Clutch Failure

survey

As the gearbox has to come off anyway to fix the slave cylinder,  with the car being 8 years old I'd be putting a new clutch in at the same time if it were mine.

• Like 1

On 28/04/2018 at 08:02, Gyp said:

And the Superb is a lot less joyous than the Yeti :-(

If find the same. Our Superb is a great mile muncher, very quiet, very spacious and very comfort orientated, but not really designed for fun. I always look forward to getting back in the Yeti, it's quicker and much more fun to chuck about :)

• Like 1

On 4/28/2018 at 08:02, Gyp said:

And the Superb is a lot less joyous than the Yeti :-(

Agreed:thumbup:

I test drove all the Tour de France special editions (Superb, Octavia and Yeti) and opted for the  Yeti.

My current Yeti is right up there as one of the best cars I've ever owned.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well it turns out that the clutch problem was diagnosed as contaminated clutch fluid. A fluid change and all is ok. Obviously an honest garage. But I wonder what caused contamination of clutch fluid? 

• Thanks 1

My previous yeti, now owned by my daughter, had to have the clutch/DMF assembly replaced about a year ago, mileage 65000 approx. Done for £600 ish at local indie at very short notice.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if the clutch master cylinder is incorporated with the brake master cylinder?  My brake fluid was replaced at the end of March as part of a Halfords Auto Centre major service and this has resulted in a slightly spongy brake pedal.  If it is a common master cylinder, I wondered if this might affect the clutch operation as recently I have found it a little difficult to engage first and second gears.  The clutch pedal feels fairly normal although the biting point is quite high. 

1 hour ago, Gino4 said:

Does anyone know if the clutch master cylinder is incorporated with the brake master cylinder?  My brake fluid was replaced at the end of March as part of a Halfords Auto Centre major service and this has resulted in a slightly spongy brake pedal.  If it is a common master cylinder, I wondered if this might affect the clutch operation as recently I have found it a little difficult to engage first and second gears.  The clutch pedal feels fairly normal although the biting point is quite high. 

It uses the same reservoir.

Sounds like you need to go get the brakes and clutch bled by somebody who knows what they are doing

• Like 2

12 hours ago, SuperbTWM said:

Sounds like you need to go get the brakes and clutch bled by somebody who knows what they are doing

Indeed - sounds like some muppet must have pushed the clutch pedal down whilst the shared resevoir was empty. If nothing has been disconnected from the brake hydraulics and procedures have been followed then changing the brake fluid should not introduce air into the system.

Take it to someone who knows what they are doing and has VCDS to be able to operate the ABS to expunge air from within.

The clutch hydraulic circuit will need bleeding as well - to be honest this is a good thing as most people don't change the hydraulic fluid in this and the seals can still eventually fail in the same way as on brakes. The diesel Yeti has a concentric clutch slave cylinder that is buried within the gearbox and is a gearbox off job to replace (and they have been known to fail!) although the bleed nipple is obviously external to the gearbox and should be easyish to bleed.

The 1.2tsi Yeti has a different gearbox where the slave cylinder is external to the gearbox (as it is on my Superb 1.4tsi EA111)

On 16/05/2018 at 21:45, survey said:

Well it turns out that the clutch problem was diagnosed as contaminated clutch fluid. A fluid change and all is ok. Obviously an honest garage. But I wonder what caused contamination of clutch fluid? 

Well I have just heard that the clutch problem has reared its ugly head again. Have to learn what the garage says.

Thanks for the info guys, sounds like I'm better off sticking with my favourite Skoda dealer - rock hard brake pedal last time they did it.  I hope the slave cylinder is OK, replacing this sounds a little more complicated than the last one I changed - a 1978 Mini 1000 which took about 15 minutes!

On 18/06/2018 at 22:04, survey said:

Well I have just heard that the clutch problem has reared its ugly head again. Have to learn what the garage says.

Problem diagnosed as master cylinder failure. New one installed and seems to have cured the problem.

• 1 month later...

Update. Garage has bled and topped up fluid three times and has also replaced the master cylinder. Clutch pedal problem reoccurs after a few weeks. As suspected they now say it is probably the slave cylinder which of course is located internally! 

Has anyone had to replace this and an idea of approximate cost? Should clutch itself be replaced and anything else whilst exposed?

Any other thoughts? 

Is it internal? Don't know for the Yeti specifically but typically the lever to operate clutch comes out of clutch housing, where it pivots on a pin, to an external hydraulic cylinder which is accessible without taking the engine off the gearbox? Not usually room inside the housing for the slave cylinder?

Just now, kenfowler3966 said:

Is it internal? Don't know for the Yeti specifically but typically the lever to operate clutch comes out of clutch housing, where it pivots on a pin, to an external hydraulic cylinder which is accessible without taking the engine off the gearbox? Not usually room inside the housing for the slave cylinder?

Hi. Yes I believe it is internal. Unless anyone knows definitively!

4 hours ago, survey said:

Hi. Yes I believe it is internal. Unless anyone knows definitively!

Lift the bonnet and look on top of the gearbox (follow the hydraulic pipes from the master cylinder) if it's external (which I think it should be) it will be visible on top of the gearbox

Edited by bigjohn

10 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

Lift the bonnet and look on top of the gearbox (follow the hydraulic pipes from the master cylinder) if it's external (which I think it should be) it will be visible on top of the gearbox

Dealers confirm it's internal!

37 minutes ago, survey said:

Dealers confirm it's internal!

Sorry - should have read the full thread again. It's for your daughters "2010 yeti 2.0 Tdi" not the 1.2tsi shown on your signature. So yes it's an internal concentric clutch slave cylinder. 

Whilst you are in there I'd change everything including DMF - however sorry this is not cheap! Does the Yeti ever suffer the Sachs coverplate failure seen elsewhere on the Skoda 2.0 diesel range? - if so fit another make!

Edited by bigjohn