Buying advice clutch etc...mileage

Hello,

Going to buy a 2003 octavia estate.....it says about 76,000 miles..... I've tried doing the gov mot history and it doesn't recognise the new reg plate.....the dealer has now told me it had a private reg on before......which it recognises but since since 2010 has been on a Suzuki ( the dealer is going to check the private reg as he may have given me the wrong one...said he wasn't in the office).

Is there anything I need to be aware of when buying ?  I currently have a sdi fabia estate.

One more thing I need to know is when roughly as a guide would you expect the clutch to be replace on a 1.9 tdi octavia. Reason I ask I see a lot for sale about 170,000 miles and I keep thinking the clutch will need doing soon....my fabia sdi was 165,000 when it was done.

Hope I get some help.....I haven't got much money to spend to I'm a bit nervous about what I buy.

thanks

jon

@Wuyang Well, FWIW my  52 plate1.9TDi is at 140_000 miles on the original clutch (touch wood). Of course, it did mostly motorways for the first 60_000, and since I bought it the main uses have been a 10 mile extra-urban commute and long A and M-way tags on holidays.

76_000/15 makes ~5_000 miles a year average, which suggests lots of town work, and Sheffield is built on the side of the Pennines isn't it?

Ah the age old question of clutch life - depends entirely on how the previous owner(s) treated it. One careful owner can extract well over 200k from a clutch, where as several not careful owners could go through multiple clutches. I would say that at 76k miles then it will probably need replacing anywhere between now and 120k.

I've had my car 6 years and driven nearly 110k in it and not had to replace the clutch.

It's really down to how the previous owner(s) treated it, so it could last till 150k miles+ or it could need doing soon.

On a 15 year old TDI Octavia I would be weary of paying a premium for one with low mileage. 76k of town miles is worse than 120k of motorway miles, all other factors being equal.

I recently purchased my mk1 with a 144k and had to have the clutch done. It may have been its first clutch or it could have been on its second or even third for all I know.  

When I was looking for prices to have it done, the estimates varied wildly so you won't have to pay dealer prices if you shop about a bit. 

I got mine done by a young fella who fixes taxies for a local firm .... I assumed he would have had plenty of practice at Octavia clutches. Lol. 

On 3/21/2018 at 15:27, Wuyang said:

Hello,

Going to buy a 2003 octavia estate.....it says about 76,000 miles..... I've tried doing the gov mot history and it doesn't recognise the new reg plate.....the dealer has now told me it had a private reg on before......which it recognises but since since 2010 has been on a Suzuki ( the dealer is going to check the private reg as he may have given me the wrong one...said he wasn't in the office).

Is there anything I need to be aware of when buying ?  I currently have a sdi fabia estate.

One more thing I need to know is when roughly as a guide would you expect the clutch to be replace on a 1.9 tdi octavia. Reason I ask I see a lot for sale about 170,000 miles and I keep thinking the clutch will need doing soon....my fabia sdi was 165,000 when it was done.

Hope I get some help.....I haven't got much money to spend to I'm a bit nervous about what I buy.

thanks

jon

With regards to the clutch take the car on a proper test drive get every thing up to temp if its worn or the fly wheel is vibrating it will become apparent when pulling away,A quick drive around the block will not show any faults, also when warm listen for the hamster wheel noise when you push the clutch in and out this is a sign of worn fly wheel,the dealer should give a warranty ! but beware of the cars to old ect. 

• 2 weeks later...

My 2003 tdi had the clutch and dmf done at 115,000, miles it is now on 211,000 miles ;  of course clutch wear  depends on how they are used, we do motorway miles, so I do not expect to replace the clutch for a while;

Mine had 188000 miles when the DMF shaking on start up caused the pressure plate drive straps to shear, the clutch lining was virtually unworn and but for the DMF would have done half a million miles.

I just wish that I knew then that solid flywheels were available, I replaced the clutch and the DMF with like for like and have since done another 150000 miles, clutch feels as good as new but there is the occasional DMF shake on start up so maybe its days are numbered.

I would be more concerned about the longevity of the DMF than the clutch, depends on the driver I suppose, I have replaced scores of clutches but never ever worn one out myself.