19" L&K Phoenix Anthracite corrosion issue.

Hi all,been a while since I posted. Picked up my SIII L&K 150 in October last year,a 6 month old ex SUK car,fitted with the optional 19" Phoenix Anthracite alloys-an option that I really think sets the car off nicely.

However,whilst washing the car today,I've noticed corrosion starting to creep in on the polished face of all 4 wheels. While it's barely noticeable  when you stand back from the car,when you're close up you can see it. I don't use any wheel cleaners or harsh chemicals on them-the only product I use is Autoglym Shampoo Conditioner and a microfibre wash mit.

My question is,has anyone had the same issue with these wheels,and had them replaced under warranty? The car is 13 months old,with 9500 miles.

Any replies or advice much appreciated. 

If there is ANY paint chips near the corrosion (whiteworm) then thats the cause and you are on you own, however providing there is no breaks in the clear lacquer then they should be replaced under warranty.

Post some close up photos of them.

Unfortunately, as is the case with any diamond cut wheels, corrosion is an ever present problem, the clear cote is just a thin laquer compared to normal wheel paint so offers little protection.

Thanks for your replies guys:). Having had another look,there's no obvious chips or damage near the corrosion,so fingers crossed! Will see if the Mrs can sort loading the pics up-I'm a bit hopeless with technology!:biggrin:. Will be emailing my pics to my dealer this week(well,my Mrs will be!:biggrin:),so we'll see what happens.

I had Santa Monica alloys on my mkiv Golf,but they were about 5 years old before I had any corrosion issues with those,and even then it was only minor.

Wish me luck! I had a look online,only new replacement I could find was £432 each!!!:o

That type of corrosion damage can quite easily be rectified. Have a word with the guys at smartwheels.co.uk 

I had a minor ding in one of my 19" Phoenix Anthracite wheels and they fixed it for £90. Far cheaper than a new wheel and it was guaranteed for 12 months. They clear coated it after diamond grinding and it looks like a new one again.

Edited by TerryMcK

Thanks Terry:). That's worth knowing! I know this type of wheel is not as straightforward to repair as a single colour one.

Whereabouts are they based? I see you're not too far from me,so may be quite a handy solution if I need it:)

They are in Manchester just outside the city centre off Rochdale Road. I was really impressed with the work and they took care with the tyre pressure sensor inside the wheel too. I left the wheel with them and picked it up the next day.

Alternatively you can leave the car overnight as it is in a locked compound.

This is a problem with diamond cut wheels, as said above the laquer is too thin to adequately protect the wheels but I would press SUK. My previous car (a Honda) had diamond cut wheels and they started to get the marks you are describing at about 3 years old. I didn't raise this with Honda for another 6 months (at the next service)  by which time the car was well out of warranty  but they offered to replace all four wheels at a significantly reduced price - £150 for the lot. Wheels where actually £220 each to buy. Given you car is much newer and shows no signs of damage I would expect them to be replaced for free or they should pay for the refurb. I won;t be getting another car with diamond cut wheels - great in the showroom not not for everyday use.

5 hours ago, Speedman said:

This is a problem with diamond cut wheels, as said above the laquer is too thin to adequately protect the wheels but I would press SUK. My previous car (a Honda) had diamond cut wheels and they started to get the marks you are describing at about 3 years old. I didn't raise this with Honda for another 6 months (at the next service)  by which time the car was well out of warranty  but they offered to replace all four wheels at a significantly reduced price - £150 for the lot. Wheels where actually £220 each to buy. Given you car is much newer and shows no signs of damage I would expect them to be replaced for free or they should pay for the refurb. I won;t be getting another car with diamond cut wheels - great in the showroom not not for everyday use.

Totally agree with speedman, great in the showroom but not really up to every day use, I had an AXGT in the 90's with the full face of the wheels diamond cut and laquered, after less than 2 years they started to get oxidation scabs and worms under the laquer.....my solution was to jack a wheel on axle stands start the engine, put it in gear and used the car to polish all 4 wheels using the car as a lathe!!.....bloody lethal! ( things you do when you are young and foolish!) looked superb after though, just polished them with metal polish once a week, quick rub over and they looked fab :D

Cheers guys:thumbup:. Thanks for your replies. Yes I agree diamond cut alloys aren't the best long term,but they do look the part. That is,until they start corroding! I'll update this post when I've spoken to my dealer.

• 1 month later...

Ok,so a quick update on the corrosion situation...Got in touch with my dealer,and called in for him to have a look at the wheels. Good news...the corrosion is covered under the warranty.:thumbup::biggrin: Car booked in for 4 new wheels next week! Happy days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2