Cupra 280 vs Octavia 245

36 minutes ago, shyVRS245 said:

The main A50 from M1 junction 22 into Leicester starts with a 70mph dual carriageway then when you approach Markfield it suddenly drops to 40mph (used to be 50mph) and as well as FIXED speed cameras the GESTAPO mobile camera vans like to park in laybys waiting for unsuspecting visitors new to the area to pounce on, so I always set the cruise control to 40MPH, THEREFORE NO POINTS ON THE LICENCE.

It’s a road I drive regularly I know exactly where it was as I overtook two cars to come off at the next junction. Bare in mind it’s central London on the A40 heading out of London from Euston road so I was just not paying attention. Oh well we live and learn. Lol 

31 minutes ago, Madmax889 said:

It’s a road I drive regularly I know exactly where it was as I overtook two cars to come off at the next junction. Bare in mind it’s central London on the A40 heading out of London from Euston road so I was just not paying attention. Oh well we live and learn. Lol 

Suffered similar brain fart moment one time in the centre of Leicester when passing a fixed camera I knew very well completely forgot about it a BANG got nailed doing 36MPH in a 30mph limit. Embarrassingly driving a Superb 140bhp diesel at the time. It was a few years ago when it was all about getting 60mpg most of the time. VERY BORING when I look back now!:blush:

• Like 1

Having been in the market for either an Octy vRS or a ST Cupra and test driven both of them, having talked with several friends/owners that own both and been into their cars and compared both against my MK7 Golf I can say that I would easily jump in either of them if I needed the extra space, without worrying that i am getting into a lower quality car be it the SEAT or the Skoda. If I wanted to be honest ( i really laugh hard when someone, in 2018,  claims VW's are so much better put together than SEATs...)  I'd say there is little difference between the VW and those two and even less between the Skoda and the SEAT in particular. The Leon's interior is probably the least exciting but I would not put that down to lesser materials at all bur rather down to design and colors/textures (the main column with the a/c vents and screen just looks old in my eyes). The Octavia is not winning any awards either but I guess it does not bother pretending anything so it gets away more easily.

For my needs though the 245 and the lower variant of the EA888 gen3 didn't do it in the end in terms of performance. It is hardly about those 5 tenths in the 0-60 run, who bothers with drag races in a FWD anyway? It's the in-gear acceleration where you appreciate the extra oomph, and in say a 40-80 or 60-100mph run (Autobahn use exclusively obviously) there would be a few  whole seconds between them. Which allows the original question to be rephrased to: For a *just* slightly nicer (actually not nicer, but less old looking) interior, would I be prepared to sacrifice the extra performance? Let's also not forget that the Cupra is now available as AWD and that its engine comes close to the 400bhp mark with a mere tuning box/remap and a few bolt-ons and allows it to embarrass way more impressive stuff on the road.

I'd love to see an Octy with the Cupra/R engine as I don't need the extra space and weight of a Superb but we all know that won't be happening.

Edited by newbie69

• 3 years later...
1 hour ago, e-Roottoot said:

@DC04R Is that SEAT Leon Cupra's of the same age as Mk3 Octavia,

or Cupras in general now when not with SEAT before their name?

I mean I have a 3.5 octavia vrs 2017 and was considering a 2018/2019 Leon Cupra 290/300

• Thanks 1