Variable service - question

Now then,

When I took delivery of my Spaceback I requested the variable service option, rather than fixed. I've had it for ten months (from new), and it has just passed 16000 miles. i expect to do about 18000 per year. 

My question is, will I get a notification on the dash when its due for its first service?

On previous cars set to fixed service intervals I've received these at set mileage targets, 10000 etc. 

Thanks

matt

Now then,

Yes, at service time my wife's 2014 model shows a warning on the dash cluster display when you turn the ignition on. I know the newer ones have a different display, but I can't imagine it being different.

You can also go into the vehicle settings and see how many days / miles left - not sure how that works (if at all) on variable servicing.

HTH

1 hour ago, mattshaw said:

My question is, will I get a notification on the dash when its due for its first service?

Yes it will warn you when you get close to the time, in miles left of time (days) You can change the service options in the MFD, I did mine but it still threw up I needed the oil changing at a set time???

On a similar vein I would most likely have the annual service/oil change, one owner has reported turbo failure, could possibly be due to keeping the oil in there too long.

I've only done just over 16k miles in 4 years but have already had 3 oil changes but I like to keep them well lubricated. :D

Matt,  it was my gently driven 1.2 that bust its turbo at around 26000 on variable, and though I was doing about 15000 a year I am convinced the long oil change interval was a major factor.

Get it serviced now, and then change to 10000miles/12 months standard interval.

The variable servicing warning is set at 30000km (18641) or around 700 days and unless you thrash it it stays there - the warning comes up about 1000 miles early when it's due.

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 2

Oil is the lifeblood of an engine, never let it go low, never leave it in too long. A regular change of oil is one of the best investments in the longevity of the engine that can be made. My car has the 1.0 3 cylinder engine, currently 14,660 miles, just booked it in for second service including oil change for early June, by then the car will have driven around 17,500 - 18,000 miles. Oil does deteriorate with age, it absorbs moisture and reduces engine protection, 12 months / 10-12,000 miles max, I know some say long life oil is OK to use, it's a user chooser situation, and my money is on regular oil changes.

• Like 2

http://volkswagen.co.uk/owners/servicing/regimes 

VW Group Main Dealers do not use different oils for Fixed or Variable Servicing.

They use VW504 / 507 Full Synthetic Long Life if doing fixed or flexible / variable servicing. 

(VW 502 00 can be used on a TSI for Fixed Servicing.)

VW 504 & 507  is 5w 30 FS LL

VW 502 00 is 5w 40 FS mainly,  but others are available.       From Asda 5w 40 FS to VW502 00 is perfectly good, proper oil....

Now on new Euro 6.5 VW Group cars they will be going to VW508 / 509 for the Real World Tested cars.  0w 20 FS Long Life.

Expensive stuff,  to get VW Group low emissions and acceptable fuel consumption test results...

Edited by Offski

1 hour ago, abaxas said:

Does anyone actually know which regime is better for the engine as they use different oil?

See above.

Long life service (on car with correct QI6 option code) = blown turbo at 26000.

I'm not doing variable servicing again.

Your old Polo did not self medicate, you or a technician added the oil.

You could have used the Long Life oil if you chose to,  but not all VW Group engines had a Variable Servicing code before 2011.

(UpMiiCitigo might still not have a Flexible Servicing code now.

(Diesel engines being different, they need what they need, type, DPF etc.)

But no need to use 'Long Life' oil when you do Fixed 9,400 mile / 372 day or less oil and filter changes.

VW502 00 spec is fine with a TSI,  even preferable.  In some peoples opinion / experience.

If you love your engine and that turbo maybe give it a treat and forget Long Life oil,  the recommended choice of Manufacturers for FLEET / LEASE & their profits.

2BF10CEC-7163-4D30-9508-5C87100F7EAF.png.05b386b44ccdb64674884e0b2f963123.png

Edited by Offski

Many people know.

Main Dealership Service Desk staff maybe not,  and the manufacturers are not that helpful in helping owners to know.

This was handy for older engines as there were Typos in Owners Manuals on oil capacity.

59fc1f3e14a29_SkodaFabiaengineoilcapacities.PNG.a7f691f357f02cfe9ea07e59c3b0eff3.PNG

Edited by Offski

1 hour ago, abaxas said:

Just our old polo used different oil depdning on service type.

We changed over as it was doing more dual/motorway miles instead of just round town.

The 1.2 that blew up was never in town, did a 60 mile round trip to work nearly every day. 

Turbo motors and old oil is a bad combo.

Long service life was something introduced for fleets back in 1970s or 1980s (in days when people were allocated a rep-mobile rather than chose the car

It saved money on servicing, and they got away with it when there used to be hand backs at 40k - 60k miles.  The problems started at higher mileages

Todays turbo engines are a lot more stressed, 1 litre engines are producing more power than the 2 litre engines of 1970s.  They can only do this by being made to tighter tolerances, and as such, are less able to cope with dirty oil.

