Aftermarket stereo systems

Hi there fellow Skoda owners.

I am seeking some advice for my MK1 Skoda superb. I recently purchased an android system to bring my DX sat nav unit up to date with modern technology but there was socket for my steering wheel controls.

The other item I purchased worked which were a DAB adapter, dash cam, reversing camera, tyre pressure monitor system and a OBD unit.

I would like to know if anyone has a unit installed with all of the above installed with green illumination to make it look as stock as possible.

Thanks in advance or any help from my fellow Skoda owners.

Jay   (Thrice Guy)

Thank you to MilanM for their reply and trying to help me, I appreciate your time very much.

The unit I bought off eBay (audio visual tech) is a Xtrons PCD77MTW, I spoke to a guy at an car audio shop (differnt compant in manchester) who said he could get a adapter that could be fitted but I can only use volume control or track selection control. 

I then sent an email to audio visual tech asking for my money back as it is not as described and not plug and play with VAG multi function steering wheel controls. They have asked me to email them pictures of the connection needed to show their technicians to see if they can source one for me.  I sent the pics yesterday and waiting for a reply. 

I decided against having only volume control adapter fitted as I want both track selection and volume control so I can keep my eyes on the road.

• Like 2

I have a different xtrons model (p76wap iirc), it came with a lead with worked fine with a minor adjustment. All 4 of my wheel controls work. All I'm missing is the display between the gauges.

Some questions:

* mine came with 2 leads  (quadlock/fakra and oldstyle ISO connectors). This lead also connected an included canbus box. Did you get one or both of these leads?

* what year is your car, and which style of connector does your oem radio use?

* what type of oem radio does your car have?

If yours has oldstyle ISO connectors, and a 1din symphony radio, you may need to move 2 pins on the 3part mini ISO plug. The included ISO lead is set up to handle several different car models, however not for the setup used in mk1 superb with above setup.

Thanks for replying Taede. 

I got 2 leads with my unit one where the power cables fit into and another one that I'm not sure any other wires fit into as I have not tried it. My original unit is a DX sat nav unit from a Skoda Superb MK1 Elegance.203885868-w988-h741.jpg.df959b2b35ef4a3dfb8d63bfbe748fd6.jpg

I bought the unit because it was supposed to be plug and play. I'm not very good with auto electrics so I don't know which wires need to go where or as you said minor adjustments needed.

I just wanted to bring my in car technology up to date and also have a few safety features (Dash cam, tyre pressure monitor system and reversing camera, OBD2) and DAB Radio for my good lady.

This is the unit I bought, wires that came with the unit and back of the unit.

pcd77mtw-300.thumb.jpg.2e3c36db90041d1e8b1eea123331c2be.jpgpcd77mtw-8.thumb.jpg.09e1f8733885a49629616ca3e0864e30.jpgB0835386424.jpg.0b94ed7d6573aaf4e586b97c8154b6a6.jpg

I am very grateful to you guys for helping me.  Thank you very much.

Hi guys, 

Bit of an update. This is what happened when I forgot to earth the unit. 

IMG-20180520-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.2e2e8e4b168aec3da270881f3bf8d4aa.jpeg

I pulled the unit when I thought it was released from the console. It wasn't and the screen hit my gear stick and cracked.  

I have sent audio visual tech an e-mail asking if I can replace the front screen on buy a new unit.

I am still waiting for a reply

IMG-20180520-WA0000.jpeg

• Sad 1

Ouch, hope they can sort you out.

I got 2 leads with my unit one where the power cables fit into and another one that I'm not sure any other wires fit into as I have not tried it. My original unit is a DX sat nav unit from a Skoda Superb MK1 Elegance.

That will be the one you want to use, the other one is for cars which come with the newer quadlock connector. This allows the radio to be plug and play with a greater range of vehicles, especially when a model got upgraded from one to the other half-way through the models lifetime.

Regarding steering wheel controls, there are a few options.

First one: There is no canbus at all. In this case the steering wheel controls cannot be deciphered with the included canbus-box. Solution, probably you would need to get the appropriate connects2 loom and box, which may also not be plug and play.

Second option: in the included loom, there are several connectors with a pair of green wires each. one on the radio end, and 2 or more on the car end. You'll want to connect one from the car end to the one on the radio side, until you find which works.

When it does work, this will also handle the function of the ignition-wire and illumination wire, so you want to disconnect the connector with the red/orange wire pair. Otherwise the radio may be permanently on. Disconnect these before trying the different green pairs.

P.S. Wire colours may vary, as I mentioned your radio is a newer version with some differences from mine. 

