After the Alloys have been cleaned.

maverick54

If I take the alloys off my car and clean with Valet Pro Billberry to remove all dirt and dust, what then to make cleaning them on the car easier next time?

Is there something quick and easy I can spray on that will help stop the dirt and dust sticking so badly next time I come to clean them?

Will follow this one with interest as the second half of the spring clean I will be doing on my Superb will be wheels (plus interior) having sorted the paintwork last weekend. Based on advice I got on here I'm planning to put two coats of Fusso 99 dark on my wheels (anthracite Pegasus) to seal and then a cheap auto-wax as a further barrier protection that I'm prepared to sacrifice to the wheel brush each fortnight when I wash it. Love the look of the Fusso on the bodywork, so I'm hoping it will look just as good on the wheels. And it's a doddle to use on paintwork as long as you don't over-do it or leave it on too long, so I'm hoping the same will apply to the wheels.

FWIW I'm planning to use the AG custom wheel cleaner as I don't want to put anything too aggressive on the car until I get to grips with what works - I'm very new to this stuff. I'm also working on the basis that since the wheels get a much harder time than the bodywork I will be re-sealing 4 times a year rather than the twice a year I plan for the bodywork - does that sound right to the more experienced on here?

2 hours ago, BriskodaJeff said:

Will follow this one with interest as the second half of the spring clean I will be doing on my Superb will be wheels (plus interior) having sorted the paintwork last weekend. Based on advice I got on here I'm planning to put two coats of Fusso 99 dark on my wheels (anthracite Pegasus) to seal and then a cheap auto-wax as a further barrier protection that I'm prepared to sacrifice to the wheel brush each fortnight when I wash it. Love the look of the Fusso on the bodywork, so I'm hoping it will look just as good on the wheels. And it's a doddle to use on paintwork as long as you don't over-do it or leave it on too long, so I'm hoping the same will apply to the wheels.

FWIW I'm planning to use the AG custom wheel cleaner as I don't want to put anything too aggressive on the car until I get to grips with what works - I'm very new to this stuff. I'm also working on the basis that since the wheels get a much harder time than the bodywork I will be re-sealing 4 times a year rather than the twice a year I plan for the bodywork - does that sound right to the more experienced on here?

Yup that seems fine, you may not even need to use a wheel cleaner. A pressure rinse or some soapy water left from your wash bucket will be enough to clean them

• Thanks 1

I recall watching an in depth video on you tube by a guy who goes by the title" forensic detailing channel" His reviews are totally none biased and a treat to watch. Anyways, his experiment proved that there is very little , to no point in applying any products to your clean wheels. Might be worth you having a look maverick54.

• Like 1

I had mine protected with Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armor from new.  At 18k miles now, two and a half years later and they're still easy to clean.

Doesn't protect 'em from kerbs though :crying:

Gaz

13 hours ago, V6TDI said:

I had mine protected with Gtechniq C5 Wheel Armor from new.  At 18k miles now, two and a half years later and they're still easy to clean.

Doesn't protect 'em from kerbs though :crying:

Gaz

Hi Gaz. Is this Gtechniq a ceramic coating ?

Very regularly cleaned my Superb alloys for 4 years of ownership with nothing more than soap and water.

They were still as new when I sold the car.

I was lucky though, in so far as I had the time to always keep them clean.

43 minutes ago, kevberlin said:

Very regularly cleaned my Superb alloys for 4 years of ownership with nothing more than soap and water.

They were still as new when I sold the car.

I was lucky though, in so far as I had the time to always keep them clean.

Interesting Kev. My previous SII Superb had the 17" poverty spec wheels and I did as you, but only fortnightly. I have to say the brake dust build-up was a real problem and I never actually managed to keep them really clean. But I did big mileage (30k per annum). So when the SIII arrived (18" Pegasus) I kept whatever the dealer had put on the wheels pre-sale and added a wipe of turtle wax every fortnight. I've not had any problems with brake dust build up in the 3 months I've had it. Do we think peoples' experience is down to mileage and frequency of washing, or even the model of wheel involved?

Jeff,

i think you have it right. My annual mileage was relatively low and my wash routine was extremely regular.

I have just had my Fabia Mk1 VRS wheels powder coated and the chap told me specifically not to use chemicals cleaners .................instead just soap, water and gentle power wash if I felt inclined. As a contradiction to my earlier point I bought some Poor Boys wheel wax and gave them 3 coats prior to reattaching to the car!!!

As you say, regular cleaning with a bit of turtle wax should keep them fine.

Edited by kevberlin
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd share the results of my efforts. AG custom wheel cleaner followed by 2 coats of Auto Finesse mint rims (I was going to use my Fusso, but given the effort I decided to use a dedicated product). Very happy with the result - not sure the picture actually does them justice. I'm hoping it will last me 3 months or so.

image.png.6a8d765b04bc4e9264ffd1a64f66a003.png

Going forwards they'll get a sacrificial layer of cheapo Turtlewax fortnightly as part of the maintenance wash.

One word to the wise if you are thinking of using Mint Rims - they recommend minimum 3 hours between coats, so make sure you have some time available if you want multiple coats on the wheels!

I spent yesterday cleaning down the cars, claying and managed to get one of the cars machine polished before I ran out time. 

In the meantime I had the wife employed cleaning down the summer wheels with Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel and then protecting with PoorBoys Wheel Sealant. Must admit they have come up a treat and best they’ve looked since getting them with a nice deep shine. However it’s a bit of a task with each wheel requiring three coats of applying, allowing to dry to haze and then buffing off again. Poor girl was knackered by the time she was done. I've not had the courage to mention the winter wheels will require the same treatment before they’re stored away. 

• Like 1

Decent options for wheel protection....

- FK1000p high temp wax

or

- BMW Revolutions wheel wax.

On top of this, or standalone - after a wash - a wipedown with Sonax BSD works wonders too!

Gyeon Q2 Rim is the best sealant for wheels.  Beats C5 hands down.

Easy to apply and remove and will last at least 12 months.