AC stopped working just typical

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you test the pressure and the other stats above? VCDS? I have an issue with the AC on my 2007 1.9 TDI - it works when the car is revving, but stops when it's idling in traffic (just blows hot air). I had it re-gassed but that didn't help. The shop suggested it may be an issue with a valve on the compressor, probably the one Trev mentions. any suggestions would be much appreciated.

1 hour ago, KoleRusinov said:

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you test the pressure and the other stats above? VCDS? I have an issue with the AC on my 2007 1.9 TDI - it works when the car is revving, but stops when it's idling in traffic (just blows hot air). I had it re-gassed but that didn't help. The shop suggested it may be an issue with a valve on the compressor, probably the one Trev mentions. any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Yes VCDS: HVAC - Measuring Blocks - then choose your desired group

Edited by arthurd123

That's something I did not do, as its a special valve that don't work with 12V, I think it works with 2V or something like that I have read.

Yeah HVAC controller and select measuring blocks, page down until you find pressure, not sure which one it is, also you can go into engine and activate the cooling fans too, so I rules them out too.

Trev

16 hours ago, Aston_Bodger said:

That's something I did not do, as its a special valve that don't work with 12V, I think it works with 2V or something like that I have read.

Yeah HVAC controller and select measuring blocks, page down until you find pressure, not sure which one it is, also you can go into engine and activate the cooling fans too, so I rules them out too.

Trev

Thanks Trev,

My smaller fan is busted as only the bigger one comes on during the output test so I would need to replace the smaller one not sure what the part number would be for this one. I can get both used off eBay for around 50 squid. I have the AC guy coming over to have a look at this today perhaps he can give more info/his view on it. 

Edited by arthurd123

22 hours ago, arthurd123 said:

Does anyone know how to measure resistance of the N280 valve?

Unplug the loom connector and use a multimeter set to resistance/Ohms between the pins of the solenoid.

O

1 hour ago, Wino said:

Unplug the loom connector and use a multimeter set to resistance/Ohms between the pins of the solenoid.

Tried unplugging the connector it wont come out, not much space for my fat hands in there I will try and do it at home and take a reading.

if you can get a valve, don't forget to have the system degassed, then its a circlip that holds the valve in place, new circlip might come with the valve, I'm not sure as like I said I couldn't get one for mine so had to replace the compressor.

Trev

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Aston_Bodger said:

if you can get a valve, don't forget to have the system degassed, then its a circlip that holds the valve in place, new circlip might come with the valve, I'm not sure as like I said I couldn't get one for mine so had to replace the compressor.

Trev

Thanks Trev 

Trying to find out if it actually can be replaced.

4 hours ago, Wino said:

Managed to unplug it but for the life I can put in the probes from the multi meter in there, well to get them spot onto those two pins..... 

Instead I have scratches all over my hands :angry:

Edited by arthurd123

Yeah its like a bunch of razors down there, I did the same too, to say its a bit tight is an understatement.

There is a multi plug near the nearside headlight, it will be 2 wires in that, if you still have the comp plug off you will be able to find the wires that go to the comp in the multi plug, then plug the comp back in and check at the multi plug, more room that way, just an idea?

Trev

52 minutes ago, Aston_Bodger said:

Yeah its like a bunch of razors down there, I did the same too, to say its a bit tight is an understatement.

There is a multi plug near the nearside headlight, it will be 2 wires in that, if you still have the comp plug off you will be able to find the wires that go to the comp in the multi plug, then plug the comp back in and check at the multi plug, more room that way, just an idea?

Trev

Thanks Trev,

I'm not too sure but I believe this needs to be done at the plug, resistance will be all over the place if I do it from another location.

It should not make that much of a difference in resistance, its only a variable solenoid from what I saw of mine and it just adjusts the pressure as the compressor works all the time, hence why they go after about 4-5 years.

Trev

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Aston_Bodger said:

It should not make that much of a difference in resistance, its only a variable solenoid from what I saw of mine and it just adjusts the pressure as the compressor works all the time, hence why they go after about 4-5 years.

Trev

Trev,

I will give that a go tomorrow since I have a day off, I’m thinking about getting the valve then doing a degas and replacing it. Found a local garage who degas for free and refill for 30 squid.

Really appreciate your help!