I used to have a printout of the elsawin page for radio pin layouts for the car, but no longer have it. If someone is able to post that it might help diagnose what is needed for your car specifically.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your replies Taede and Nackuk.

Nackuk, that is the unit I have bought.

Taede, I e-mail audio visual tech and they said they will die a new screen for £40, they asked me to post it back to them in Leeds, they have even e-mailed me a pre-paid postage label too which I thought was good of them.

Sorry for anyone following the post, as soon as I have the unit back I will post again. As for the multi function steering wheel controls, I will research into the correct connect2 loom and also how to wire in the loom from the car as Taede suggested.

Hope everyone is well, be safe on the roads guys and gals.

T.G 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Audio Visual Tech got back in touch after I sent the unit back to them.  They told me it can not be repaired.

I will have to buy another unit next pay day.  

There is a canbus box that came with the unit.  I will link up the canbus box when i have the new unit delivered.  Failing that I will have to go down the connect2 harness route.

Take care you fine people.

T.G 

On May 23, 2018 at 12:17, Domino59 said:

Will this work with the original CD changer?

I don't think so Domino59.  My plan was to transfer my music onto an SD card and plug it into the unit. There is one CD slot and AUX port for 3.5mm jack from I-Pod or Phone.  There is also blue tooth but I am not sure if this applies to music or just phone calls.

• 1 month later...

Hi guys and gals. 

Sorry for the dalay.  Very quick update.      ((((  PICTURES TO FOLLOW   )))          The new unit is in but sticks out a tiny bit.  Also, dash cam is in and working.  I bought a new ariel which has both FM/AM & DAB SMA connector (Installed new ariel onlt to find the DAB USB stick is faulty, so getting in touch with the company to get a replacement).  Ran the wire from the unit through to the boot for the reversing camera (still needs a hole drilling before it can be installed properly)  front ashtray now has a AUX & USB port in it (I have removed the lighter socket, it just needs tightening up properly, also bought a twin USB cable to hopefully be able to attach the DAB USB stick and connect the other to the USB to the one in the 12v socket for charging only, unit only has 2 USB ports on the back so i can not hook my ipod up to it, i will have to blue tooth music from my phone or save it to a micro SD card, max capacity is 128gb for this unit).  Still waiting to hear back about how to install the tyre pressure monitoring system.  Also still waiting to hear back about the multi function steering wheel compatibility / guide from the company too.  

I will get there eventually my fellow skoda friends,

I'm doing all of this because I want an up to date unit with a few modern features.  I will take pictures tomorrow (Saturday 21st July)

Take care out there on the roads, always be safe and you'll never have to feel sorry.

T.G   (Trice_Guy)

• Like 1

Few pics of bits of progress here folks

Unit installed, dash cam installed, AUX and DAB Radio USB cable (this is the one that I am going to put the splitter on for a double USB cable), AUX and USB (Charging only) in the 12v lighter socket.

It's all slowly coming together

Thanks to Milan for following the post

20180722_120649.jpg

20180722_120704.jpg

20180722_120749.jpg

20180722_120956.jpg

• Like 3

I will be taking pictures of the problems I am having / coming across tomorrow. I think it will be better with pictures and a decription of the problems. If anybody on the forum can help with advice or help in person I would be extremely grateful (Cups of tea / coffee offered) 

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

T.G

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys and gals,

Apologies for how long it has taken to bump the post with an update. Recently changed jobs and been very busy. 

Pic 1 is the second wiring loom that came with the unit (don't know if it is any use to hook up the multi function steering wheel controls)20180728_125730.thumb.jpg.4c36d39363a5dcc3b5bac734ea468587.jpg

Pic 2 is labelled reverse in (reversing camera power???)20180728_125049.thumb.jpg.57a2d0f2a8a4d53dbfe0b084e8cdadfc.jpg

Pic 3 is the reverse camera wire that has been run through the car hidden in the cars trim into the boot. (The other end of the wire has the same yellow plug and red power wire) The one in the boot needs to be connected to the reverse lights. I'm guessing the other end of the red wire needs to connect to the reverse in wire in pic 2. The other end of the yellow wire is already plugged into CAM in the back of the stereo unit.20180818_084532.thumb.jpg.99084d0976f72ac41f70eee860d1edd0.jpg

Pic 4 is KEY2-5V.  I don't know what this is for20180728_125036.thumb.jpg.2a8275fd1b73d5b80057d3f839c1f98c.jpg

Pic 5 is BRAKE-IN. Again don't know what this is for.20180728_125006.thumb.jpg.358b27929f15a7983756a8eacdb63c7f.jpg

20180728_124937.jpg

Pic 6 is AMP-CON (Don't know what this is for)20180818_100209.thumb.jpg.05104ce411513294e3d3477d26350c89.jpg

Pic 7 is ANT+12V (I don't think I need this as I have bought a new ariel which I can also connect the DAB USB stick to)20180728_124849.thumb.jpg.c531434e00ee392df40f71fc8bc7db7f.jpg

Pic 8 is CAN BUS DECODER

20180728_124622.thumb.jpg.ab17b57fc0aa7a5737abd65e7daaa1e5.jpg

Pic 9 final pic is CAN BUS BOX (I think???)

