Goodbye Greenline, Hello Monty

Hi everyone, not been here for a while. But it’s great to be back....

So it’s time to say goodbye to my mostly trusty little 62 Plate Fabia greenline estate. He has been a little trooper, (a bit of history now) apart from a massive EGR failure and ridiculous intermittent performance after the emissions update, and with outright lies told to me by the dealer where I bought the car and bit of being ripped off and had me change my dealer, old dealer was bought out by a huge company, sooooooo customer service which was second to none went right out the window. 

But no he has served me well, and it still amazes me what you can squeeze in the back of a Fabia estate.

I’ve ordered me a Monty Estate 1.0 110ps TSI. It’s just time I think but will be sad to say goodbye...

Has anyone had any gremlins I should look out for with this car/engine config or thinns to enjoy I didn’t notice on test drive? I’ve test drove the same car in the sexy grey, but it just so happens there was white one ready and waiting at port of exit. So I went for that one.

I've read on here a few times that the MK3’s headlights are a bit poor, is that still the case?

Has anyone had much experience with this smart link+ / and how well does it work with android?

I'm moving from a 1.2 Tdi to a 1.0 petrol, am I going to see a huge drop in mpg?

Basically any heads up would be appreciated, as many of you guy are owners and over the years your threads have helped me time and time again with my Octavia and my Fabia, I value what you guys have to say.

Thanks everyone, and I hope everyone is well.

P.s. Vey sorry for rambling on...

Cheers, I'll pop some pics up if I remember. 

Ye I think I'll grabs some night breakers from amazon, twin pack is under £15. See what they are like when I collect it... 

Our 2016 Monte estate has the standard fitted headlight bulbs, I’m still yet to understand what all the fuss is about with upgrading them? 

I’ve never struggled to see anything, on any roads, in any lighting conditions.

i hate all these new burn you’re eyes out headlights that people seem to have, total nonsense.

Edited by Jedispooner
  • Like 2

I have never noticed till my wife mentioned it but to be fair streetlights in my area are very very dim.

Will have to see how it fares on a country road later in the week in the dark and report back.

Davy

• Like 1

I think the standard headlights are poor compared to my Tourans. Driver age is probably a factor, as night vision does naturally reduce, also eyes take longer to recovery from dazzle and on-coming lights are much brighter which increases the perception of poor headlights. The standard non-projector bulbs are virtually impossible to change  as many will testify. Don't know what mpg you get from your current TDI, but our 1.2 TSI 110 DSG easily does 50+ on a run and 40 around town, my sister-in-laws 1.2 110 manual seems to do 55+ most of the time.

Hey,

In my greenline I used to get 55-60mpg around town to 75+mpg on motorway. After emmisions update, I have less power or so It certainly feels, and I get around mid to late 40s around town and 50 to 60 at very best on the motorway. Had it all checked and apparently there is minimal change to power output after the update, but now I have dpf regens every week or so and no low down power at all. Didnt have that much to start with,  but now.... Hmmm

I know economy of tsi isn't as good as tdi. But I'm doing much less motorway miles from now on,  so cba with making sure the dpf is happy and the future of diesel seems grim. So thought I would chance a petrol, keep it for a few yrs see how I get on.

Only had my 1.2 Hatch since June but personally I've never had any issues with the headlights, even on dark country roads. Having used Android Auto it works brilliantly, have mainly used it for google maps but spotify also works very well.

When it comes to MPG still alot of testing to do as by the time the engine had been run-in the cold weather arrived but with this I've been averaging around 32mpg in pure town driving. Before the season changed it was around 42mpg under the same circumstances, much better than the Focus and Fiesta I had before which were doing 34 and 27 respectively. On a run I've had it a little over 50mpg and for a journey I've done in each car excluding the Focus as it has a larger fuel tank, the Fiesta used half a tank there and half a tank back whereas the Fabia has only used a 1/3.

Any more questions, feel free to ask.

15 hours ago, SkodaHZD said:

Hey,

In my greenline I used to get 55-60mpg around town to 75+mpg on motorway. After emmisions update, I have less power or so It certainly feels, and I get around mid to late 40s around town and 50 to 60 at very best on the motorway. Had it all checked and apparently there is minimal change to power output after the update, but now I have dpf regens every week or so and no low down power at all. Didnt have that much to start with,  but now.... Hmmm

I know economy of tsi isn't as good as tdi. But I'm doing much less motorway miles from now on,  so cba with making sure the dpf is happy and the future of diesel seems grim. So thought I would chance a petrol, keep it for a few yrs see how I get on.

Gee that was a major consumption downturn after the emission fix!

