EoL / older cars in your family ? When to let go

Have you ever got to a point where you decide to keep an older Skoda ?

Ok so I have an old Fabia 1 vRS, the BLT  late 06Its done me very proud and continues to, although the Octy is my more recent car that will be the "longer term" on to replace this.

Its still going pretty strong, original clutch and turbo and < 140k miles but a few things nark me but are minor and I may sort later on in the year, but was planning to do myself.

In some ways its a lot easier to drive than Octy tearing about, and I also prefer to drive in winter and also adding the miles on this rather than the Octy makes sense.

But its a diseasel and its a right stinker when you start it overnght from cold lol right plume of smoke.

Can be embrassing although this doesn't cause me too much issue as theres normaly not too many about when I start it but neverthless.

(maybe I need to replace glowplugs or something I did ths before when it was throwing a light on dash which solved it ?).

Also bit annoying have so many cars and as I got this, the octy and an mgf ( which is staying lol), the car juggling business can be annoying.

Should I be thinking of liberating it or embrace the fact it still such a good workhorse ?

I suppose future MOT impact on diesels may have some bearing, also might be worth keeping hold of just in case they might offer some insentive to cash in part exchange ?

Yes! Like you, I've got a Mk1 Fabia vRS that's going to be a keeper - That was decided on the day it was purchased in 2007, as it's got a little bit of history behind it.

Of course, the fact it still does absolutely everything you ask of it, just as well as when it was new helps. 

As does the fact it's been regularly serviced and looked after, to the point where it's only failed one WoF (our version of an MOT) and needed less than $1000 spent on it other than regular servicing and consumables in 11 years.

• Like 1

We always seem to have an old workhorse.

Kept a Mk1 Fabia 1.9tdi for ages just to bomb about in and stick in tight parking spaces.

Currently our older Skoda is a 2012 Mk2 Octavia. It has a towbar and roof bars and can usually be seen towing the trailer to the tip or ferrying ladders about.

We'll be keeping it for a few more years then probably hand ot to someone in the family.

In 2016 we part-ex'd a 2005 Fabia Mk1 that we bought new (11 years old) for our current Octavia (the purchase was funded by selling my 2006 Audi RS4 - which I bought new - was then 10 years old) and our second car which we still have is a 2008 Citroen C1 that we bought used in 2010 (currently 10 years old).

Modern cars don't rust or break as quickly as they used to (every Mini or Metro we owned started to show rust when less than 2 years old).

Yep, Just got a new VRS 245, but still got the old 2006 VRS as a workhorse (even though we don't technically need 3 cars!)

I've got a 19 year old purple Fiesta that I use as a van/shed/bollard/workhorse. It's ace, best £400 I've ever spent. I do 70 mile a day in it and it's Bob on. 

Keeps the miles off the Golf too.

Only really got space for two cars so that’s the Octavia and a 2002 Astra. It still starts and stops well, AC works, cheap Pioneer head unit does iPod in glovebox, Bluetooth streaming and hands free etc, and I don’t care where I leave it when out.

No old Skodas as the Octavia is our first, but maybe one day the 2017 SEL will be our old second car. 

I traded in my Oct II 4x4 a few weeks ago. It was 12yrs old with nearly 140k but from a few steps back looked immaculate. Closer inspection did show bad denting around the sills (big rocks around my driveway), scuffs on rear bumper and rust spots on door bottoms etc. The biggest concern was the turbo would scream if pushed (EG. motorway slip road uphill) but calmed down if backed off, failed bushes on front suspension, general noise/vibration (prob flywheel).

All in it was costing me over £2k a year in maintenance. Traded in for just £800.

There was so much which was working, so much that was good and it was brilliant in the deep snow this winter (with winter tyres). 

Anyway - I hope it makes someone happy in its new life.

• Like 1