paint clear coat peeling or flaking off ?

Dealer  says these are stone chips ,  but  they  seem to be appearing even with a stone chip  cover on the bonnet 

the clear coat seems to be peeling / flaking off ? 

has any one seen this before ?    2.5 year old car.  

regards and thanks 

56-1.jpg

59-1.jpg

108-1.jpg

113-1.jpg

Was that a drug dealer?   If it was a qualifted warranty manager they know what to do.   get the photos and arrange the inspection for the warranty.   Cut out the middle man,  get your pictures off to skoda UK customer services. 

Edited by AwaoffSki

Fully agree with AwaoffSki. That's bad clearcoat or bad prep at the factory of moisture in the robot guns that sprayed it. It's definitely NOT stone chips! It may also be the clearcoat has been applied too thin leaving it vulnerable to peeling off with the slightest touch. They can test for that too but they will need a factory rep to do that most likely as if the bodyshop does the test Skoda won't believe them.

You do not have to force them.

If you were at a Dealership and the person you spoke with and looked at the car was not the Dealer Principal call the Dealer Principal, 

tell the story, say you have a Paint Warranty Issue and wish to start a Warranty Claim.

You have already wasted time so can they ensure you are not going to waste more other than call in again, have them inspect it and then request Skoda Ireland to deal as they wish with the claim.

Or cut out the Dealership, Email those pictures this afternoon to SKODA Ireland.   Tell them your story.

They know what to do.

http://skoda.ie/owners/body-and-paint 

Hotline number foot of the page.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

If the car was owned by the dealer you spoke with,rest assured he/she wouldn't put up with it. Why do they treat customers like idiots?

Edited by RickW

@dadumtishCould that be a re-work job done before delivery ? Or what @Estate Man says. 

It looks like it's all over the car ??

Is your dealer Spirit in Sandyford?  If so, I'd suggest getting Simon Barrett on board as well - he's head of sales in the Skoda showroom. He helped a family member big-time with a problem VAG car, not a Skoda, some years ago. The service people in Spirit Foster (service) will try to fob you off, like @AwaoffSki says.  

Also, if you need a third-party opinion to back you up - try Alan Mears in Bray (http://www.alanmearsservices.ie/) - he does excellent work. Difficult to get a really good bodywork and paint-matching people around here - and this guy knows his beans - I've seen his work matching metallics ! 

Wish you well with it all.

Keep us posted how you get on. 

Edited by Dithane
  • Like 2

If the Experts that Skoda commission for the paint testing & report shows that is the Factory Finish there is no requirement to accept a Respray to Factory Standard without this faults.

Skoda Ireland will need to replace the car if you want that.   If there is going to be a complete stripped back and prepared repaint by professionals with excelent standards that would be great. 

Not just selected panels though. No telling which not yet showing the fault will soon enough.

First the Warranty Claim needs to be made.

?

Is there any risk of Environmental damage where you park / keep the car?

• Like 1

the car has these patches on the bonnet ,  side of front wheel arch,  rear near petrol cap  / rear door area  

ive had it since new -  its on a pcp  2.5 years old . 

it is parked in  in front drive on a medium busy street beside the wifes audi  and the neighbours ford,  both have no issues like mine 

and its parked in work in basement car park .

so no dodgy environment around it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dithane said:

@dadumtishCould that be a re-work job done before delivery ? Or what @Estate Man says. 

It looks like it's all over the car ??

Is your dealer Spirit in Sandyford?  If so, I'd suggest getting Simon Barrett on board as well - he's head of sales in the Skoda showroom. He helped a family member big-time with a problem Audi some years ago. The service people in Spirit Foster (service) will try to fob you off, like @AwaoffSki says.  

Also, if you need a third-party opinion to back you up - try Alan Mears in Bray (http://www.alanmearsservices.ie/) - he does excellent work. Difficult to get a really good bodywork and paint-matching people around here - and this guy knows his beans - I've seen his work matching metallics ! 

Wish you well with it all.

Keep us posted how you get on. 

thanks for the advice -  have done this today -   been so busy the last year  i just assumed they knew what they were talking about re stone chips and carried on   ,  but i put a bonnet cover on it while driving and it still got worse  .   its obviously not stone chips -  its dodgy paint .  

12 hours ago, Dithane said:

• Like 1

thanks,    but they said it would have been a tiny chip that grew due to weathering ,    I thought that made sense at the time , but  i had  a 14 year old audi that had no issues ,  and  wifes audi has no issues ,  driving the exact same roads.        i note there was a similar issue with toyota yaris  ,  so it looks like a paint problem  .  

• Like 1

Just take previous advice and ignore lame timewasting excuses that are designed to make you go away and shut up.

They obviously  believe you are gullable and laugh at you as you leave the premises.

Teach them a hard lesson in customer care.

• Like 1

yeah ,  i hear you  I think the issue is i went to the service center ,  not the retailer (  thought they were same thing )  

so  have done so now.

may have to get an indy check it though .

• Like 1

Just go to the dealer on a Sat and start complaining, if they don't do anything keep raising your voice using phrases like 'you sold me a duff car' etc, refuse when they want to 'move' you into a private room and keep going until they relent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

what can happen is the chemicals have not mixed right when industrial spraying / laquering. 1 of the components if 2 part mix will run out so wont mix, or wrong drying time or some other factory Quality Control issue & it wont be on every panel on every car, Just on some  for a short while when the fault has occured, until someone realises there mistake, another shift etc...but the parts have left the factory... etc... no need for recall, or plant to shut down.

Dealers hide away from 1  in 1000 anomaly issues and bad luck to get one. Ie no one else has this issue, never heard of that one before, blah blah..

Keep pushing them

Edited by Kobayashi
  • Like 2

The onus is upon them to prove its not a factory fault but if they think you are a soft touch they'll keep you dangling until you quietly go away.

• Like 2