Initial impressions - disappointed

I'm worried that over 20 years xmans superb + fuel + servicing + tyres + road tax + break downs + insurance etc  will cost more than 80,000 miles in taxis.  He doesn't seem overly keen on car ownership.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dg360 said:

I'm worried that over 20 years xmans superb + fuel + servicing + tyres + road tax + break downs + insurance etc  will cost more than 80,000 miles in taxis.  He doesn't seem overly keen on car ownership.

Worry not. 

I don't do break downs.

Or taxis.

55 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

xman, sorry if it is already posted but what tyre pressures did you set first and have you tried any adjustment up or down since?

Not checked them, that was the dealers job at pdi. Yes I know they might be wrong, but unlikely as the tyres have probably not been touched since build. Will get round to it eventually.

Slighty surprised at some of the very strong views being expressed. I was just giving a little feedback - chill - I don't want to criticise anyone, I am often guilty of enthusing about things when maybe really I am subconsciously only justifying my decision. :notme:

I suppose the intended message to others was, think very carefully about what is important to you and go for several meaningful test drives, more than once and over different cars. I dismissed other cars (Mercs, BMW, Audi, VW even Ford) because of old preconceptions of those marques and some idleness on my part. I'm stuck in a rut with Skoda because I have bought nothing but for the last 14 years, and "better the devil you know" attitude.

At least repair costs should be reasonable (compared to some other equivalents)

In the end I let my heart rule my head, and bought (and specced up too high) on impulse, maybe my biggest regret. Should have gone basic.

As I said before, give me some time to get used to it, and I'll try to be more objective. Maybe I'll grow to love it.....subconsciously ;)

• Like 1

I've had two Superbs over the last 8 years. Both came with woefully incorrect tyre pressures from new, and they were even different at every corner! Many Skoda dealerships can barely remember to remove the transport blocks from the suspension, let alone set the pressures correctly. :D  Get them checked when cold xman.

I'm running P7s on 19" and I'll be looking for something different when they expire. Road noise hasn't been a problem (most of it is from potholes anyway round here) but wet grip isn't great. Way too much understeer doing sharp left/right turns at relatively slow speed.

Slightly OT but when my wife's Fabia went in for a service they set the tyres to 22 PSI instead of 2.2 bar. Some muppet must have flipped the fuel cap to check the correct pressures, mis-read it and never though to themselves "22, seems a bit low. Better double-check that".

1 hour ago, xman said:

Not checked them, that was the dealers job at pdi. Yes I know they might be wrong, but unlikely as the tyres have probably not been touched since build. Will get round to it eventually.

Tyres are over inflated at the factory when the tyres are fitted and are left high for transportation. Setting them at the correct pressure is part of the PDI.

If they have not been touched since the build they will be high.

2 hours ago, xman said:

34psi all round

That's not too bad then. Try 38 psi all round, the eco setting. They'll be harder, naturally, but the lower rolling resistance should help them move a bit quieter, and be better on fuel. If all else fails drop to 32, the factory specified default. It'll use more fuel, but it can't hurt to try. Ideally you want a Michelin or similar on there as discussed previously. Anything bar a P7 really, they just don't suit the car imho.

• Like 1

Mine is as quiet as a mouse.

I can hear the tyres if I turn the radio off but it is only a slight whoosh and not a rumble. 

Also when it goes onto two cylinders nothing seems to change.

If I go out in this, it's a bit noisier 

Cold Start short.mp4

Edited by vfrvrs