Stop Start

Karman

Who else finds the stop-start weird? I have the dsg box, and the stop-start cuts the engine out before you actually need to stop when doing about 5mph, and then the engine immediately starts for a few seconds before then cutting out again when you do finally come to a  stop.

We noticed the start/stop cutting the engine at about 5mph on all the VAG cars we tested prior to settling on the Karoq. We got used to it on a weekend away in a Passat and it seems a logical progression from my current stop/start system in 2015 Leon. I'll see what its like to live with in the Karoq.

The Superb III does the same (but doesn't come back on when you stop!).  I would suggest if it comes back on when you stop, before going off again, there may be a fault.  I've only driven the DSG and found it weird the engine stops BEFORE you do, but it doesn't bother me, as a stab of accelerator starts the engine back up again.

I've noticed this too but according to the VW "easy to understand" video it activates "just before you come to a complete stop" so by design.

I think with a manual gearbox it will only stop the engine if you're in neutral and your foot is off the clutch so you can make a bit of a conscious decision whether you want start/stop kicking in and you can keep the clutch down in those situations where your only stopping very briefly and the engine will keep running, e.g. in traffic. So for it to kick when you're still moving in a manual you have to be coasting to a stop.

2 hours ago, hwr1983 said:

The Superb III does the same (but doesn't come back on when you stop!).  I would suggest if it comes back on when you stop, before going off again, there may be a fault.  I've only driven the DSG and found it weird the engine stops BEFORE you do, but it doesn't bother me, as a stab of accelerator starts the engine back up again.

It actually comes on before I fully stop. When I have finally fully stopped it cuts the engine again!

so it’s off then on when coming up to a stop and you are still rolling forward, then off again when at a stand still.

Edited by Karman

We take our dogs for a walk through a local windfarm. There're 5 speed bumps on the way into the car park and engine cuts out at each one. Starts up again as soon as you go to accelerate. Seemed strange at first, but got used to it now!!

It seems Audi,VW, Skoda all do it, it’s the next generation of start stop, 

i took mine back to the dealer and was this is how they are, never noticed this on test drive. Thinking of getting mine coded out.

5 minutes ago, yeti yeti said:

Audi,VW, Skoda all do it, it’s the next generation of start stop

Seriously? The engine is supposed to cut out at about 5mph when slowing down, then start up again, then stop again when the car stops moving?

Yes I went on the vw “easy to understand” video on YouTube showing start stop which solar fusion suggested, and it shows it cuts the engine out before you come to a stop at about 5mph, but it’s made to start again under certain circumstances one is if the steering wheel is turned. 

Thats why it stops, starts, and stops again. If approaching a junctions or a round about and you move over to the left let’s say to turn left then it stops while approaching at 5mph, then you turn the steering to turn left it starts, then if you stop because you can’t leave the junction it stops again!

• Like 1