If the cheat was able to detect when a car was on a rolling road then any power test would be conducted in low emission mode, which would be the same as the post-fix condition, so I would expect the power outputs to be the same or similar, so that test effectively proves nothing. It's quite probable that your diesel engine was actually giving more power on the road in the optimised pre-fix on-road mode which then matches your real life experience.

The tsi should give similar consumption to the diesel post fix, maybe even better when you get used to its characteristics. It took me over a month (converted from a mk2 1.9pd to a mk3 1.4tsi) to get the best consumption from the tsi.

Be interesting to hear your opinions of the new car when you get it.

Edited by Gerrycan

Ye it is. But kinda expected it. Can't see how else they could reduce the emmisions.

But ye I see what you mean. It was quite a nippy car, still can be when it's doing a dpf ha

This greenline is a 3 cylinder. Test drive the 1.0, tsi 3 cylinder petrol and loved the engine, sounds great when u give it the beans but almost silent at cruse. 

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh miss my 1.9 octavia such a great car and went like a stabbed rat ha... 

I can swing the fuel economy of the tsi, petrol is cheaper and will be using the car less too, worth it to for a smoother drive and quieter drive. 

Just keep checking my phone now to see if my monty has arrived, like a kid waiting for Christmas lol..

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I just got a 1.2TSi 110PS Monte and I am getting 50.6 mpg on mixed roads driving reasonably spiritedly. The Computer tells me 50.3 mpg but Brim to Brim 50.6 mpg.

The 1.0TSi motor should be a little more efficient.... not sure to what degree though, I hope you find some comfort in this information.

SlightlyQ

Edited by SlightlyQ

On 25/03/2018 at 20:27, SlightlyQ said:

Hi

I just got a 1.2TSi 110PS Monte and I am getting 50.6 mpg on mixed roads driving reasonably spiritedly. The Computer tells me 50.3 mpg but Brim to Brim 50.6 mpg.

The 1.0TSi motor should be a little more efficient.... not sure to what degree though, I hope you find some comfort in this information.

SlightlyQ

To answer your last query, i have a 1.0tsi on a fabia estate that I recently purchased

My old 1.2tsi 90 was doing about 47 tops with all the roads around here, but I am finding the 1.0tsi is doing high 50's low 60's on the same routes!

Hope that helps?

I had a 1.0 tsi courtesy car, not sure what power but it had 6spd so I’m guessing not the 90bhp model.  It was very nippy and did 56mpg on the motorway which I was shocked at, I get 62mpg out of my 1.6CR.

your low down power will have reduced by about 25% from the emissions update but your peak power will be around the same, which is why it feels like a dog.  You could always get it rolled back, there is a Facebook group dedicated to it and they have a list of recommmended tuners to do it, costs about £100.

Well I got the car, say hello to my new monte carlo..... 

I must say I absolutely love it, I'm getting around 45 to 50 mpg but is getting progressively better. 

The pano roof is amazing and my toddler is amazed ha. Just running it in now, the 1.0 110ps is quite a responsive engine has all the power I'd need. All in all very happy. 

IMG-20180407-WA0013.jpg

IMG-20180407-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20180407-WA0008.jpg

IMG-20180407-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20180407-WA0010.jpg

IMG-20180407-WA0011.jpg

IMG-20180407-WA0014.jpg

IMG-20180407-WA0015.jpg

• Like 1

Very nice car.  

I've noticed in one of your pictures you have blanked out your name and I assume your address, why does the dealer need to publish who and where the car is going to live. ( if your address is displayed ) Seems odd. Every one now knows where a 18 plate MC lives.

As I said i will put a photo up of my Monte well i have finally got to it.... 

After 1500 miles i have averaged 49.4mpg driven with a sort of passion.... lol 

SlightlyQ

my car.jpg

Edited by SlightlyQ
  • Like 1

Thanks Skodaboy1983. Think the black and white work well together, this is after me swearing never to get another white car.....  Tbh I sat in the back of  the car the other day and it is amazing, especially on a sunny day. Air con set just and the sun on ur neck.... Lovely. 

SlightlyQ that Is very nice, shiny. The black on black works really well.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SkodaHZD said:

Thanks Skodaboy1983. Think the black and white work well together, this is after me swearing never to get another white car.....  Tbh I sat in the back of  the car the other day and it is amazing, especially on a sunny day. Air con set just and the sun on ur neck.... Lovely. 

SlightlyQ that Is very nice, shiny. The black on black works really well.

All I get from my wee lad is new car, new car, we have had it 3 months now, but putting it down that he realises we have a new car as this is my 4th car since he was born in 2014!

Think my next car will be either White or grey, as I am sick of Pacific Blue already as it shows up every mark!

Davy