Help needed - got a call with Skoda Customer Services

Hi all.

Looking for some tips on dealing with Skoda Customer Services. I've just had my car diagnosed with warped front discs and not covered under warranty (my car is 7 months old, 6,200 miles). Seems if it is older than 6 months or more than 6,000 miles, it is not covered (wear and tear). However, I've had to wait a month to get it booked in with my dealer (I made the booking on 12th March for today - and the car had around 5,500 miles on it then).

Any tips to save me £255....? It's my first poor experience with Skoda (I've had a few cars over the years). Ta

Be polite, and advise them it was noticed by you at 5500 miles, but the dealer couldn't get it in until now hence the additional mileage.

They may pay some towards it, as its so new, but discs/pads are not usually covered under the same warranty as they are consumable items.  Without knowing for definite that the discs had manufacturing defects when you got the car, I don't know what else you can do.

In the grand scheme of it - £255 isn't the end of the world, but I'd want to know that just replacing the discs/pads will fix it, as it could be a sign of something else wrong with the car.

• Like 1

Thanks HWR

Conversation has been had, politely of course.  Facts shared.  I have a case number and could take up to 48 hrs to get a resolution (hopefully the right one).  I can't see how they could not honour it as the deal has confirmed the date I booked the slot (12th March).  I've also told the dealer to do the work anyway  -I'll pay for it - and it can be refunded later.... (this won't prejudice the case I'm told).

Fingers crossed!

Si

11 minutes ago, cheshire_cat said:

would be interested to know if the diagnosis was as a result of measuring the runout or an "expert analysis"    may be corrosion (have you been on hol's or similar during the bad (salt strewn) weather?

Hi

Readings are (I'm told), 0.03 offside and 0.02 nearside (no idea what this means!).  

The issue presented itself about 8 weeks ago and become more noticeable over 2 to 3 weeks.  Not been anywhere unusual, don't drive it hard.... weather in the UK has been pretty crap though!

While consumable I wouldn't expect discs to need replacing after 7 months unless there is something wrong.  Maybe 7 years but not seven months - not done stratospheric miles has it?  After all they are designed to deal with heat aren't they.

Many years ago and probably pre WWW the original Toyota MR2s had disc problems and Toyota replaced them all.

well that is the amount of "wobble"  for want of a better word   measured at the outer circumference  (on the wear face) over one complete rotation   as a comparison   (as I don't have SKODA spec to hand but someone on here will ) a Merc C class with similar sized discs the MAX runout is    ---.12mm   

?

Who diagnosed the warped discs.

Read your Skoda Manufacturers Warranty, it is 6,500 miles / 6 months in their T&C's,   that does not mean that Warped Discs are not included.

See the wording, as Dealers & Skoda UK Customer services should look.

Manufacturing or material, quality control, even Software issues, ABS / TC , ABS Modules can be the problem.

Warranty-Booklet-single (1).pdf

Page 4 ,  6 months / 6,500 miles which ever comes first,  but the issue is not wear and tear....

'BRAKE LININGS and DISC PADS'.      Note,  that is not Brake Discs & pads.     

Edited by Offski
  • Like 1

Thanks all.  

Skoda have offered me the full amount (£255) by way of a voucher!!! I've politely told them er, no... I want a refund. They cannot do that and are going to speak to the dealer. I've told them to do that - before I do escalate to Rod McLeod. Seems I should have spent my time trying to find a dealer who could look at my vehicle "before" it was 6 months old (despite the one I used and the next nearest one being booked out for 4 weeks).. Having typed that, how would a layman know that the issue was a component allegedly only covered by 6 months! Not very happy.

When they call back (assuming it's a no!), I'll pick them up on the "'BRAKE LININGS and DISC PADS' piece (thanks Offski)

Hi chalkstorm, runout of 0.02 and 0.03 would NOT be classed as warped if in metric not inches  (.025mm  is only one thousandth of an inch or approx one fifth human hair thickness ) hit them with the consumer rights act , goods have to be fit for the purpose they were designed 4 .unless you've been on a race track or changed the pads for aftermarket dealer hasn't a leg to stand on .could be a sticking caliper to cause warping at that mileage, I've run many sets of discs to min thickness with no warping it should not happen at that mileage so don't take the dealer BS ,hope u get a good result :)

Excellent result ChalkStorm

It's unfortunate that dealers try and get away with the BS they do.

I have an issue with picking my car up!  I want to go at the weekend, and they don't want to do a weekend handover...I'm standing my ground though.  The dealer is quite a trip for me.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hwr1983 said:

Excellent result ChalkStorm

It's unfortunate that dealers try and get away with the BS they do.

I have an issue with picking my car up!  I want to go at the weekend, and they don't want to do a weekend handover...I'm standing my ground though.  The dealer is quite a trip for me.

Yes, I'm satisfied.

I don't think it was the dealer though - they found the issue, called the warranty department and they refused it... leaving the dealer no choice but to either not do the job or charge me.  I just don't see why Skoda CS needed to talk to the dealer to see if they would refund me rather than give a voucher.  While it is my local dealer (and I've bought 2 other cars from them), I didn't buy the one in question from them....