paint clear coat peeling or flaking off ?

21 minutes ago, SlightlyQ said:

Hi

Ok, no worries probably a paint flaw at manufacture point, sorry, was just thinking out loud as it were... 

SlightlyQ

Yep - that’s what it seems to be, ok. 

:thumbup:

If it is a paint expert they need to be measuring the paint and taking samples.

Be sure to be getting a copy of their report, and ask  their qualifications. If an Expert is doing a report that would not necessarily mean it is a Spray Painter.

Stone Chips have nothing to do with it.

That is from me a Spray Painter qualified in Industrial and Vehicle Spraying, but not a 'Paint Expert' even though time served & experienced in applying many types of paint and coating to specifications and testing them and others applications of paints and various coating types.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 2

The dealer examined the car with  their body paint  guy yesterday ,  they said they see the damage as caused by stones , BUT they looked at other same models and see that the stones only leave a small chip mark -  on metallic paints.

mine is flat colour -  and the ' stones'  seem to bring about a peeling of the top coat that they do not see on metallics.

I don't agree on this , but it seems they do see a problem.

so they said they took photos  and are taking it up with skoda themselves for advice on it.

i will bring it for my own assessement anyway.

i advised skoda  themselves of this exam  , and also  i advised that the PCP is up in a few months 

and  I will hand it back to them to keep if its not fixed.

what worrys me is if they  fix it - does this mean a strip and repray of the whole car ? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If on PCP be very careful what is the accepted outcome & have a good read of this. Its VW Fair Wear & Tear.

Peeling Paint is not mentioned - this would come under manufacturing fault.

Excessive stone chips would be liable as customer responsibility. 

When we Voluntarily Terminated (VT) our Citigo it was treated to full wash, luckily no scratches. Vacuum it inside & out. Took plenty of Photo's before handing it back to dealership.  

If PCP VW finance? so it will fall under this guide. If trading for another car dealership might be 'more lenient' to you maybe, tell you its ok etc... 

But ultimately someone from VW finance will try bill you further down the line, once the car fails the inspection.....

VW_Fair_Wear_Tear_Guide_v3_Page_10.thumb.png.5c9386a806bf16fcb433cf6ed94ea687.png

VW_Fair_Wear_Tear_Guide_v3.pdf

• Like 3

'Their Body Paint Guy', 

So a Panel beater / Sprayer,  Qualified or not,  but not a Paint Expert / Warranty Manager, or the Independent Experts as Skoda UK use. 

It might be the RoI, but it is a Manufacturers Paint Warranty, and Skoda Ireland will need to get a 'Paint Expert' to test the paint.

Cars all over the place have 'Stone Chips', but not the Top Coat peeling.    

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 4

PS.

Do not spend a single Euro on getting a report done on the car, or getting any work done.

The Paint Warranty covers it unless you caused the damage, or some vandal did,  it is a Factory Prep and paint failing.

Stevie Wonder can tell that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I really feel for the OP here. There is no way in my opinion that a clear coat peeling in that way is 'normal'.

If stone chips (and ALL cars get them) cause paint on solid colours to react but not on metallic colours, it would be fair to assume there will be thousands of Skodas ( solid paint) running around with this problem. 

It looks a pretty lame excuse to me.

The downside of a PCP is that in a case like this it's not possible to hand the car back and walk away and the owner may well be landed with a bill for the cost of a full respray should they do so.

It seems the OP is between a rock and a hard place here. One solution, if all else fails with the Skoda negotiations is, take the car to a reputable body shop and see if the clear coat can be repaired. Sometimes it is possible to spray a part panel to an edge or fold line at reasonable cost.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Fully agree with Horkin (Hi mate!). I think a factory rep should look at the car, as Offski is saying. Just the clearcoat can be replaced if required, that's not a problem but for a proper job each panel that is affected should be resprayed. Some workshops do a fantastic job of airbrushing in just small areas but it's best imho to do the panel complete as it doesn't actually cost that much to do.

• Like 2

Unless the person 'Inspecting the car' for the hand back started that day with no Training or Experience they will have seen dozens, hundreds or even thousands of used vehicles.

They know wear and tear, abused vehicles and faulty manufacturing. 

Report the cars condition now to The Owner'  They can contact Skoda Ireland on their vehicles faulty finish.

