1.5 TSI Abnormal Engine Noise

vadimo

To me this doesn't sound right, recorded outside of the car with bonnet closed, car had good run, hot and so far done 1.6k miles

Clip, very rattly sound https://clyp.it/snxajtgd

Your thoughts? Think i might get it booked in.

Overall i was expecting smoother quieter engine, this sounds like diesel engine 

Not had chance to really check out the Karoq engine yet but I have a 2.0 tsi in my Golf which is very tappy, sounds like a bag of spanners but is supposedly normal so I'm guessing the 1.5 is similar.

Sounds like  the normal noise from the high pressure fuel pump and injectors  on any other direct injection petrol engine I’ve heard.

10 hours ago, vadimo said:

To me this doesn't sound right, recorded outside of the car with bonnet closed, car had good run, hot and so far done 1.6k miles

That's normal its the High pressure of the fuel system my 1.2 TSI engine sounds the same

My 1.5 sounds the same with the lid open. As above, it's a consequence of direct-injection at high-pressure plus the thin oil used nowadays to reduce friction and increase economy. My 2.0 TSI Octavia sounds identical as well. 

Glad my TT 2.0 TFSI doesn't sound like that!

I thought the 1.5 TSI was supposed to be a smooth and quiet unit? Was one of the things I was looking forward to when I move away from diesel. Not that I find the diesel in the Yeti particularly noisy and I like it a lot.

22 minutes ago, VAGCF said:

Glad my TT 2.0 TFSI doesn't sound like that!

I thought the 1.5 TSI was supposed to be a smooth and quiet unit? Was one of the things I was looking forward to when I move away from diesel. Not that I find the diesel in the Yeti particularly noisy and I like it a lot.

It is smooth and quiet (and perhaps a bit dull) - just don't drive around with the bonnet open.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, TheRoq said:

Maybe some bonnet insulation would help keep the noise in?
http://s.aliexpress.com/QvEzyIZ7

Oh dear - does this mean the 1.5tsi Karoq doesn't have underbonnet insulation?

With the bonnet up and stood outside on my previous gen 1.4tsi Superb you can hear the direct injection. With the bonnet(insulated)  down it's quiet and inside the car with the doors shut it's silent.

Edited by bigjohn

For those who cant read, my post says: recorded outside of the car with bonnet closed!

There is nothing smooth and quiet about 1.5 TSI.

Inside the car of course it's very well insulated.

4 hours ago, vadimo said:

For those who cant read, my post says: recorded outside of the car with bonnet closed!

Just re-listened to mine. You can hear it ticking-over from the outside with the bonnet closed but it does not sound as pronounced as your's unless I lift the lid. Perhaps I have more ambient/background noise than you to mask it. My car does have (standard) under-bonnet insulation, although it only covers two-thirds of the bonnet.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vadimo said:

When I test drove the Karoq 1.5tsi it was generally very quiet but not as quiet as my Superb. Hardly anything in it bumbling along low speed roads although you can hear the engine at tickover in the Karoq (still quiet though). There was a bit of wind flutter as the speed picked up on the one I was driving as well.

I never lifted the bonnet!

Edited by bigjohn

On 4/1/2018 at 22:06, vadimo said:

As a comparison this is the 2.0tdi

2.0 tdi.m4a

11 hours ago, vadimo said:

For those who cant read, my post says

How do your expect them to read your clarification post? 

7 minutes ago, Fin69 said:

How do your expect them to read your clarification post? 

with eyes and Google translate if English language is a barrier?

1 hour ago, OldKaroq said:

I found this, if its of any use? 1.5TSI. Unknown car though. Golf? Sounds similar, but a little quieter maybe?

They sound the same one with bonnet closed and one open

21 hours ago, bigjohn said:

Oh dear - does this mean the 1.5tsi Karoq doesn't have underbonnet insulation?

With the bonnet up and stood outside on my previous gen 1.4tsi Superb you can hear the direct injection. With the bonnet(insulated)  down it's quiet and inside the car with the doors shut it's silent.

Under bonnet insulation  Probably only on Diesel 

• Like 1

My 1.5TSI (standard SE-Tech) has bonnet insulation and sounds noticeably quieter with the lid closed. The insulation only covers the middle two-thirds of the bonnect, but it seems reasonable thick.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Orville said:

My 1.5TSI (standard SE-Tech) has bonnet insulation and sounds noticeably quieter with the lid closed. The insulation only covers the middle two-thirds of the bonnect, but it seems reasonable thick.

It was the 1.5tsi SE-Tech I was eyeing up as I don't want a PCP (Although it seems possible to take out PCP and immediately settle).

Can I ask how has your engine settled in ownership? The one I drove seemed a bit hesitant when I hit the go pedal - although it had very few miles on it.