4x4

VW / Skoda seem to never be sure, or main dealer employees can not decide, is it every 3 years, or 40,000 miles or 30,000 miles.

They do not even remember to do it to cars that supposedly have Full Main Dealer Service History, 

only that is not always to Manufacturers Schedule / Guidelines.

So every 30,000 miles is a good plan. 

http://skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed 

My understanding is 40,000. And I agree they don't know, and it got missed from my servicing until I asked about it and it turned out to be overdue. 

@ participating dealers £69.   The service desk staff will likely know nothing unless the computer screen clearly explains.

they will not know filter or no filter.  they migh not know the haldex is not the gearbox, and they might not ask a technician.

You can do it yourself, there are guides in Briskoda.

http://skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed 

The prices of Participating Dealers doing work  are in 'maintenance'. 

Edited by Offski
  • Like 2

As the others say, 30-40k. It is important that the fluid stay clean because they do not clean the filter on the pump. They just change the fluid. Once that filter is clogged, no 4x4 and can also lead to pump failure. Then you are out 300€.

While the haldex is fast to activate and effective, it is not very robust, in my experience and requires routine preventative maintenance to avoid costly repairs down the road.

I had to clean filter - and replace oil - in my Halden almost exactly at 20k ;) from now on I'll do it together with every second engine oil change - in my case every 10k - just in case ;)

The Superb II has a Haldex Gen 4 AWD which is a clutch based 4x4, but the computer adds its function for quite a few driving conditions like acceleration, cornering and not just slipping front wheels.

Our Superb has just hit the 40000M  and I made enquieries about the price for parts or the oil and filter change service. The Skoda main dealer told me that they would do an oil change, but it would not get a filter change BECAUSE THERE IS NO FILTER in the clutch.

I am buying oil and filter and doing it myself again. I did it on my old V70 AWD on a Haldex Gen 3 which was more of a pain.

In the past VW recommended an oil change every 20000M and oil + filter ever 40000M, now they seem to have changed tac. Volvo went the other way. The main dealer always told you the Haldex oil was a fill for life and now they recommend regular servicing.

Borgwarner - the Haldex producer - strange enough sells a non-existent filter : https://www.haldexparts.com/111358_AUDI,_VW,_Seat,_Skoda_GEN_4_AWD_oil_filter/p2624653_14766012.aspx

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...