Safety in action

Thank goodness for modern car safety cells. You are lucky to be 'relatively' unscathed after hitting trees at speed. Hopefully your injuries will heal and you'll get properly compensated. Not much chance of 50/50 blame-sharing which seems common, unless the BMW driver lies and says you braked heavily. The crash investigators will sort her out. 

7 minutes ago, Redboy said:

Thank goodness for modern car safety cells. You are lucky to be 'relatively' unscathed after hitting trees at speed. Hopefully your injuries will heal and you'll get properly compensated. Not much chance of 50/50 blame-sharing which seems common, unless the BMW driver lies and says you braked heavily. The crash investigators will sort her out. 

One reason I have Dash Cams back and front.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Redboy said:

Even if he did it wouldn't be classed as blame on his part. Law states you should leave sufficient space between you and the car in front to enable you to stop in all circumstances. 

If you're hit from behind then the driver who hits you is at fault, simple as that. 

Dashcams are a god send with stuff like this. I'd never have a car without one now. 

1 hour ago, Redboy said:

Not much chance of 50/50 blame-sharing which seems common, unless the BMW driver lies and says you braked heavily. The crash investigators will sort her out. 

Witnesses who stayed with me until Emergency Services arrived were both aghast at the speed she was travelling. One, an off-duty PC said he was in the process of calling it in to the police before i was hit. So, prosecution , hopefully.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, flyingpigvrs said:

Even if he did it wouldn't be classed as blame on his part. Law states you should leave sufficient space between you and the car in front to enable you to stop in all circumstances. 

If you're hit from behind then the driver who hits you is at fault, simple as that. 

Dashcams are a god send with stuff like this. I'd never have a car without one now. 

I know what the law says in relation to being hit from behind. It's the same in many countries. There do seem to be a fair few collisions in apparently slam dunk cases that don't result in the fair apportionment of blame and cost. A successful prosecution by the CPS should put paid to that. 

8 hours ago, flyingpigvrs said:

Out of interest is your superb fitted with the telematics system (SOS button on the roof)?

Interested to know if the car called the emergency services like it claims. 

Just to let you know about this, a member on here had a bad crash in his Superb last week and all airbags triggered and all. The SOS system automatically rang the control centre and my mate could only mutter 'ambulance' and they called it and had the GPS location from the system (No sat nav fitted in car). I was well impressed . Also a very loud siren went off and a voice blaring 'Impact, Impact'. His car is written off and he only has bruising and swelling. Brilliant cars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, scr64 said:

Witnesses who stayed with me until Emergency Services arrived were both aghast at the speed she was travelling. One, an off-duty PC said he was in the process of calling it in to the police before i was hit. So, prosecution , hopefully.

If an off duty has seen it necessary to ring it through then they will most definitely be prosecuted. 

With your statement, third party witnesses and an off duty officer all singing from the same page, the BMW driver has got a bad day ahead of them. 

3 minutes ago, greym said:

Just to let you know about this, a member on here had a bad crash in his Superb last week and all airbags triggered and all. The SOS system automatically rang the control centre and my mate could only mutter 'ambulance' and they called it and had the GPS location from the system (No sat nav fitted in car). I was well impressed . Also a very loud siren went off and a voice blaring 'Impact, Impact'. His car is written off and he only has bruising and swelling. Brilliant cars.

That's brilliant. 

Obviously it's something that you hope to never ever use, but it's great to hear that when it's needed it works as it should. 

Hope your mate makes a speedy recovery. 

Wow, so glad you came out of that 'relatively' unscathed, i've seen people end up with a lot worse from a lot less. I would agree with flying pig, very strong chance of a prosecution coming from this, and rightly so. Wishing you all the best in your recovery 

• Thanks 1

Glad that you survived to tell the tale, either an argument, they were both texting on their phones or the drink and or drugs hadn't quite worn off are my guesses.