Travelling with a Dog

I've got a 5  seat Kodiaq Edition (so no variable floor in the boot) and I'm about to get a dog for the first time ever. The dog is quite large (it's a hound from the pound, but a fair bit of Labrador and a bit of Great Dane, so think Lab with lanky legs) and I'm not sure if I need a dog guard or not. I always assumed that these were essential for carrying animals but now that I'm getting a dog I notice quite a lot of people don't bother with them. What do Kodiaq owners with dogs do?

The law as changed now all, all dogs need to be securely restrained and not be able to interfere with the driver while both driving and in a emergency, that is why you now see dog seat belts sold (for the back seats)I am getting a guard for the first time in my Karoq.

Worth it for the dogs safety as much as anything. 

I have used Travall dog guards in several cars now and can recommend them. 

Just a update, if they are not secured its a fine and points on your licence, all those dogs you see with the heads out of car windows the owners are taking a risk. I believe it became law in the last couple of years or so.

We always use a Foldable Crate for our Springador (Springer X Lab) - and he's the size of a labrador and our superb's boot is big enough, but we have to drop a seat due to the lean-back on the rear seats.  We're looking at one of the tailored ones for our newly ordered Superb mk3 as they tend to have angles on the ends to accomodate the seats and boot.

I would never let a dog loose around the car (especially not one that big!)  Seatbelts are good for smaller dogs, but for a larger one, a crate is much better.  You may need to measure twice and order once though or you may end up with no boot space at all! :cool:

Although, saying that, there are boot dividers, that would probably suit a larger pooch better, so you can still use 1/2 your cargo space.  They are about £200 i think

12 minutes ago, hwr1983 said:

We're looking at one of the tailored ones for our newly ordered Superb mk3 as they tend to have angles on the ends to accomodate the seats and boot.

We have one of these in our Superb II which just fits in behind the seats with them both up - utilising the angle.  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007VDPTUA/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_3p_dp_1

It's nothing special in terms of safety but it keeps him tidied away, and safe from bits moving about.  Ours is a CockerDor, but pretty much Labrador size height-wise.  He can sit up, just.

We have always used Dog guards in our vehicles. It stops them jumping all around in the car if left while in shop or whatever but I feel that in the event of any sudden braking etc, the dog can only travel about 1ft therefore reducing impact to the animal. I always remember the TV advert where a child not wearing any seatbelt came crashing though the front seats!!

I normally look for second hand and then sell it on when changing to save costs.

Had Travell for most of our cars, easy to fit without drilling etc.

As above, but on an Octavia estate. 

I would also advise fitting side and rear sunblinds (I have a OE or Vanstyle combination) after suffering a shattered rear screen. I was picking pieces of glass up for months afterwards.

They are also handy for minimising bug and debris Intrusion if you have the windows open. 

Who needs rear parking sensors* when you have Rear Gunner Hadley watching your back. 

*actually I do! 

20170819_131456.jpg

Edited by Guest
Otto collect strikes a gun!

11 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Or just go the whole hog!

Skoda-Yeti-B35-1024x683.thumb.jpg.77bb5fd78ac4f70b891f651a5321809b.jpg

http://www.transk9.com/select/

Don't you need the whole DOG *ba-bum* :)

My friend has a Discovery 4 and one of the single ones of those TransK9 Crates as they are crash tested...but it was over a grand!  And I can't justify that

• Like 1

On 08/03/2018 at 08:53, hwr1983 said:

Don't you need the whole DOG *ba-bum* :)

My friend has a Discovery 4 and one of the single ones of those TransK9 Crates as they are crash tested...but it was over a grand!  And I can't justify that

Considered one of them and they are nearly £600 delivered.  Bought a washable canvas seat protector from hellfrauds and a doggy belt from pets at home and Sadie the German Shepherd who thinks she’s a cute little lapdog sits on the back seats and babysits the kids :D

It's NOT the law but if you have a bump or are seen being distracted caused by a loose dog you could be prosecuted.

If you have a totally well behaved dog that sits on the passenger seat and never moves you are not committing any offence.

It does make sense though and mine are always securely fastened in.

No, but you could get a £2500 fine, 9 points on your licence, and resit your test for driving without due care and attention!!! And if you have accident and unrestrained animal traveling your insurance could refuse to pay out.

Edited by Karman

On 3/7/2018 at 11:21, Karman said:

The law as changed now all, all dogs need to be securely restrained and not be able to interfere with the driver while both driving and in a emergency, that is why you now see dog seat belts sold (for the back seats)I am getting a guard for the first time in my Karoq.

The law hasn't changed. I was just pointing that out.

I didn't say I did it or that it was a good idea just pointing out an inaccuracy.

You are right it’s not changed, it’s always been part of the Highway Code, rule 57, I think there was a clamp down on it by the police and RSPCA last year though which to be honest brought it to my attention, but we have always restrained our dogs with the seat belt and harness method.

Bought the Travall guard and it was delivered this morning, just in time for the trip to the rescue kennels to pick up Herman.  He survived the journey home and I'm very impressed with the quality of the Travall guard. Thanks all for your help and advice!

That’s great,  we have a rescue springer spaniel plus a little cocker both 2yrs old, they are a big part of us. I retire this year so we have purchased a Karoq so we can spend days and weekends away with them, so for the first time we are having a guard so they can lie in the boot. Enjoy your dog and Kodiaq.