Service Reset

The Service Now has appeared though it is only 10 months and 7000 miles since the last service. Car is 1.4 TSI.

Is this right. A manual reset doesn't appear to work. Is this a consequence of 'Variable Service Interval'?

3 minutes ago, iamian said:

The Service Now has appeared though it is only 10 months and 7000 miles since the last service. Car is 1.4 TSI.

Is this right. A manual reset doesn't appear to work. Is this a consequence of 'Variable Service Interval'?

Sounds like you've either "driven it like you stole it" most of the time or your car is on fixed interval (1 year or 10000 miles) servicing.

This servicing regime is a mystery to me also. My Roomster is on variable servicing and for the first and second service intervals it worked out at 9400 miles or 15 months between services. The last service was carried out November 2016 but I still have according to the computer 8400 miles or 156 days until the next service (which is a major one). I have only driven 8000 miles since November 2016 but I cannot wait until August as I feel it is too long to have the same oil in the sump.  Total mileage is now 27k

Edited by edbostan

7 minutes ago, iamian said:

Not sure what you're saying  - anyone on the 'Variable Service' programme cannot reset the service indicator? or is 'Variable Service' programme responsible for an unexpected pit-stop?

Can't answer the first I'm afraid but yes 'variable service' is just that - variable. There a sensor in your engine that measures the quality of the oil  (degregation sensor?). If it determines the oil needs changing then it will request an oil change or service. There is the possibility tho that the service intervals were changed at the previous service. Was your last service carried out by a Skoda or VW group garage?

10mth/7000miles does seem a bit soon but many things can affect the interval. If you do lots of short journeys / lot's of stop/start driving then the engine struggles to reach it's normal operating temp - that's a possible cause. How old was the car / at what mileage did it have it's first variable service? I'm assuming as the car is 2015 it's only had one previous service?

Thanks for the replies.

The car is 3.66 years' old and has done 50,068 miles, the first ~3 of which averaged about 15k but the most recent somewhat less. It hasn't been thrashed and gets a run of 250-300 miles at least once a month, a hoiday trip of 1000k  plus 20-30 mile trips 3 times a week. (We tend to use our Fabia for shopping; it does 4k per annum and is serviced annually.)

There is some possibility the service interval was changed at the last service (major service) in May 2017 but I also had an issue with a exhaust valve sensor last month. 

I'm surprised that the service seems to have come around so soon - all previous services have been before the warning - and a little infuriated that I cannot turn off the warning. 

I've budgeted to have it serviced in early May.       

If you look in the vehicle information-> options-> service interval menu in the Entertainment unit there should be a displays which gives you 2 timers; One for oïl change & one for inspection.

Which one of these says "now"?

If neither of these say "now" perhaps you have an error causing the request to take the car to the dealer?

I think it sounds like the dealer has changed the servicing interval at your last service.

If I am right, variable service means 30k km or 2 years & fixed service 15k km or 1 year.

However, the dealer is able to configure 2 timers:

- Time for Oil Change

- Time for Inspection

If you use the correct spec "long-life" oïl you can set the oïl service to 2years/30k km.

However, I found that my dealer always sets the "inspection time" to 365days.

So after each service it says:

- Time to Oil Change: 730 days

- Time to Inspection: 365 days

I drive ~40k km a year so always reach the service before year is up so it didnt bother me but I always mention it to the dealer just in case my work situation changes.

28 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

Do yours not set to 372 days,  1 year and a week? 

I will check tonight as it was serviced 4 weeks ago but I'm pretty sure it was 365 & 720 when I picked up the car.

Reason they were 372 days were for the PDI to handover and start of First Registration. Alowing time. 

So one year and a week.  All i have had are the same on fixed Servicing when resetting, Skoda, SEAT, VW and Audi.  Same when resetting Service Interval fixed.

The warning says "Service Now" with no mention of Oil Change or Inspection. The last invoice says long-life oil but makes no mention of whether the service is fixed or variable.   

I'm reckoning that waiting another 7 weeks will make no difference (it's more than 3 years' old); I'm just curious as to why I'm getting this this warning now and annoyed it keeps pinging at me. 

23 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

Reason they were 372 days were for the PDI to handover and start of First Registration. Alowing time. 

So one year and a week.  All i have had are the same on fixed Servicing when resetting, Skoda, SEAT, VW and Audi.  Same when resetting Service Interval fixed.

You are right, my service was 50 days ago & the timers are showing 322 & 687 days meaning the inspection was set at 372 after the service.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, iamian said:

The warning says "Service Now" with no mention of Oil Change or Inspection. The last invoice says long-life oil but makes no mention of whether the service is fixed or variable.   

I'm reckoning that waiting another 7 weeks will make no difference (it's more than 3 years' old); I'm just curious as to why I'm getting this this warning now and annoyed it keeps pinging at me. 

Did you check the service information in the entermtaint unit?

This will tell you whether its the oïl or inspection timer requesting the service...

It may not be either of these in which case its probably better to book it in a bit early rather than drive another 2 months with this warning.

May car has always given me several days notice (20 days?) and minimum 1000km reminder every day before the service is due.

It seems strange to suddenly say "service now" unless perhaps there is a real problem detected on the car.