20180728_124355.thumb.jpg.5d0ce045a057eb37cc346c7f5d6a73e9.jpg

As said earlier, any help from anyone would be a great help, I just have no idea of how to connect the steering wheel controls.

Thanks in advance.

T.G 

Pic 1 is an alternative loom with a quadlock/fakra connector. It is to be used if you were installing this in a newer car which uses this instead of the iso connections that are present in your car. 

Brake-In: Can be ignored, but intended to receive  a signal that the handbrake is on. Useful if you want certain actions disabled unless the car is stationary with the handbrake on.

Reverse-in: run a wire to the reversing light, it'll let the unit know the car is in reverse and enables the rear view cam. Personally I'd run a dedicated wire, and use the wire with the yellow rca plugs (pic 3) only for the camera signal. ignore the red wiry bits. The camera itself can always be powered from for instance the reversing sensors or the lighter socket in the boot.

ANT+12v: For powered arials, your car won't have on of those, can be ignored.

Amp-con (amplifier control): you wont need this unless you have an amplifier in your car somewhere

Canbus decoder: connects to a plug in the loom, this takes care of steering wheel controls and some other info (dependent on whether your car has canbus and to what extent it does)

Last pic, not sure. Looks like the rectifier-filter from the ebay listing. Definitely nothing to do with canbus

Not sure what key2-5v is for, might be one of the 3 steering wheel key wires. is there any key1/key2/key ground wires? these might be needed if your car turns out not to have canbus. Before you try anything with these, try to see if you can get the canbus working. I shall see if I can dig up the relevant page which can tell us how steering wheel controls get sent to the dx headunit.

• Like 1

Hi tease, thanks for your reply buddy I appreciate it. I'm not auto electrical minded. Do I have to take the wires out of my original steering wheel control plug (pic below of DX Unit plug) 

20180519_090833.thumb.jpg.35a66fbab7694fb46db09f127958f15c.jpg

20180519_073240.jpg.d1c8f720e1bf84b4df75fc897dbd03e7.jpg

and solder and heat shrink it to the canbus box? Not sure what wires I need to connect to the canbus box.

Ok, ive found the pages I need. looks like your oem headunit does have canbus, but it isnt used for steering wheel controls.

20180519_090833.jpg

This plug is for the navigation. It does come with can-bus wires, but it is unlikely to carry steering wheel controls. unfortunately this means the included can-bus box is superfluous to your car, just leave it disconnected.

Steering wheel controls come in through an analog wire in the tri-colour plug. Luckily there is a connects2 lead for this. Look for CTSSK001.2 and be sure to select the CHINA or UNIVERSAL patch lead. Like this one: eBay link

Installation instructions are included, but in short:

1: Hook up main connects2 lead between the cars connectors and the xtrons lead.

2: the connects2 box connects to dedicated plug in the lead

3: patch lead plus into connects2 box on one end, the other end will have 2 wires (or 3 if ground is included, cant remember off hand). These need to be wired up to KEY1, KEY2 (and potentially GROUND) in the xtrons lead.

Once this is done you will need to go into settings on the headunit, and set up the keys, and that should be you. It might be best to simply twist the wires together, and make sure everything works as intended before making the connection permanent by way of soldering or crimping.

Taede, you are an absolute legend. Thank you so much. I will e-mail the seller with my car details to make sure I get the correct patch lead too. 

I'll order the right one them have a go at installing it. 

Thank you again 

• Like 1

I've bought the lead with the Chinese patch lead.

It's in the post. I will be (attempting) to install it this weekend hopefully.

The tyre pressure monitoring system they sent was wrong (sent the mk2 superb one) so I will be sending it back for a refund. So I won't be installing the tyre pressure monitoring system due to it not being plugged into the unit and not wanting a random box placed on my cars dash.

The DAB USB is also being sent back for a replacement to be sent.

I will keep you guys and gals updated.

Take care out there on the roads folks 

T.G

• Like 1