Snapped Door Protector

Not even 4 weeks old and already i have a issue with my door protector the wife exited the car as normal closed the door to a thud noise opened door to find black door protector snapped off in two pieces. Looked like protector didnt retract in time anyone else had this issue.

received_1918934471450139.jpeg

Edited by Thurlby12

• 8 months later...

Ultimately, that will be my choice too if I cant get anywhere with them replacing it under warranty but it does leave a sour taste in the mouth. I think the reason for the cost is because the part has snapped beyond the clip on bit. Before they saw it, the dealer said that they just clip on and I think they would have fixed it had that been the case. It was only when they saw where it had snapped that they pushed back. I can see the part of the mechanism that is still in the car and that does not move when the door is closed which makes me think that the mechanism behind the protector is broken which definitely should be covered by warranty in my view?

• Like 1

Had the exact same problem with the wives Bear, luckily my dealer wasn’t having any of the Skoda try to get out of not designing this proberly nonsense.

3 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Given their only benefit is to protect other peoples cars, not your own, then if mine fall off they'll stay off.

£250+? Your dealers having a laugh.

+1

• Like 1

4 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Given their only benefit is to protect other peoples cars, not your own

Wait until someone opens one of your car doors against a wall (e.g. in the garage), then we’ll see if you stand by that statement.

• Like 3

These are utter rubbish. Day 1 my driver protector failed to retract fully. 3 months in the rest all failed to retract and scuffed the door. Been back to the dealer for adjustments. Still fail to work. P*** poor design and a waste of time. I have removed mine and forgotten about the ‘feature’. The only “simply stupid” feature of my Kodiaq unfortunately.

Edited by jasoncmiles
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, WiggosSideburns said:

Wait until someone opens one of your car doors against a wall (e.g. in the garage), then we’ll see if you stand by that statement.

Don't worry, I have young kids, only a schoolboy error would see me or the wife park anywhere near a wall.

A Kodiaq fitting in a garage, pull the other one :D

Seems the protectors are causing more damage than they're preventing. How ironic.

The Skoda marketing team have to reaffirm their 'Simply Clever' strap-line every so often. Stick to ice scrapers on the fuel filler flaps lads!

• Like 1

I've noticed the same. An adult or older child will close the door by grabbing the vertical black gloss trim adjacent to the glazed area, or the exterior door handle.

The door protector is about level with the head of my 5 year old, so he holds the door right where the door protector is located.

If his fingers slip then they knock into the protector which has on occasion caused it to retract and twang back out as his fingers slip past. He hasn't yet trapped his fingers in it though.

I once shut the drivers door whilst bending over to pick something up I'd dropped on the floor, so my hand was lower than it usually would be, and I was able to nip a finger between the retracting door protector and the edge of the door. This was my mistake though, but does prove it is possible to accidentally trap your fingers in them.

Hello. 

I have a 9 month old kodiaq - guess what the door protectors (2 of them - front passenger door and rear drivers side) have both broken off 2 days running. No change at all to how I “close the door” 

I have been to a dealership who have charged  me to replace them, as not covered by warranty due to “ incorrect handling or entrapment” (I think) I say I think as I wasnt allowed a copy of the document they printed off when asked the computer about the warranty as it was for the technicians only!

Utter rubbish. They say it isn’t a fault and all is well with the car but are unable to demonstrate to me or even tell me how it is possible that something I did caused it!

Not happy. Filed a complaint with skoda customer services.

How much did they charge you?

I wonder if they get wet prior to retracting, and it freezes overnight, they can stick - and break?

It rained quite hard last night, and then froze overnight, the doors on our Kodiaq had frozen shut. The door protectors worked OK though.

On 10/12/2018 at 12:21, silver1011 said:

IIf his fingers slip then they knock into the protector which has on occasion caused it to retract and twang back out as his fingers slip past. He hasn't yet trapped his fingers in it though.

Sounds like a plus to me, its a nightmare getting young kids to sit still to trim their nails :D

• Haha 1

I'd not thought of that potential consequence, if the edge protector breaks in such a way that it fails to retract properly, and is then caught in the shut-line as the door is closed, potentially damaging the bodywork, as it has on the Ford Focus thread above.

Car-Door-Edge-Protector-Strips.jpg.0d6f9887e734d9bb5524ac7c7815e4d1.jpg

skoda-kodiaq-door-edge-protector.thumb.jpg.c53b241b8bcb539dc2ac84c88e1e12a9.jpg

I remember these from one of my Dad's old cars :D

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.1010a80651a4b696d29873a160aa2b6c.jpg