They have spent out on it and before it goes to Auction they need Skoda to honour the Paint Warranty. At least to have it Inspected and a Report carried out.

For what it's worth, my parents had a Superb in Pacific Blue, it had a small stone chip on the bonnet but it never peeled like this. The car was never garaged, it was rarely washed, and the paintwork was in great condition when it went back to Skoda. I have a couple of stone chips on my Corrida Red Fabia (including one that's actually dented the A-pillar, which I'm really annoyed about) but the paint hasn't peeled at all. 

I cannot see how this is caused by anything apart from poor paint quality. I can see a stone chip being the initial problem, but the clear coat should not start peeling off like this. 

I did see a Sharan though the other day with pretty badly peeling clear coat, I think in the VW flat Urano Grey. It was a current shape car, I think around a 2012 model though. It was peeling down from the rubber window seals, so it was clearly either a manufacturing defect, or it had been badly resprayed after an accident. 

• Like 2

I hand wash  / hand dry  and really look after this car service wise   - never use machine washers  .

and i picked the car expecting a reliable trustworthy one after looking at many makes.

to be honest i always thought the paint seemed a bit thin on this car  , once i got it 

you can feel it give if you push your nail on it .

it certainly has not got the diamond hardness of an audi or  a ford

if they say this is norma/  or my fault and wont fix it .

they can do what they like  but they wont get a final  ballon payment out of me when its up .

i will drop it to the dealer with the keys and walk away .

I am not paying a final lump sum  to own a 3 year old disintegrating  car,  and will take it to every  car journo and website / forum etc if they decide that .

Edited by dadumtish

Skoda have told the dealer  Spirit Skoda Sandyford -  that it is stone chips and they do not cover it under warranty.

this is utter rubbish and anyone can see this is paint failure.

So Skoda can basically sell you a car on a 3 year pcp,  and you end up with an inferior car  that loses its value beyond what it should due to its ability to disintegrate  over the pcp period .

thanks Skoda ,  and thanks especially to Spirit sandyford for selling me this  piece of junk  - 

next stop - independent paint expert and a solicitor .

and the journos / SM 

The laquer has not bonded correctly to the paint. 

If a few small areas's could be temp fixed by wet dry sand paper, blend in spray can (exact match) then clear laquer.

Metallic is easier to do than satin finish, Difficult to do in so many places and now they know there is an issue they will be looking for it.

Shame you have to go down the expert route, it seems with most Quality issues these days, you have to prove yourself beyond doubt and terrible customer service by sales & technical staff who merry go round the car dealerships. 

Seperate issue but this has happened on Chrome Wheel Gigaro's. 

• Like 1

dadumtish, 

who did Skoda have carry out the cars inspection and do the report, and do you have a copy of the report?

Have you contacted the owners of the car that will be receiving it back to go to auction, or maybe it already has new owners as some leased cars are already sold when first financed by a lease company before you even get them.

They will be the ones that can have Skoda hand over the Report on the paint testing, and why they are not going to rectify paint faults.

Edited by Offski

not sure what you mean by owners of the car for auction ?  do you mean  the VAG bank that financed it ? 

skoda dealer had their local body contractor examine it ,  they verbally told me they think it has an issue and asked skoda to comment -  skoda said its stone chip and tough luck

Edited by dadumtish

If that is who owns it then yes.

It is not your car if you are returning it, and that is not 'wear and tear' or you not having Stone Chips repaired, that is pealing top coat.

There has to be a written report that a Skoda Warranty Manager received and then made a decision on, 

Verbal statements are not worth the paper they are not written on.

Edited by Offski
  • Like 2

dealer has come back to offer a 3 way split on cost of stripping and touching up and re clear coatiing the affected panels
and a car to keep me going til done.

under a grand spilt 3 ways    me , the dealer and skoda

Cheeky Barstewards.

Why would you or the dealer do that?

It is a Paint Warranty claim,  Skoda's Paint Warranty, they pay 100% and provide a Courtesy car and cover all expenses. 

Let VWFS have there faulty paintwork car back as it is when you are finished with it,.  Skoda / VWFS can pay then to have the faulty paint rectified.

Here is the same kind on nonsense. From a Dealer / Skoda.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/448222-matched-contribution-goodwill-scam-dont-fall-for-it 

Edited by Offski