there & tried most...

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, banksie said:

https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/automotive/skoda/octavia-5e/2.0-Turbo-vRS-2013-/55143

Have look through this. Black anodised hubs stop the ugly rust showing! Good service from these guys.

The ATE stuff last just as well as the EBC stuff.....& the EBC green stuff pads are useless..me & mate used to recommend them but the last sets we got were useless & genuine EBC...sorry but what EBC & other shout about ATE fit as standard to their discs & don't shout about it... & their manufacturing tolerances are way tighter .....

Mtec in northern Ireland supplied mine front and back discs and pads with free copper grease

£230 delivered.

That's the big 340mm  front discs for the vrs

(drilled and grooved because i am a hopeless poseur)

All because my back discs were really badly rusted with a whole circumference  pit half the width of the brakepad area.

https://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/skoda/octavia-5e-2013/octavia-2-0-tsi-vrs-05-13-05-16.html

Edited by maul
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Orville said:

Skoda have a fixed-price of £275 for front discs & pads on the VRS. Rears are the same price, but can be done much cheaper elsewhere. Unless the rears really need changing, just go with the fronts.

It is now 295 fixed price for fronts and rears (how the rears cost the same, I have no idea), and it was the rears that seem to be in a worse state than the fronts.

Front pads are 75% worn and have lipped discs. Rears discs are described has heavily pitted and scored, though only about 25% wear on the pads.

Currently, think I will go with the plain ATE discs from Euro Car parts when next on deal. Need to work out what pads, as EuroCarParts doesn't list any ATE pads as compatible, just pagid ones.

48 minutes ago, WayTooTall said:

It is now 295 fixed price for fronts and rears (how the rears cost the same, I have no idea), and it was the rears that seem to be in a worse state than the fronts.

Front pads are 75% worn and have lipped discs. Rears discs are described has heavily pitted and scored, though only about 25% wear on the pads.

Currently, think I will go with the plain ATE discs from Euro Car parts when next on deal. Need to work out what pads, as EuroCarParts doesn't list any ATE pads as compatible, just pagid ones.

Code FEB70 ends tonight and is 50% off brakes. Makes it £115 for the front 340mm discs. Pagid pads should be decent quality and would be a further £35 with the code.

How many hours labour do garages generally charge for replacing a couple of discs + pads?

• Like 1

Think I am getting there. Looks like I can get the ATE Plains discs with the Ceramic pads from cartech-one, or mix and match from both cartech-one and eurocarparts to bring the price down a little, when euro have a deal on.

Now to just get a labour cost from my local garage.

The brembo discs and pads from euro Carparts are very good. Had 2 sets on mine and really quiet and even wear Don’t bother with pagid and if they are not listing the brembo 340’s just give them a bell. I am presuming yours are 340mm. 

Edited by Esseesse200

Just had a look using my reg on eurocarparts and they only list the pagid and ate ones in a 340mm. Ate are spot on but come in quite expensive. Ring them in the morning and give them your reg and they’ll defo have the brembo. Otherwise just get on eBay and type skoda 340mm. They’ll be the same discs as seat cupra and vw golf r mk7 and I’m pretty sure the skoda kodiaq uses that front set up too

Edited by Esseesse200

5 hours ago, maul said:

Mtec in northern Ireland supplied mine front and back discs and pads with free copper grease

£230 delivered.

That's the big 340mm  front discs for the vrs

(drilled and grooved because i am a hopeless poseur)

All because my back discs were really badly rusted with a whole circumference  pit half the width of the brakepad area.

https://www.mtecbrakes.com/brake-discs/skoda/octavia-5e-2013/octavia-2-0-tsi-vrs-05-13-05-16.html

they are a few miles up the road from me.

• Like 1

called Mtec last night and they had a full set of these for me plus greenstuff pads this afternoon. I got the protective rust proof coating, dimpled and grooved. Have to say im impressed by the quality for the money, the EBC pads were almost as expensive as the discs.

295 all in considering the pads were near 160. They have a few discount codes running. I think they look really tidy. 

MTECdiscs.jpg

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Like 2

Ooooh if i knew they looked that good treated i would have gone for it. I figured i would  be ok untreated.  and if I needed to do them all again in a few years then £230 ish isn't too drastic for new brakes all round. I would say i'll paint them but i know i wont. 

• Like 1

Hope you have a good impact driver they are a bugger to undo and the back pair are stretch bolts you have to replace and do up silly tight. With  14mm? four square spline drives.

12 hours ago, maul said:

Hope you have a good impact driver they are a bugger to undo and the back pair are stretch bolts you have to replace and do up silly tight. With  14mm? four square spline drives.

Yeah I've got a big impact driver, caliper tool and new bolts, done it before on GTI and several clios. 

Edited by JohnnyType2
  • Like 2