Stolen keys - 6 week wait for new key set - HELP

hi - This is ny first post and I hope someone can help.

So 10 days ago my house was burgled and the octavia stolen with one of the keys.

So its been recovered and I have it back now as I have a spare key I can drive it and lock it.

I cant park it anywhere near my house because the stolen key is still out there and they know where I live (thieves appear to have been local)

So probably not going forward with insurance claim for many reasons and trying to get a secure car parked outside my house as soon as practically possible.

The full key and barrel set from skoda is ddefinately my preferred option - get the old keys taken off the ECU and 2 new ones put on.

Blade skoda in bristol quoted £191 for the set - Great - order - only to be told that they are a 6 week back order!!

Now I need this car everyday for my work and am self employed and cant park this at my friends house 2 miles away every day and night for 6 weeks!

So I am looking at a second hand ecu barrel and key set from Germany for the correct octavia so its a direct swap.

The question is then do i get the new(used) ecu recoded to my car - and where do i get that done and how much is that - and then I have 2 keys and matching barrels and ignition

OR

I am reading about swapping immobilser/key EEPROMs from the new(used) ECU circuit board (by de-soldering it from one ecu and re-soldering it to the other) to my (original) ECU so that I can then have the new(used) door barrel and ignition barrel and 2 keys working wih my original ECU which will then make the stolen key worthless.

I have read a few posts and watched a few youtube videos of people doing this BUT they are all for pre 2010 VW/AUDI not 2010 onward which mine is

Has anyone any thoughts on doing this to my era octavia?

I have the necessary electronic engineering skills its just whether this actually would work if done properly.

I am really only trying to short circuit this stupid 6 week  back order rather than saving money but there is a cost saving as well.

If the key and barrel set from skoda was available within 10 to 14 days I would go with that ... but 6 weeks ... really?

Any thoughts - help or even someone that has done this would be of great help.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Hi Beachy - Thanks but not sure which crook lock would let me sleep peacefully once you start to look at the number of these that are easily broken by an average car thief.

Edited by markenhancer

In the short term get the spare you have recoded, that will knock the other key out, yes they will be able to open the car with the blade but they will not be able to start it & drive it away.

Hi Cryonut - Yes I have been pondering temporary options - and thats one that I hadnt thought of. Do you know if the stolen key can be removed through a generic vcds? which I can borrow - trying to not pay twice for the recoding of keys (once now to remove and then again once the lock set arrives) but thank you ... another option to think about.

10 hours ago, Dubbsley said:

In the short term get the spare you have recoded, that will knock the other key out, yes they will be able to open the car with the blade but they will not be able to start it & drive it away.

Thanks Dubbsley - didnt see this last night. It is one of the temporary options that I have considered. Still trying to work out the best and least expensive options.

1 hour ago, Cryonut said:

Yes, VCDS will remove and recode the keys, link below to Rosstech 

http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/vw-remote-matching.html

VCDS can be used to do remote matching, this will stop the buttons on the key unlocking/locking the car. It will not be able to stop they key blade unlocking the car. Nor can it remove the key from the immobiliser.

In short, they will still be able to open and start the car without any issues.

You need to find an auto locksmith to remove the missing key from the immobiliser. This should at least stop them being able to start the car and drive it off.

It depends on how much more important cost is vs. time.

The easiest and cheapest option would be using your insurance as they'd put you in a hire car until the keys turn up.

You mentioned you'd prefer not to use your insurance so the next best option in my opinion is the one suggested earlier, buy a decent quality all-encompasing steering lock, put the car back on your drive and wait for the new keys and barrel to arrive.

Nothing will stop a determined thief. If they really wanted your car they'd still have it, or if they want it back they'll break into your house and demand the key for the steering lock. The harder you make it the more determined they'll be.

Second hand keys, barrels, importing from Germany and trying to recode everything yourself will likely end up taking just as long and be more stressful.

Good luck whichever direction you take!

A good way as per my thought is to leave the car parked in a safe place away your house (with the ability to observe it remotely via a GPS tracker for example) and thus will leave a distance of time passing away, our else if they end up being determined they can also engage a GPS tracker of theirs and locate it in a place you will not even fancy away and do what they would want to do.....sorry I may push your mind into trouble and not sleep at nights but in that period you can hire a cheep car to do your job in the meantime...

Who knows....in any case of their return (or passing by your road) in the next couple of days and they will not see the car there, they may then let it go...