It is in the manufactures interest to make the car last just long enough, so you buy another, but not too long as their lifeblood is selling new cars.  In some countries regular oil changes are the norm, but cars then go onto 200k miles.  If you plan to keep the car change oil frequently.  

Relying on a trip computer, or a calendar should be seen as a back stop reminder, look at the oil on the dipstick, is it correct quantity, and what does it look like, if it is grainy and looks like black treacle, it needs changing.

Dirty oil will cause problems later, save yourself expensive repair bills by getting oil changed earlier rather than later.  You need to be brave (or foolish) to assume the new generation small turbo engines can do long life services like the previous bigger lower powered ones could.

My 999 cc 3 cylinder Toledo (Rapid) develops a very healthy 108 BHP / 148 lb/ft. The torque output (and general driveability) comfortably exceeds the 1.8 litre (113 BHP) Ford Mondeo I owned back in 2001 - seems only fair to treat it to fresh oil once a year:thumbup:

The Toledo was delivered set to yearly servicing, but the OBC tells me oil is due around 10k miles, whereas an inspection isn't due for ages. Frustratingly these appear to relate to the same thing, assuming the car is under 4 years old, when additional filters are "due" for changing. 

I type of servicing is clearly set-up to minimize servicing costs for fleet users, during the first few years of a cars life.

I've traditionally had the oil change service done by the main dealer (when the car remains under manufacturers warranty) but have then changed the other filters myself.

Irritated to see a first service for a petrol Skoda is available for £159, whereas the same for a SEAT is £189:dry:

Skoda, Audi or VW Main Dealerships should not refuse to service your cars that have identical components and Servicing to a SEAT.

Some do if they own the other brand Dealerships as well, or try to, but you just have to mention Cartel / Restrictive Practices and Trading Standards and they usually book you in.

VW Main Dealer Servicing was cheaper than Skoda Main Dealer IME, maybe prices have changed.

2 hours ago, Offski said:

Skoda, Audi or VW Main Dealerships should not refuse to service your cars that have identical components and Servicing to a SEAT.

Some do if they own the other brand Dealerships as well, or try to, but you just have to mention Cartel / Restrictive Practices and Trading Standards and they usually book you in.

VW Main Dealer Servicing was cheaper than Skoda Main Dealer IME, maybe prices have changed.

There are a few locations with both brands and the service Departments are effectively one, even if they have their own customer desks at the front.

At the moment there are (a diminishing) number of authorised service dealers (usually old Skoda dealers that no longer sell new cars and have changed brands because they do not have showroom space for enlarged range.   Some garages moved to bigger sites at out of town locations where you annoyingly need a car to go anywhere whilst they work on yours.

• 2 weeks later...

The other problem is that you shouldn't be using a lot of turbo when your oil is still cold. Even when your engine temperature gauge tells you the engine is warm, it still takes a good 10-15 minutes for the oil to get up to correct operating temperature.

My current car is a 2 litre and it can be difficult to drive when cold without using the turbo. I know because my car has a turbo gauge - a 1.2 turbo such as the one I had in my Rapid will kick in very early and you can't see that it's doing it. 

If the oil is not up to operating temperature then it can't lubricate the turbo properly which can lead to premature wear and failure. I think we're going to see a lot of small engined turbo failures over the next few years as that is what seems to be fitted to most cars now.

If you look at the servicing regimes for most cars - every other year it seems to consist of an oil change and a visual inspection for £170+ so it's no wonder that some people are going for the long life servicing to save themselves having to fork out this rediculous amount but there's nothing stopping anyone from getting the oil changed every year inbetween services if they intend to keep their cars.

Even at 0*oC Air or ground temp a 1.0, 1.2, 1.4 TSI will get the oil to an indicated 50*oc in 5-6 miles, maybe that is 10 minutes then, 

but the turbo of a 1.0,1.2., 1.4 or even 2.0 TSI is well enough lubricated. 

Maybe before giving the engine full beans you might want to wait until the Indicated oil temp is nearer 80*oC  but that does not affect the Turbo Lubrication.

Maybe better that the 5w 40 is being used rather than 5w 30 FS LL,  but then that is for owners to decide.

Not worth following VW's recommendation of Long Life Oil when doing Fixed Servicing, long life oil, short lived engines...

Oddly Turbo failure of Euro 5 engines which can be 8 years old now is not as common as Acctuators needing replaced.

Now VW are going with VW 508 / 0w 20 FS LL in the petrols,  not for longevity of engines just to get the WLPT results they need, 

the same with the VW 509 for diesels.

Edited by Offski

So answer me this....which will have worse oil degradation?

Car 1 - mostly driven low/medium load at steady 1800-2000 rpm, long journeys. 14k service interval
Car 2 - mostly start/stop/idle in traffic, short journeys. 10k service interval.

I know which car I'd buy......