1.5 TSI Abnormal Engine Noise

vadimo

28 minutes ago, SkinflintJohn said:

Settle in two weeks and no interest charged I was told.  You still got the 2 free services and I got 1500 skoda contribution so worth the extra paperwork.

My dealer said the dealership gets a phone call from Skoda UK, and they claim back money from the dealer. This is if its cancelled immediately, but not after a number of months. The interest payments for a few months would still be much smaller than the combined cost of 2 services (279) plus Skoda deposit contribution of £1500 (ordered before 3rd April) = £1779.

I note Between 3rd April to early July the deposit contribution reduces to £600 if ordered with the 1.5TSI engine, and £1250 for the other engines.

Edited by OldKaroq

1 hour ago, bigjohn said:

It was the 1.5tsi SE-Tech I was eyeing up as I don't want a PCP (Although it seems possible to take out PCP and immediately settle).

Can I ask how has your engine settled in ownership? The one I drove seemed a bit hesitant when I hit the go pedal - although it had very few miles on it.

My car has only covered 450 miles but already seems to be loosening-up. It feels a little smoother and pokier already, but I cannot say the nose has changed. To my ears the engine is extremely quiet from the inside but a little dull sounding when pushed.

I have never subscribed to wearing a car in for the first thousand miles - I just drive it normally, and if I need to take it to the redline (for safe overtakes or pulling on to motorways) I will.

• Like 1

A mate of mine says he had the same problem with a new 1.5 Tsi Karoq.  All HE did was bunjee an old mattress to the bonnet and it sounds great now.  Somebody else I know simply squirted a load of that builders expanding foam all over the inside of the bonnet.  Another lad just wears ear plugs all the time.

Just saying like...

But seriously....

I had a 1.8 Tsi petrol Octavia which sounded like a (quiet) diesel and it only had 22k on the clock.  The guru head (master tech?) Skoda big cheese at my local dealer told me it was 'quiet compared to some I've heard' and that all Tsi engines are noisy.  I was told it was nothing to worry about.  I never had any trouble with that car. Maybe you could listen to another 1.5 Tsi and check to see if it is as loud?  I pick my 1.5 Tsi Karoq up on Saturday - so I'll be listening - but I can't say any of the other Tsi's I've listened to thus far seemed excessively noisy but its an individual thing and very subjective.

Despite assurances that there is nothing wrong with the engine, the rattle may be a characteristic of the car that you will never get used to, in that case part company as soon as is practical and find a car with an engine that you can live with.  Life is too short for us to be irritated by the things that we have the power to change.  Good luck.

IF YOU ARE AFFECTED BY ANY OF THE ISSUES CONTAINED WITHIN THIS PUBLICATION THEN PLEASE GET IN TOUCH WITH YOUR LOCAL SAMARITANS

On 03/04/2018 at 07:07, vadimo said:

For those who cant read, my post says: recorded outside of the car with bonnet closed!

There is nothing smooth and quiet about 1.5 TSI.

Inside the car of course it's very well insulated.

The 1.5 is very smooth and quiet but I don't tend to be outside when the engine is running. I think when people use the word smooth they don't refer to the noise anyway. Modern petrol engines are a little noisier on the outside because of the hp injectors but NVH tends to be far better anyway so all good overall.

• 1 year later...